Twsbi Tight Cap Thread Fix

jkrewalk

Just so everyone knows, fixing the cap is so easy it is ridiculous so you don't have to live with a tight cap.

Just purchase some polishing compound (like the kind used for cars). Put a tiny bit on the threads with a little water and screw and unscrew about 50 times in succession. This will effectively grind the threads to a perfect fit that screws on perfectly with no effort yet there will be no "play "in the threads - in short - they will be a perfect fit!

If you want something more useful for all your pens, go to Amazon and purchase the Novus plastic polishing kit for a mere 10.00. It will be the best thing you ever bought for your pens. It contains 3 bottles of plastic polishers - one is to remove deep scratches, the other is for light scratches and the third is a cleaner/polish that makes any of your pens look like spectacular new! I use it to polish all my pens to a high luster that resists finger prints too. Use the other two scratch removers to bring new life to your vintage pens and restore them to wonderful, "like new" perfection.

Anyway, use the one for deep scratches on the TWSBI thread as described above and you will have a perfect cap fit in about 5 minutes!!!

I did this on my TWSBI and it is now the best fitting cap of any pen I own.

John

Krewalk.com

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jkrewalk

• KrazyIvan

• Ouroboros

• Ethereal Winter Wind

I've heard that the TWSBI caps can be problematic. Thanks for the tip on the other two. I've get an old Sheaffer that could use that.

Wish-list: Parker 51 India Black Vacumatic. Green Parker Vacumatic Maxima. Visconti Homo Sapien. Aurora Optima and Vintage 88. Lamy 27. Sheaffer Pen For Men V. Moss-Agate Waterman Patrician, Pelikan Souverän M450. I just need to win the lottery now.

I've heard that the TWSBI caps can be problematic. Thanks for the tip on the other two. I've get an old Sheaffer that could use that.

All my old Sheaffers got his treatment and now they look like they stepped out of the factory with a great shine! When I go to pen shows I look for bargains that I know I can restore with this product.

Gave this a try and it works BUT for goodness sake empty the pen first!!!

I didn't.

My pen was full of Nooder's V-Mail North African Violet.

I twisted the piston while holding the pen. My fingers are VERY purple right now. Very purple.

I also discovered NAV will stain a metal sink. Really stain it. Oddly enough, the polishing compound will take it out. But still. Oh my.

I didn't.

I twisted the piston while holding the pen. My fingers are VERY purple right now. Very purple.

I also discovered NAV will stain a metal sink. Really stain it. Oddly enough, the polishing compound will take it out. But still. Oh my.

Any polishing compound is just an abrasive, just a very fine one. So it would rub off the top, stained layer of your sink.

Any polishing compound is just an abrasive, just a very fine one. So it would rub off the top, stained layer of your sink.

Yes, let's just say it's not the first time I've had to remove ink stains from the kitchen sink ;)

I didn't.

Bleach will take NAV stains out of a sink too. Yeah, that is from personal experience. :embarrassed_smile:

The cap on my TWSBI is loosening up naturally, after 2 weeks or so it feels closer to normal, so I'm just going to wait and see how it goes.

Just so everyone knows, fixing the cap is so easy it is ridiculous so you don't have to live with a tight cap.

Just purchase some polishing compound (like the kind used for cars). Put a tiny bit on the threads with a little water and screw and unscrew about 50 times in succession. This will effectively grind the threads to a perfect fit that screws on perfectly with no effort yet there will be no "play "in the threads - in short - they will be a perfect fit!

If you want something more useful for all your pens, go to Amazon and purchase the Novus plastic polishing kit for a mere 10.00. It will be the best thing you ever bought for your pens. It contains 3 bottles of plastic polishers - one is to remove deep scratches, the other is for light scratches and the third is a cleaner/polish that makes any of your pens look like spectacular new! I use it to polish all my pens to a high luster that resists finger prints too. Use the other two scratch removers to bring new life to your vintage pens and restore them to wonderful, "like new" perfection.

Anyway, use the one for deep scratches on the TWSBI thread as described above and you will have a perfect cap fit in about 5 minutes!!!

I did this on my TWSBI and it is now the best fitting cap of any pen I own.

John

Krewalk.com

The Novus polish is great stuff ... I don't have problems with my TWSBIs but used it on the face shield of my motorcycle helmet all the time. Need to try it out on my pens! Thank you!

Thanks for the helpful and clearly-written tips for the cap. I've had mine for about 3 months, and while it is snug, I never considered it a big problem (some people seem to think it is the end of the world...). Anyway, a couple weeks ago I bought a little polishing kit for plastic headlights from Turtle Wax - the lenses on my 6-yr-old Prius had gotten pretty cloudy. That kit worked like magic, and I thought if it was safe enough to bring that plastic back to complete transparency, it would be fine for this.

Sure enough: a tiny dab of the polish, screw the threads in and out for a number of times, wipe clean, apply a little of the lubricant and to top it off, a tiny dab of silicone grease. It is so smooth now, but still retains just a bit of grab - I like knowing it isn't going to come off by itself. And, handling the pen while working on it, reminded me of just how great these TWSBI pens are. Pretty amazing for the price point, and even beyond...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

This tip came too late for me. I tried to get that Speedy to help with a solution, but he basically

told me it was the way it was. I then accidentally ruined the threads trying to get

it to work. Too bad for me.. Last TWSBI I'll ever buy.

This tip came too late for me. I tried to get that Speedy to help with a solution, but he basically

told me it was the way it was. I then accidentally ruined the threads trying to get

it to work. Too bad for me.. Last TWSBI I'll ever buy.

Check one of those TWSBI threads again, I saw he asked you to contact him recently (within the last couple of weeks) about the issue.

John's solution was fantastic. My formerly very tight TWSBI cap now screws on and unscrews like butter. Such a simple fix, now almost a perfect pen (only because I don't think I've ever seen an example of a perfect pen yet).

French

• 10 years later...