Leaky Century

jumper

I've been lurking here for some time and this is my first post. I have a Cross Century that I bought in the mid '80s. It's served me well and is a good writer. I only use the cross carts with it as well. The other day I had the cap posted and when I took it off the barrel was full of ink. I cleaned the cap and continued to use the pen. Then next time I opened the pen the same thing happened. I cleaned the cap and the nib section and put in a new cartridge. The pen writes fine but when I uncap it there is ink all around the silver collar above the nib. I looked it over well with a loop and can't find any cracks anywhere. The attached photo shows the ink around the collar after being capped for about a minute.

Thanks for any help

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b116/GeeFive/_MG_9736.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jumper

• OcalaFlGuy

• stuartk

• FLJeepGuy

Does the Century use the screw in Cross converter? If so, are you sure you got it fully screwed in the last time you cleaned and/or filled the pen? If not, additional air may be getting into the works and letting ink leak. Also, if you're using the original converter, the seals on the piston or the nipple could be worn, allowing air in.

My first suggestion is to disassemble and clean the pen fully including the converter. If the converter is the original one from the '80s I'd suggest getting a new one as well. I'd bet you that's where the problem lies, and since a converter is inexpensive, it would be the first thing to try.

Collection Counts: Cross-4, Esterbrook-15, Eversharp-1, Graf von Faber-Castell-1, Jinhao-2, Kaweco-1, Lamy-6, Levenger-2, Monteverde-1, Pilot/Namiki-3, Noodler's-1, Parker-18, Rotring-10, Sailor-1, Sheaffer-19, TWSBI-1, Visconti-4, Waterford-1, Waterman-7

Favorite Inks: Diamine, Levenger, Private Reserve, Noodler's Lexington Gray

Does the Century use the screw in Cross converter? If so, are you sure you got it fully screwed in the last time you cleaned and/or filled the pen? If not, additional air may be getting into the works and letting ink leak. Also, if you're using the original converter, the seals on the piston or the nipple could be worn, allowing air in.

My first suggestion is to disassemble and clean the pen fully including the converter. If the converter is the original one from the '80s I'd suggest getting a new one as well. I'd bet you that's where the problem lies, and since a converter is inexpensive, it would be the first thing to try.

I just cleaned it when I noticed the leak the first time. I only use cartridges.

Do a forum search for "century leaks" or some such and see what you come up with.

There was a systemic issue with the Century I nib sections, I think it was loosely called the Century Classic nib wobble where the nib would loosen within the collar. Cross long ago ran out of Century I parts and was substituting new Century II pens of the same model for warranty "repairs". (Think of another company that would give you a brand new 14kt gold filled pen in exchange for your busted one you bought on Fleabay...)

From all I read it sure sounded to me like a repair a good nibmeister could handle and that is too nice of a nib to trash from some fairly easily repairable issue.

Bruce in Ocala, FL-no issue with mine yet knock on 14k gf

Does the Century use the screw in Cross converter?

No, those are for the Century II.

I've been lurking here for some time and this is my first post. I have a Cross Century that I bought in the mid '80s. It's served me well and is a good writer. I only use the cross carts with it as well. The other day I had the cap posted and when I took it off the barrel was full of ink. I cleaned the cap and continued to use the pen. Then next time I opened the pen the same thing happened. I cleaned the cap and the nib section and put in a new cartridge. The pen writes fine but when I uncap it there is ink all around the silver collar above the nib. I looked it over well with a loop and can't find any cracks anywhere. The attached photo shows the ink around the collar after being capped for about a minute.

I had a century with the same problem. I wound up sending it back to Cross and they replaced it with a Century II.

Yeah that is the issue, I really don't want it replaced with a C II.

I had a century with the same problem. I wound up sending it back to Cross and they replaced it with a Century II.

Yeah that is the issue, I really don't want it replaced with a C II.

The C II can be very nice pens (I have 4 of them now), but it certainly isn't an exact replacement for the Century. I just don't know of any other solution to the problem.

There may be people out there who will work on Century FPs, but I haven't heard of any so far.

As I already mentioned,

If it were me and we were talking say one of the really nice 14kt CCIs, I'd contact Ron Zorn, Richard Binder or another top tier repair person.

It is an issue with the feed collar I think. We aren't talking rocket surgery here.

Would I do it for a chrome/stainless nib CCI, probably not. But for the 14kt listed for over $200 new and is IMO an iconic pen? In a heartbeat.

Bruce in Ocala, FL-too nice of a pen to trash for such a simple reason

As I already mentioned,

If it were me and we were talking say one of the really nice 14kt CCIs, I'd contact Ron Zorn, Richard Binder or another top tier repair person.

It is an issue with the feed collar I think. We aren't talking rocket surgery here.

Would I do it for a chrome/stainless nib CCI, probably not. But for the 14kt listed for over $200 new and is IMO an iconic pen? In a heartbeat.

Bruce in Ocala, FL-too nice of a pen to trash for such a simple reason

What about the 10K GF pen with the solid gold nib?

Send it back to Cross?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 1 month later...

Well I sent it to the repair centre here in Canada about 6 weeks ago and yesterday I got a package back. They replaced my pen with a 1/20 14Kt gold Century and they returned the original as well as a 'keepsake' The new pen is a well built writer, the fine nib is wetter and seems a little more broad than my original. I'd have to give a gold star to Cross for customer service.

Well, I always say everywhere here that Cross has the best warranty and customer service.

They gave you back your pen and comped you about a $250 pen.

There's not another pen company on the planet that would do that. :thumbup:

Bruce in Ocala, FL-good on ya Cross