New Vp Stealth Paint Coming Off

Crim

I wouldn't say return it. It's a nice looking pen. I know I'm not happy with the durability of the finish, but the pen is still great. I knew it'd get scratches eventually. Just wish the undercoat was black too. Try the pen out and if you like it buy something to keep it in. I'm already half way to ordering a couple of pen wraps because of this pen. Finally gave me the excuse to get a wrap. Just wish I would have known how finicky it was before I stuck it in my bag.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Crim

• professionaldilettante

• alvarez57

• rjcm

The clip on mine started brassing already on the edges of the clip. I only keep in inside my front shirt pocket.

This does not bode well for me as the only other pen that did that was my Pilot Knight and within less than a year, it has become an unsightly mess.

Both pens had a similar matt metal finish. I'm going to stick to plastic pens from Pilot from now on or stop using these as daily writers.

No, I do not abuse my pens in case you are wondering.

Wow, I'm glad I read this before buying one. That's definitely a deal breaker; what a shame.

I have carried each of my VPs clipped to my right front trouser pocket, along with my keys and often along with change coins - and I can find no sign of damage on any of these pens except for the Matte Black Stealth.

I think it’s a manufacturing defect and would send the pen back to Pilot as a warranty claim. Matte is supposed to be more rugged than lacquer. That’s why it’s used on survivalist gear and on boats.

Other pens get it right. My Space Pen has matte over brass. I carry it in the bottom of my daypack and use it for hiking in the snow. Three years later it still has no scratches.

Pilot created an expectation of durability with their VP line. I carry my navy blue VP in my pocket with keys and coins and have had no problem after more than a year. If Pilot intentionally makes a finish that is less durable they should tell us. Otherwise it is reasonable to expect that a matte finish will hold up as well as any of their others, if not better. It’s clear that the matte finish does not meet the quality standard of Pilot’s other VP finishes. Pilot should accept the responsibility and make things right for their customers.

Carpe Stilo

I don't have a stealth black but the common-lacquered Pilots. I don't want to be harsh, obnoxious, etc...but man! None of my pens, even cheap plastic gets carried on a pocket with coins, keys!!!:yikes:...not even if I had a titanium pen! I don't even treat my titanium bike like that! :meow:

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

Why try and make us feel silly for being disappointed with the integrity of this VP's coat? I wouldn't mind a scratch as long as the pen kept it's "stealth". When I saw pictures of the old VP stealth with scratches, the pen was still all black. So forgive me if I expected a little more.

The older VP stealth pen is plastic and the color is through the plastic

The newer VP stealth is powder coated over brass

when powder coating is scratched or worn the underlying material shows through.... unlike black plastic.

I don't have a stealth black but the common-lacquered Pilots. I don't want to be harsh, obnoxious, etc...but man! None of my pens, even cheap plastic gets carried on a pocket with coins, keys!!!:yikes:...not even if I had a titanium pen! I don't even treat my titanium bike like that! :meow:

I do the same. I have one pocket dedicated to carrying my one or two pens and then everything else goes in every other pocket. My pen(s) have a reserved pocket to stay nice and comfort along with scratch free.

I do the same. I have one pocket dedicated to carrying my one or two pens and then everything else goes in every other pocket. My pen(s) have a reserved pocket to stay nice and comfort along with scratch free.

I only carry my pens "naked" clipped on to a shirt pocket. If I don't have any shirt pockets, or need more than one pen, I use an Aston 2-pen leather pen case I got from Goulet Pens, carried in my pocket with only my wallet.

Again, I'm going to steer clear of this pen myself, I'm glad I got this threads warning! To the earlier poster who just received one, I would return it. If you liked the pen for its writing, size, etc, not just its all black looks, you can always get one of the other lacquered VPs, with a great reputation of durability and quality.

I never abuse my pens, and I would never carry my pens in a pants pocket (I use either a SAFE coat or shirt pocket, or a leather pen case). So I understand why many are pointing this out. But the member who kept his Stealth VP in his pant's pocket is not the only member reporting the problem. This pen's 'coating' is obviously far from what one should expect from a $140 pen from a line of some of the most useable pens on the market. I guess in the end, the market will decide how long they continue selling these.

Edited by Gobblecup

Gobblecup ~

I don’t consider pants-pocket carry to be abuse. In fact, carrying a fountain pen in a trouser pocket is a time honored tradition.

Back in the 1940s, Sheaffer advertised their Tuckaway as a perfect pen for “trouser-pocket” carry. I regularly carry my 70-year old Tuckaway in a pants pocket (with keys and coins), and it holds up fine. In the 1950s, when I was learning to write cursive, I carried a $1 cartridge pen in my pants pocket and it never had a problem. And my navy blue VP shows no signs of damage after a year of pocket carry.

