How Did I Do/what Is This?

eherreid

Made my first ever in-the-wild more-or-less-vintage pen purchase today: a Sheaffer "Cartridge Pen" from an antique store. I figured it was an acceptable risk, since there wasn't a filling system likely to need restoration. Am I right in assuming this is essentially an early School Pen?

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6128/6015759592_105ac89fe1.jpg

IMG_0782 by littleflowerpetals, on Flickr

The cap is a bit tarnished, but otherwise it seems in decent condition. Friction fit cap, and it's a little wobbly.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6149/6015207889_d9ddf02667.jpg

IMG_0783 by littleflowerpetals, on Flickr

Conical nib:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6129/6015760218_7fe3695c10.jpg

Sheaffer Cartridge Pen nib by littleflowerpetals, on Flickr

It's not an amazing nib, but not bad, either. Should it turn up like that? I know nuffin about Sheaffers. It doesn't look as though it was intentionally bent, so I assume that's normal.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6014/6015760628_35a9c2f2f7.jpg

Cartridge Pen nib side view by littleflowerpetals, on Flickr

The cartridge missing from the box slot on the left was still inside the pen. I rinsed the pen, added a little water to the cartridge, popped it back in, and the little guy fired right up! I have some additional Sheaffer cartridges to use for it for now, and I figure I can always refill with a syringe. I'm assuming the current converters won't work with it--is that accurate?

One of the reasons I suspect this was early was that the instructions include info on essentially using the cartridge as a converter in an emergency--apparently assuming most folks would have easy access to bottled ink, but not necessarily to cartridges!

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6134/6015779676_e8f04ea76d.jpg

Sheaffer Info by littleflowerpetals, on Flickr

All in all, not a super fancy pen, and for twenty dollars, I likely overpaid compared to some on-line sources, but hey, instant gratification!

I'd be grateful for anything you can tell me about it!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eherreid

• WanderingAuthor

• jar

• Sigismund

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That was the first step up from the base cartridge pens, still in the overall shape of the first generation but with the triumph nib instead of the open nib. The turn up on the tip is completely normal and correct. It's likely the Sheaffer squeeze converters and even the modern converters will fit.

It's one that is seen far less often than the open nib design and almost always was a superb writer.

HINT:

Don't try squeezing them old cartridges too many times. :roflmho:

My Website

Looks pretty nice. Let us know how it writes.

I still have my first Sheaffer cartridge pen, but it was only from the 80's and I borrowed it from my brother - maybe he wants it back ;)

...sprang into being, town and garden alike from my cup of tea. - M.Proust

If I'd seen that pen for twenty bucks, I'd have snatched it up so fast... That's a Triumph nib. Those are some of the nicest, smoothest nibs on the planet. They're usually like writing in butter. :cloud9:

I'm really surprised those pens don't go for a whole lot more than they do. Not that I'm complaining. I only own three Sheaffers with Triumph nibs right now, and I'm just as happy for the price to stay nice and low until I have, oh, say, ten thousand... :ltcapd:

ETA: Of course, if you experience "buyer's remorse" and decide you wish you really hadn't bought it, I'd gladly give you the twenty plus the cost of shipping it to me. ;) But I'll bet if you took me up on that, you'd regret it.

Edited by WanderingAuthor

My Quest for Grail Pens:

Onoto The Pen 5500

Gold & Brown Onoto Magna (1937-40)

Tangerine Swan 242 1/2

Large Tiger Eye LeBoeuf

Esterbrook Blue-Copper Marbled Relief 2-L

the Wandering Author

OK, now that I know the nib is supposed to turn up a bit like that and it isn't broken...I did a little more playing with it. I refilled a Sheaffer cartridge with one of my favorite inks (Noodler's Blue-Black) and gave it a more in-depth go. It was a little scratchy with the reconstituted ink, but with the new ink it's quite nice--a fine, wet nib that's fairly smooth with a slight bit of spring.

I think it will be used!