Noodler's Texas Live Oak Green

rcarlisle

No one has posted a review of this ink since is came out in September last year. So I decided to make it the second ink I review.

fpn_1313363307__texasliveoak001.jpg

fpn_1313363333__texasliveoak002.jpg

He came down from heaven and was made man.

fpn_1305512260__inkdroplogofpn.jpg member since May 15th, 2011

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PelikansPlus

• rcarlisle

• USMCMom

• Ultralight

I like that this ink is waterproof, and the touch of blue gives this ink a very appealing tone. And of course, being a Texan, and being a long time admirer of the majestic live oak trees here, I am really tempted to try this ink. But I don't know about only 1oz bottles... sounds like this ink could get expensive if used often. :unsure:

Gobblecup ~

It would be nice if, after a pre-determined length of time, the exclusive inks were offered with the others that are found and purchased of that brand. I bought 2 of the 1oz bottles of Texas Live Oak and haven't used all of one yet, but ... I don't use it as often as I do my other green inks.

What a great green! Do you know if it is bulletproof?

Edited by fiberdrunk

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

This stuff is super waterproof. I don't know if it would stand against bleach or other stuff. But under the running tap, the paper will give before the ink does.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/174585-green-ink-water-resistance-tests/page__view__findpost__p__1751699

Edited by watch_art

As Watch_Art said it may not be "bulletproof" but if it isn't it is the next thing to it. The night I wrote up this review I took a page I had written with it and left it in a tub of water for three hours. There wasn't a trace of change in the ink. No bleeding, no spread, nothing. I took it out of the water and rubbed with a wash rag. The paper tore but the ink did not change. It acts just like my "eternal" Noodler's Empire Red.

What a great green! Do you know if it is bulletproof?

He came down from heaven and was made man.

fpn_1305512260__inkdroplogofpn.jpg member since May 15th, 2011

• 5 months later...

Has anyone by chance compared this shade to Private Reserve Sherwood Green?

I did test the Noodler's Green Marine and it was a bit too yellow rather than with a bluer tinge like Private Reserve. Also Private Reserve is more saturated it seems.

Finally, does a 'bulletproof' ink harm the pen in anyway since it is so permanent?

Thanks,

UL

Edited by Ultralight

I did test the Noodler's Green Marine and it was a bit too yellow rather than with a bluer tinge like Private Reserve. Also Private Reserve is more saturated it seems.

Finally, does a 'bulletproof' ink harm the pen in anyway since it is so permanent?

Thanks,

UL

I was thinking this compares similarly to PR Ebony Green. Noodler's Texas Live Oak looks a little lighter, but both inks have a slight bluish tint to their green. With PR Ebony Green, I get a lot of variation in color and darkness depending on the pen. A drier flowing pen produces a greener line while a wetter flowing pen trends toward black. Dilution produces a nice green that's closer to blue than brown.

Edited by fourseamer

Thanks,

UL

I was thinking this compares similarly to PR Ebony Green. Noodler's Texas Live Oak looks a little lighter, but both inks have a slight bluish tint to their green. With PR Ebony Green, I get a lot of variation in color and darkness depending on the pen. A drier flowing pen produces a greener line while a wetter flowing pen trends toward black. Dilution produces a nice green that's closer to blue than brown.

Thanks for the comments about PR Ebony Green; I will try it. Texas Live Oak also looks nice but I don't know if it's still available... I own MB Irish Green; maybe I don't need another green but I really like these tones. :rolleyes:

Letter writing is the only device for combining solitude with good company.  ~Lord Byron

Thanks for the comments about PR Ebony Green; I will try it. Texas Live Oak also looks nice but I don't know if it's still available... I own MB Irish Green; maybe I don't need another green but I really like these tones. :rolleyes:

I ordered it from Dromgoole's in early December and they had it then. They also had Texas Pecan and Texas Bluebonnet, but were out of Alamo's Twilight. :(

I ordered it from Dromgoole's in early December and they had it then. They also had Texas Pecan and Texas Bluebonnet, but were out of Alamo's Twilight. :(

Thanks for the update! I have been wondering about Texas Bluebonnet ever since reading about it. I don't know what Alamo's Twilight looks like, but I sure like the name. I'll give Dromgoole's a call and hope for the best. :rolleyes:

Letter writing is the only device for combining solitude with good company.  ~Lord Byron

Texas Live Oak is a beautiful ink, but please note it is very wet. It'll make your nib a size or two larger.

Thanks for the heads-up. In my limited use of Diamine Oxblood, I have the found the same to be true of it. I like the color very much, but I will have to use Clairefontaine or some other hard-surfaced paper to prevent feathering (tried Ox in a medium nib TWSBI). May have to switch to a fine nib, as you recommended.

• 4 months later...

No one has posted a review of this ink since is came out in September last year. So I decided to make it the second ink I review.

fpn_1313363307__texasliveoak001.jpg

fpn_1313363333__texasliveoak002.jpg

I just bought a bottle at Dromgoole's and I'm looking forward to trying it! Dromgoole's had several (1oz) bottles on the shelf.