Obviously, not all pens can be safely carried in a pants pocket. But for Pilot to make a matte black VP that is not pants-pocket safe—while making the rest of the VP line so that it is—and then naming the pen “Stealth” (a tactical name with an implied tactical finish) doesn’t make much sense. If Fisher can make a black-matte finish for $20 that holds up on the moon, Pilot should at least be able to make one that's pants-pocket safe on a $140 pen.

I bought my blue VP expressly for trouser-pocket carry. It works fine for that purpose, and if it didn’t, I wouldn’t carry it.

Carpe Stilo

Again, I'm going to steer clear of this pen myself, I'm glad I got this threads warning! To the earlier poster who just received one, I would return it. If you liked the pen for its writing, size, etc, not just its all black looks, you can always get one of the other lacquered VPs, with a great reputation of durability and quality.

I never abuse my pens, and I would never carry my pens in a pants pocket (I use either a SAFE coat or shirt pocket, or a leather pen case). So I understand why many are pointing this out. But the member who kept his Stealth VP in his pant's pocket is not the only member reporting the problem. This pen's 'coating' is obviously far from what one should expect from a $140 pen from a line of some of the most useable pens on the market. I guess in the end, the market will decide how long they continue selling these.

..b-bbbut not with coins and keys.... :crybaby:

sonia alvarez

..b-bbbut not with coins and keys.... :crybaby:

Yes... very true! :gaah:

Gobblecup ~

...snip...But for Pilot to make a matte black VP that is not pants-pocket safe—while making the rest of the VP line so that it is—and then naming the pen “Stealth” (a tactical name with an implied tactical finish) doesn’t make much sense. ...snip...

But Pilot does not call the pen "Stealth", it is referred to as the Black Matte Vanishing Point Retractable Fountain Pen inside the package and as the Vanishing Point Black Matte on their website. I believe that "Stealth" is a nickname coined by users, not the manufacturer. Just saying.

Regards,

Rick

Life Is Not A Rehearsal.

Our Pen Club: http://londonpenclub.com

Our Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/254419004945988/

...snip...But for Pilot to make a matte black VP that is not pants-pocket safe—while making the rest of the VP line so that it is—and then naming the pen “Stealth” (a tactical name with an implied tactical finish) doesn’t make much sense. ...snip...

But Pilot does not call the pen "Stealth", it is referred to as the Black Matte Vanishing Point Retractable Fountain Pen inside the package and as the Vanishing Point Black Matte on their website. I believe that "Stealth" is a nickname coined by users, not the manufacturer. Just saying.

Regards,

Rick

You may be right. But if Namiki does not use the word “stealth” specifically, they certainly use the definition. The brochure states that the pen’s finish is: inspired by radar invisible technology used in state-of-the-art military aircraft.

See Pilot VP Brochure

This is a poor choice of words for a finish that is apparently decorative but not functional. And VP sellers can hardly be blamed for substituting a word that means the same thing.

I would return the pen in hopes of coverage under warranty. Namiki can only do three things: they can fix it, exchange it, or deny the claim.

Regards,

Ashby

Carpe Stilo

Regards,

Rick

You may be right. But if Namiki does not use the word “stealth” specifically, they certainly use the definition. The brochure states that the pen’s finish is: inspired by radar invisible technology used in state-of-the-art military aircraft.

See Pilot VP Brochure

This is a poor choice of words for a finish that is apparently decorative but not functional. And VP sellers can hardly be blamed for substituting a word that means the same thing.

I would return the pen in hopes of coverage under warranty. Namiki can only do three things: they can fix it, exchange it, or deny the claim.

Regards,

Ashby

Pilot has said the finish is inspired by, not is, radar invisible technology. Meaning, the flat black paint they use on planes and such. That's like saying a Hummer is not bulletproof... even though it's based off of what can be an armored humvee. That doesn't make sense. This makes sense:

I only carry my pens "naked" clipped on to a shirt pocket. If I don't have any shirt pockets, or need more than one pen, I use an Aston 2-pen leather pen case I got from Goulet Pens, carried in my pocket with only my wallet.

If you're going to treat your pens like trash, aka junk in the bottom of a pocket/bag/drawer, don't expect it to be anything more. I've got a Homo sapiens, and despite it being made of basalt, I don't expect it to take the beating of a stone and keep on coming. Sure, it is nice when it resists a fall off of my desk, but in no way do I expect to grind rocks with this or something. These expectations were never advertised. The pen was never meant to be invincible. It's like people buying pocket knives and break them batoning wood. A 1/8 of an inch thick, 3 inch long pocket knife was never meant to split logs. This puts me in a state of dismay, because people treat their pens like junk and then expect them to last forever. I was just talking to a pen shop owner, about a lady that would bring in a ziplocked bag full of pens. That was how she carried them, in a ziplock bag, with 30 some other pens in there. She would just dump them out on the counter to get refills for them, but then get angry that a pen broke in 2. She'd then try to get the store to replace the pen, because of her negligence. Sorry. That doesn't work that way. I can't pop my lens from glasses, play hockey with them like they do in the commercial, and expect the store to replace them when they do get chipped and scratched.

