New Vp Stealth Paint Coming Off

Crim

Add me to the list of VERY CAREFUL users whose Pilot VP Stealth has begun to discolor and chip. Has anyone heard anything further about Pilot's stance on this issue?

PS: To professionaldilettante... Respectfully, my pens are stored in an 'approved' pen chest and I carry them only in an 'approved' pen case. So please don't suggest that I that I treat my pens like trash.

I just got a Matte Black VP a week ago, and I am loving the nib. However, I notice the same problem near the

push button, at the bottom of the pen. It is very mild right not but I bet it will get worse. I think that I am so

lucky I paid a very low price for it, because this is definitely a flaw in the manufacturing of the pen and the

materials used to construct it. :unsure: Might decide to let the pen go after sometime if it gets worse, or

simply sell the pen as a nib section... It's a super smooooth M. Haha, it might not even make a difference.

Edited by nicholasyeo

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Crim

• professionaldilettante

• alvarez57

• rjcm

Hello Everyone!

I have my eye on this pen for quite a while and came across this thread today. I was curious if this issue still exists and how Pilot have addressed the problem for the people who have faced the scratching/chipping away of the coating problem. If anyone has used this pen for more than a year, it would be nice if they can advice if the coating is coming off or getting scratched for their own pen.

Thanx :)

Call me weird but I actually like the brassing on my VP, I think it has more character now. It reminds me of my black paint Nikon F3 that is brassing at the edges through many years of use and also a black paint Leica MP I once owned. The VP is one of my pocket pens (along with Lamy 2000s) I have never babied it.

Hello Everyone!

I have my eye on this pen for quite a while and came across this thread today. I was curious if this issue still exists and how Pilot have addressed the problem for the people who have faced the scratching/chipping away of the coating problem. If anyone has used this pen for more than a year, it would be nice if they can advice if the coating is coming off or getting scratched for their own pen.

Thanx :)

I purchased a stealth VP from Goulet's earlier in the year and the coating is definitely wearing away, mostly around the bottom near the nib housing and the sides of the push-button. For the latter, I believe there must be some sort of component inside the pen itself that's brushing up against the button, since the coating is being worn away in specific patterns. Apart from these two areas, the pen is otherwise pristine. No scratches on the body, no wearing away of the coating.

But I have to stress the 'patina' is very, very light. You'd have to really inspect the pen up close to notice it. I have tried to take care of it in a general manner (I haven't placed the VP in my pocket with coins/keys for e.g.), but I have dropped it around 3-4 times on vinyl flooring to no ill effect.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Just a heads up. I recieved a vanishing point in gunmetal with the matte black clip and button clicker. I sent it in to the us namiki repair facility. I've been waiting three weeks so far with nonword back. Hoping they can fix or replace it for me. The scratched paint was really bugging me. For $150 I don't see why they can't come up with a more permanent solution then crappy paint.

So while this is a great looking pen, the finish may be more susceptible to scratching than other versions of the VP. My stealth VP now rides in my shirt placket - away from keys, coins, and other abrasives. If my chest hair further abrades the powdercoating, I shall write a very stern letter sprinkled with verbiage seldom read in polite and deferential Japan.

You made me laugh so hard with this ending, thank you!

I can relate to the sadness of scratching in ones pens, I just dropped a glass ashtray (Don't even smoke, not that that has any relevance..) on my unpolished Shu Naka-ai yesterday, it slipped from my grip as I lifted it across the table and it hit the Nakaya.. Only got minor scratches but no fun to get the first scratches in urushi laquer either.. Scratches are no fun, period! :(

Edited by trax

If you take care of the minutes, the years will take care of themselves. -Tibetan saying.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Just a heads up. I recieved a vanishing point in gunmetal with the matte black clip and button clicker. I sent it in to the us namiki repair facility. I've been waiting three weeks so far with nonword back. Hoping they can fix or replace it for me. The scratched paint was really bugging me. For $150 I don't see why they can't come up with a more permanent solution then crappy paint.

Was the finish only wearing away on the black trim (nose cone/clip/clicker/center double bands)? I'd heard the regular barrel color finishes weren't as susceptible to wear.

• 2 months later...

Hello, my name is Robert and this is my first post.

I just bought a black vp with chrome trim.

I love the pen so much and the finish should last forever.

I now am going to buy a matte black pen. The brassing should be looked at as patina and compared to a black painted Leica camera with brassing on the edges etc.

Don't look at the brassing as a fault but just wear on this special pen. although scrapes and scores should be avoided.

Hi Robert!

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

-Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I'm going to order the matte black vanishing point this evening.

I like the idea of having this classic pen, especially with wear marks after a lot of use. Scratches, I will try to avoid though.

My shiny black vanishing point would look awful with any marks so I'll keep it good.

And I just pulled the trigger... not half an hour ago. Bummer.

I'm surprised that this issue hasn't come up sooner. tongue.gif

Same here...

Well, I will have a soft leather pouch ready for the pen, but this is disappointing: a capless should be a sturdy pen for hard use...

I don't have a stealth black but the common-lacquered Pilots. I don't want to be harsh, obnoxious, etc...but man! None of my pens, even cheap plastic gets carried on a pocket with coins, keys!!! :yikes:...not even if I had a titanium pen! I don't even treat my titanium bike like that! :sm_cat:

I quite agree.

I bought this pen a little while ago and am running into the same problems. Mine lives in the pocket of my chef coat and it seems as though I am having the same problem as everyone else here. Mine does go through quite a few environmental changes on a day to day basis (in and out of a walk-in, freezer, the grill, fryers, etc.) but I don't think this should have an effect on the pen...

I did just chalk it up to the pen itself though, I still use it (and still will), it is kind of in the same spot as my TWSBI pens right now (which still have cracking issues in terms of the caps and barrels for me :/). Not sure if that means I am more rough with my pens or not, but I have my Alexandre Dumas MB that has absolutely no issues (and yes, on occasion I bring this to work just because it is nice to rock a nice pen every now and again, not just at home).

I have found that the Pilot 823 is a great pen to use away from home. I like the idea of the Vanishing Point pens but not the ink reserve on them. My Pilot 823 is stuck in my pants pocket most of the time or in the middle console of my car. I am at various places with the pen and it never lets me down. The finish has held up remarkably well. I could see how being a Chef that a Pilot Vanishing Point would be better since it is one click, especially during busy times. You may want to try a Pilot 823 as a carry pen sometime.

I bought this pen a little while ago and am running into the same problems. Mine lives in the pocket of my chef coat and it seems as though I am having the same problem as everyone else here. Mine does go through quite a few environmental changes on a day to day basis (in and out of a walk-in, freezer, the grill, fryers, etc.) but I don't think this should have an effect on the pen...

I did just chalk it up to the pen itself though, I still use it (and still will), it is kind of in the same spot as my TWSBI pens right now (which still have cracking issues in terms of the caps and barrels for me :/). Not sure if that means I am more rough with my pens or not, but I have my Alexandre Dumas MB that has absolutely no issues (and yes, on occasion I bring this to work just because it is nice to rock a nice pen every now and again, not just at home).