Twsbi: Stop Holding Your Breath

Lloyd

Don't shoot the messanger but this was in the monthy email from TheWritingDesk (my emphasis)

TWSBI

Sadly, we are out of stock of most colours at the moment but we want to reassure you that more pens will be with us soon. New TWSBI models are in development, for example the Diamond 540 and Vac 700 but these will not be available for a couple of months or so until pre-production testing is complete.

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused0053.gifhttp://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused0053.gifhttp://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused0053.gifhttp://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused0053.gifhttp://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused0053.gifhttp://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused0053.gifhttp://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused0053.gifhttp://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused0053.gifhttp://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused0053.gifhttp://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused0053.gifhttp://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused0053.gifhttp://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused0053.gif

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ExcaliburZ

• Gobblecup

• speedy

• SamCapote

I just got the newletter, too. And the wait continues.

In some things in life it's better to take a Zen approach. If you think too much you won't achieve your goal, wheras if you don't think and let yourself go, it shall be achieved with ease. I find this helpful in writing, kendo and music.

Ok guys, it isn't the end, lets just all pet the kitty... :meow:

Option 2: :bawl: :bonk: :bawl:

Edited by Gobblecup

Gobblecup ~

They'll show up eventually (540 & Vac's) The 530 was a huge success! I bought one because I couldn't wait for the new ones :)

You know... I've got a 530, and it has been and continues to be a great pleasure. I've enjoyed it since day one, and I really have found it fascinating to watch the collaboration between various fountain pen communities (I would guess FPN had the largest input), and to see the design evolve, the feedback, etc.

But really: this isn't a particularly great way to run a business. I'm probably just a step or two away from being a fanboi, but I can't let that cause me to overlook the distinctly haphazard way that TWSBI seems to be working their model. If all they want to be is a niche item that comes and goes with the passage of time, fine. But it would seem a shame to put in all this work, ending up with a very strong and competitive product, only to stay marginal by what might charitably called a somewhat flakey business strategy.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

You know... I've got a 530, and it has been and continues to be a great pleasure. I've enjoyed it since day one, and I really have found it fascinating to watch the collaboration between various fountain pen communities (I would guess FPN had the largest input), and to see the design evolve, the feedback, etc.

But really: this isn't a particularly great way to run a business. I'm probably just a step or two away from being a fanboi, but I can't let that cause me to overlook the distinctly haphazard way that TWSBI seems to be working their model. If all they want to be is a niche item that comes and goes with the passage of time, fine. But it would seem a shame to put in all this work, ending up with a very strong and competitive product, only to stay marginal by what might charitably called a somewhat flakey business strategy.

Agreed.

Gobblecup ~

Does this mean that my Diamond 530 is a Limited Edition???? :eureka:

:roflmho: You're one of those "my glass is half-full!" kinda guys, aren't you?

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

But really: this isn't a particularly great way to run a business.

Actually, hasn't this approach been pretty successful previously? Whether it was Cabbage Patch Kids or Miatas, ensuring that supply was always a notch or two below demand seems to have been a relatively decent marketing strategy. At least in the short run.

Delay is better than error. I don't see FPN or the other contributing FP communities going away before there are more TWSBI pens available. Personally, I can't see anything more disastrous than having a large supply of product not on par with the initial offering.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

Actually, hasn't this approach been pretty successful previously? At least in the short run.

That is kind of my point. I'd like TWSBI to be around for the long haul.

Delay is better than error. I don't see FPN or the other contributing FP communities going away before there are more TWSBI pens available. Personally, I can't see anything more disastrous than having a large supply of product not on par with the initial offering.

Naturally. OTOH, it is distinctly odd to have, essentially, one main product line, which apparently runs out while some next-gen product, which has been highly hinted about, and isn't ready to come to market. Again, I think this company could have a larger footprint than just selling to a select fanbase, but they are going to have to get the business end a little more together.

Edited by JonSzanto

~ Benjamin Franklin

Does this mean that my Diamond 530 is a Limited Edition???? :eureka:

:roflmho: You're one of those "my glass is half-full!" kinda guys, aren't you?

Ummm, no. I am a "What the heck are you touching my glass for? :yikes: :gaah: Where's the disinfectant?" kind of guy. :P :vbg:

WendyNC wrote:

"Delay is better than error. I don't see FPN or the other contributing FP communities going away before there are more TWSBI pens available. Personally, I can't see anything more disastrous than having a large supply of product not on par with the initial offering."

I agree. :thumbup: The wait gives me more time to enjoy my 530.

I had asked Martin from TheWrtingDesk to post this in this thread. Even though he hasn't yet, I feel it is necessary to do so. It is his PM to me after I started this thread.

Hello Lloyd,

Thanks for passing on the info regarding new TWSBI models to FPN members.

I will be honest though, I did exaggerate a little. Thing is, we get inundated with requests for the new models so I wanted to calm things down a little. My understanding based on my last e-mail from Jim (speedy) is that the 540 is due quite soon, but the Vac 700 will take a little longer. Either way, initial demand will be very high so UK customers may have to wait a little until the direct sales channels are filled.

Best wishes,

Martin

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

my brother wanted to buy a vac before starting university, but i guess he'll have to wait longer (and me too).

-Eclipse Flat Top-|-Parker "51" Aero-|-Sheaffer's Snorkel Sentinel-|-Esterbrook SJ-|-Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe TD-|-Sheaffer 330-|-Reform 1745-|-PenUsa Genesis-|-Hero 616-|-Noodler's Flex-|-Schneider Voice-|-TWSBI Vac 700-

The roll out is not really the issue, it is the almost complete lack of communication we have had for months. We got too accustomed to Speedy being in every thread about Twsbi products and giving us all the information we asked.

Edited by ExcaliburZ

Have fist, will travel

My deviantArt page

Ok guys, it isn't the end, lets just all pet the kitty... :meow:

Option 2: :bawl: :bonk: :bawl:

hehe. :meow: I'm ok with a combination of petting the kitties and playing with my 530. The orange ink look so pretty sloshing around. Someday I hope to be able to get a 540 in some nice color like purple or orange or cyan.

I don't really get the fuss about the vacuum fill version. It looks like lots of extra complexity and expense for very little gain.

I've been given the impression that there are LOTS of clear 530s sitting around waiting to be shipped out when demand calls for them. The colors may be a bit scarcer, though. Not too sure.

Edited by watch_art

I agree with others about the business side of things. I held off on getting a 530 because the 540 was stated on their facebook page to be coming out the first week of July. Unless this isn't officially connected with TWSBI there maybe needs to be better communication.

I would think that you want one model to run out just as the other model is ready to be launched. Maybe that is something to work on in the future.

People:

Trouble, oh we got trouble,

Right here in FPN City!

With a capital "T"

That rhymes with "Twee"

And that stands for TWSBI