Just grow up and take care of your pens, especially if you've put your hard earned money into it. Sure, the paint is not bullet proof, but then again, it wasn't Pilot who slipped keys and coins into your pocket.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

I wouldn't say return it. It's a nice looking pen. I know I'm not happy with the durability of the finish, but the pen is still great. I knew it'd get scratches eventually. Just wish the undercoat was black too. Try the pen out and if you like it buy something to keep it in. I'm already half way to ordering a couple of pen wraps because of this pen. Finally gave me the excuse to get a wrap. Just wish I would have known how finicky it was before I stuck it in my bag.

I dunno how an undercoat would matter, since it's flaked off to bare metal. Nothing abrasive would be needed, you could just have an impact with something, and if the paint were inflexible compared to the base metal, it'd flake off easy

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

Why have you posted again so harshly? You posted the same thing above even though the OP did say he did not put it with anything that could scratch. I think it is clear to everyone in this forum that one should not treat pens the same way as the lady in your story but still one can expect pens to live up to some handling.

After all these are actually made for writing not just collecting. And as others have written, the finish on the other VPs is very durable so one could expect a similar behaviour which certainly has not been fulfilled. I for one wanted to get a stealth one but won't now as a VP is first and foremost a Workhorse for me, I do keep my VPs in a case but when I am at work I have to carry one everywhere and walk to and fro and it needs to stand up to some good use in meetings and in the lab. Neither of mine have shown any sign of being used at all. And I would not use any of my other pens the same way as I know that they arent as durable and sturdy as the VPs.

Wish list: Aurora Optima

Current inked Pens: Pilot Decimo - Noodlers BBH, MB Mozart - MB Lavender

Pelikan M150 - Noodlers Kung te Cheng

Just wondering whether anyone has contacted Pilot to enquire if they are aware of this issue, and whether repairs will be covered by their warranty….

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

Why have you posted again so harshly? You posted the same thing above even though the OP did say he did not put it with anything that could scratch. I think it is clear to everyone in this forum that one should not treat pens the same way as the lady in your story but still one can expect pens to live up to some handling.

After all these are actually made for writing not just collecting. And as others have written, the finish on the other VPs is very durable so one could expect a similar behaviour which certainly has not been fulfilled. I for one wanted to get a stealth one but won't now as a VP is first and foremost a Workhorse for me, I do keep my VPs in a case but when I am at work I have to carry one everywhere and walk to and fro and it needs to stand up to some good use in meetings and in the lab. Neither of mine have shown any sign of being used at all. And I would not use any of my other pens the same way as I know that they arent as durable and sturdy as the VPs.

I think it was not directed to the op but to someone else here that mentioned the same problem but he had it in his pocket with coins and keys.

sonia alvarez

1. Coins and keys may chip off the matte coating, but it does not explain why a pen that travels primarily inside my shirt pocket should chip only around the clip area. ie. it was chipping in the one place that was exposed to the elements.

I don't go body slamming around nor do I crawl on the ground with my rifle (anymore), so there's no reasonable explanation for that. Plus this pen is not the only FP that's in my shirt pocket and none of the other pens suffer this kind of damage so soon after purchase.

2. The only other pen that experienced this kind of thing was my Pilot Knight which also had a matte coating. It experienced so much brassing that after 12 months, it looks horribly abused even though I did nothing to abuse the pen other than to put it into my shirt pocket.

3. I contacted the distributor locally and they basically wanted to have nothing to do with it and they do not see it as their problem at all. My only recourse at the moment is to swap out the barrel and cap for the pristine one that is on my Knight RB as they are interchangeable parts.

4. My Pilot Falcon (metal body) has been around for some time and it does live in my shirt pocket from time to time. Unlike the above two pens, it is in good condition.

I see no reason to assume that the others who posted are people who do not know how to use their pens. On the contrary, I believe they are experienced users who know what they are doing.

• 5 months later...

Add me to the list of VERY CAREFUL users whose Pilot VP Stealth has begun to discolor and chip. Has anyone heard anything further about Pilot's stance on this issue?

PS: To professionaldilettante... Respectfully, my pens are stored in an 'approved' pen chest and I carry them only in an 'approved' pen case. So please don't suggest that I that I treat my pens like trash.