... Pilot Custom 823 ...

TMLee

Any 823 owners here had their nibs stubbed ?

1) I'd like to see writing samples ...

2) Whats your writing experience with this pen? Firm ? Flexy? Springy? Toothy feedback?

(so far, reviews on this FP have been mainly good ...)

I understand its the same size as 743 which has 15 :yikes: options of nibs.

Not so with the 823 - which only offers the F, M and B

3) anyone here also swap the nib section between the 743 and the 823 ? Is it perfectly interchangeable ? Filling system affected ?

TIA :P

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TMLee

• blopplop

• WOBentley

I ordered my 823 custom with a B nib ground into a CI by John Mottishaw. The nib does not really have any significant spring or flex to me but is buttery smooth and has inkflow just the way I requested (about 6-7/10). The pen is currently filled with Akkerman Bezuidenwoudgroen ink which I have promised to post a scan of sometime soon. So...if you watch the ink reviews section over the next few days maybe you will see it there.

Dave

Edited by WOBentley

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

I had one of my P-823's retipped by Greg Minuskin. Just got it back Monday.

I love it!!!!

Dave

DSCN5330.JPG

DSCN5332.JPG

DSCN5333.JPG

DSCN5334.JPG

DSCN5335.JPG

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/fpn-verm.jpg

Wow !

That's a <F> nib but re-tipped into a stub !

Cool !

The shoulders appear very short - especially on a size15 nib.

Is it like that or due to the angle of the photo?

Thanks for posting.

instagram

Wow !

Cool !

Thanks for posting.

I believe the shoulders are short due to the fact that it was a fine, but is now an approx. B-BB. Greg would have had to cut back the nib to get enough space to add the iridium on to it. Or else, it would've looked really goofy.

I hope that helps answer the question... :)

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

I had one of my P-823's retipped by Greg Minuskin. Just got it back Monday.

I love it!!!!

Dave

Nice one! I'm glad you finally got it! Looks great. :D And I'll bet it writes 10x better than it looks... :thumbup:

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

I just want to know if I can put the FA nib on it. Imagine flex combined with loads of ink. :thumbup:

Exactly what I had in mind !

But I don't have the 743 nor the 823 ! :crybaby:

instagram

Wow !

Cool !

Thanks for posting.

I believe the shoulders are short due to the fact that it was a fine, but is now an approx. B-BB. Greg would have had to cut back the nib to get enough space to add the iridium on to it. Or else, it would've looked really goofy.

I hope that helps answer the question... :)

Aah ...

I see ....

instagram

I bought mine from Richard Binder a couple of years ago. It has a 0.7mm cursive italic nib which is wonderful. Very smooth, fairly stiff, on the wet side, really nice to write with. Quite a lot of line variation. The filling system is foolproof, easy to clean, and holds a ton of ink. I love my 823!

Edited by reprieve

• 1 year later...

I bought a Custom 743 with a <SU> Sutab nib and swapped it onto my Custom 823.

Its been performing flawlessly !

No problems whatsoever starting.

No skipping at all.

Fantastic pen.

The writing experience has been very very pleasurable, especially when writing on TOMOE River paper .... :thumbup:

instagram

I recently purchased a Pilot 823 with a fine nib. I had to adjust the ink flow but the pen is an excellent value for the price. My only complaints about the pen are the nob at the top. I would like to see it made of a higher quality material. For me, what makes the 823 a great pen is the filling system and the nib.

The nib on its own has very good line variation. It is a firmer nib but has a nice writing characteristic to it. I was pleasantly surprised by the Pilot #15 nib. The nib on its own is quite good and you may not even want to stub it.

I never really cared about filling systems on pens, until using the Pilot 823. I have had piston fillers but the vacuum filler has to be my favorite. It is so easy to fill the pen. I even filled my Pilot 823 from a sample ink vial with only 2 ml of ink in the vial. The pen drew the ink all way out of the vial the first time.

I ordered my 823 custom with a B nib ground into a CI by John Mottishaw. The nib does not really have any significant spring or flex to me but is buttery smooth and has inkflow just the way I requested (about 6-7/10). The pen is currently filled with Akkerman Bezuidenwoudgroen ink which I have promised to post a scan of sometime soon. So...if you watch the ink reviews section over the next few days maybe you will see it there.

Dave

I also bought my Custom 823 from John Mottishaw and had him grind a B nib into a .7mm cursive italic. Never hard starting, never skips. Smooth and wet but not too wet, it's by far the best nib I own and the only pen that I never take out of rotation. It has been continuously inked with Pilot Blue ink since I bought it three years ago.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

• 2 months later...

I bought a Custom 743 with a <SU> Sutab nib and swapped it onto my Custom 823.

Its been performing flawlessly !

No problems whatsoever starting.

No skipping at all.

Fantastic pen.

The writing experience has been very very pleasurable, especially when writing on TOMOE River paper .... :thumbup:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/TMLee/FP/STUBS/PILOT%20Custom%20823%20Sutab%20nib/004.jpg

:thumbup:

instagram