• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KrazyIvan

• Gobblecup

• roved2101

• Black Rose

KrazyIvan, I agree with you about the P21S & real H616 as being comparable in overall quality - and said so in this comparative review: http://www.fountainp...showtopic=63828

Thanks for the identification of things to spot in a fake.

One query I have, is the fake a squeeze bar c/c pen? The filler looks almost the correct diameter for a c/c.

Regards,

Richard.

Richard,

I just recently found about the c/c version last week. I am afraid I am a bit noobish at knowing how it works. This one is an aerometric fill but is that system removable? If so, how would I go about removing it?

i've seen pics of a hero 616 which had a non-finned collector, it was clearly a fake. maybe you should check your fake to see if the collector is finned. if it is finned, that means there are more than one type of fakes out there.

Do you have any links for the pictures? I am afraid I am not familiar with the term "collector". :embarrassed_smile:

KrazyIvan,

If the pen has a cartridge convertor, it'll be possible to gently pull it out and replace it with a cartridge. That's a certain indicator of a fake H616.

The collector is the finned item inside the hood. It's finned to allow it to 'collect' the ink to even up the flow to the nib. In normal, modern, open nibbed pens the feed and collector are combined into one part, the comb feed. The inside of a real H616 was shown here: http://www.fountainp...howtopic=106590 . The collector is white, while the feed is the black rod sticking through it.

Regards,

Richard.

Edited by richardandtracy

I think I got a heap of fakes will have to check.

Regards,

Rodger

:headsmack: :headsmack:

Yer, I checked them and they are the fakes. All of them. It's war of the clones. I have 9 of them. lol

I noticed that too, the fake you posted has a cap jewel different from any of the examples shown by Nonsensical. The diffferences between all of the examples Nonsensical shows are mostly in size, not finish. The two you posted in the OP had very noticeable differences in finish.

I'd just like to point out that although it isn't very clear, the jewel on the Ebay Hero is not as well finished as the others, and that if you look carefully at the nib section, it appears to be made of different material, and the "vintage style", as well as the "NOS" feeds seem to be set further into the hood. The sizes of the converters (Ebay 10 pack Hero), and the "NOS" Heros are also different, however when capped, the pens are the same length.

KrazyIvan, I agree with you about the P21S & real H616 as being comparable in overall quality - and said so in this comparative review: http://www.fountainp...showtopic=63828

One query I have, is the fake a squeeze bar c/c pen? The filler looks almost the correct diameter for a c/c.

Regards,

Richard.

Richard,

I just recently found about the c/c version last week. I am afraid I am a bit noobish at knowing how it works. This one is an aerometric fill but is that system removable? If so, how would I go about removing it?

i've seen pics of a hero 616 which had a non-finned collector, it was clearly a fake. maybe you should check your fake to see if the collector is finned. if it is finned, that means there are more than one type of fakes out there.

Do you have any links for the pictures? I am afraid I am not familiar with the term "collector". :embarrassed_smile:

KrazyIvan,

If the pen has a cartridge convertor, it'll be possible to gently pull it out and replace it with a cartridge. That's a certain indicator of a fake H616.

The collector is the finned item inside the hood. It's finned to allow it to 'collect' the ink to even up the flow to the nib. In normal, modern, open nibbed pens the feed and collector are combined into one part, the comb feed. The inside of a real H616 was shown here: http://www.fountainp...howtopic=106590 . The collector is white, while the feed is the black rod sticking through it.

Regards,

Richard.

Thank you for the info. I will have to take a look at my fake and try the disassembly. My real H616 is filled and being put through the paces at work. It is a very different pen from what I thought was a real H616. Liking it very much.

Edited by KrazyIvan

Yes, the real Hero 616 pens really work well, especially considering how cheap they are.

I have a 616 Jumbo I use at work now and am really happy with it.

Edited by Black Rose

In Ottawa, Ontario? Check out The Ottawa Pen Posse

Regards,

Richard.

Richard,

KrazyIvan,

Regards,

Richard.

I tried taking it apart and I must be doing something wrong, it will not budge or it's not designed to do that.

I was able to take mine fully apart and it has the correct feed system according to Richard's post. I am very thankful for that advise... I can now thoroughly clean my 616!!! :bunny01:

Gobblecup ~

I was able to take mine fully apart and it has the correct feed system according to Richard's post. I am very thankful for that advise... I can now thoroughly clean my 616!!! :bunny01:

Just make sure you put some silicone grease on the threads when you put the collector cover back on.

The collector holds an amazing amount of ink and it will find it's way up the threads and seep out a bit.

In Ottawa, Ontario? Check out The Ottawa Pen Posse

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the real Hero 616 pens really work well, especially considering how cheap they are.

I have a 616 Jumbo I use at work now and am really happy with it.

I got ALL my Heros (616 and other models) from either speerbob on ebay or todd (isellpens).

Not a bad writer in the bunch, and I bought literally dozens, non-616 models included.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I just want to say thanks for this great thread, and for the photos. I used it to buy my 3 pack of 616 jumbos, arrived today, genuine article. Acoobradovic, where did you find that link? That's the eBay seller I bought them from! Also, serendipity that the page shows how to take the caps apart, one of them has a clip that bends off to the left.

Inked up the first, it writes just as well as my Jinhao 321 with the added bonus of being a larger pen overall, with a nicer cap, clip, and jewel.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

It would seem that Chinese-made goods are being looked upon as higher quality than in the recent past. The thread about which country produces the best fountain pens has 3 votes for China. They must be good enough if fakes are being made of them.

It is a bit ironic since they were originally indented to be copies of the original Parker 51 and now they too are being copied. I guess Chinese goods are moving up in the world.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Remember that 'made in Japan' was once the sign of inferior goods. No longer.

Maybe the same thing is happening with Chinese goods.

so was "made in USA". every country that ramps up its domestic production by exploiting cheap labor goes through the same learning curve.

It would seem that Chinese-made goods are being looked upon as higher quality than in the recent past. The thread about which country produces the best fountain pens has 3 votes for China. They must be good enough if fakes are being made of them.

It is a bit ironic since they were originally indented to be copies of the original Parker 51 and now they too are being copied. I guess Chinese goods are moving up in the world.

"Made in China, Made with the World."

Ever seen that ad?

I got a fake 616 as well. Turns out it was made by some company named Parker. Go figure.

so was "made in USA". every country that ramps up its domestic production by exploiting cheap labor goes through the same learning curve.

Just checked my fake 616. Says Made in U.S.A.

Go figure. Actually works pretty good.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I utterly disagree with your political assessment.

The USA? Inferior goods? What are you talking about?

It was a fact that Japan produced inferior goods. I am old enough to remember this in actual life, not just from hearsay, texts, or college professors who love to use the word 'exploited.'

Then---they got BETTER at it.

Better design, better production. All my cars are now Japanese because they are GOOD cars.

The same thing is happening in China.

Prosperity is not a bad thing. Better goods are not bad. To the contrary, they serve everyone.

Edited by Sailor Kenshin