Inks With A "sheen"

shaylenwilliams

CS, a lot depends on the paper used. Absorbent papers tend not to show any sheen. In my experience, sheen is more likely to be visible at an angle in artificial light. Certain inks are especially noted for their sheen: Blackstone Sydney Harbor Blue is one, though there are a number of others. Tomoe River is a paper that many comment as showing sheen in an ink.

This this this this this!

Sheen shows best on slicker paper, at an angle, under artificial light.

I get letters from pen pals, complaining that they got a touted sheen monster ink and can't see any. I read their letters and see tons, under two kinds of artificial light.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shaylenwilliams

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• attika89

The Volcano is gorgeous!!!

In person, up close, especially! I'll send you the writing samples so you can see it for yourself... ;)

I have many pens inked with well known ink makers ----- at least fifteen different inks, ------ and have been writing with fountain pens since Adam and Eve were teenagers, AND I have never, never seen anything I would call a "sheen." I do not have the ability to see the photo that are in the square boxes. Electronic immigrant, that I am.

I wish there could be another way I could see "sheen." ------- At times I think people just THINK they are seeing something.

Excuse my ignorance. I am tired today.

C. S.

Eve used to baby sit for me when she was in her teens. I too never saw any sheen from c.1960 until last year. You have to look for it and you probably will not find it on inks from the pen companies, or paper from Staples. The photos may communicate something to those who have seen it, but I don't think they give much idea of what it looks like to someone who has not seen it. (Eve gave me my first camera.)

• 2 weeks later...

CS:

Take a pen which is a "gusher" or fire hose

Take a non absorbant paper (like Tomoe River)

and then with the right ink, at the wet pools, there will appear sheen

Is any of the 15 inks you used in this list?

post-130101-0-99659100-1521356633_thumb.jpg

Krishna Jungle Volcano

post-130101-0-30168600-1521356675_thumb.jpg

Krishna Sakthy

Both of the inks sheen pretty much on all papers I have/use. The only other inks to sheen as much are the ones from organic studio. But I have found the OS inks to dry up even when I have paused for a few seconds while writing. Haven't had that problem with the Krishna inks.

post-130101-0-25347300-1521368661_thumb.jpg

Krishna inks Vaikhari. Three lines at different angles of light to show the colour and the sheen. Just inked this one up, so yet to see how it behaves.

Edited by KshitijShetty

Recent acquisitions that include SUPER spectacular sheeners.

KRISHNA inks: Orange Halloween , Jungle Volcano, Sakthy, and Moonview:

fpn_1521672137__2018-03-21_182436.jpg

• 3 months later...

Lotta new info since I posted here (5 yrs ago).

Probably the "sheen monster" I'd like to try most is an Organics Studio ink called Henry David Thoreau. Here's a Youtube video showing the sheen.

OTOH, why an ink maker would call itself Organics Studio and put its inks in a plastic bottle is beyond me.

nulla dies sine linea

Take care with Walden Pond. It was an amazing discovery for me, but as you use it, quite naturally a bit of ink dries at the top of the bottle and on the threads of the cap. This dried ink crystallizes into red sheeny particles, and when you open and close the bottle, microscopic bits —like a super fine powder— go everywhere.

I couldn't for the life of me figure out why the bottoms of my white socks were brilliant turquoise blue after sitting at my desk. ;) A moist paper towel wiped on what looked like a clean floor revealed the culprit.

I have not noticed the powdery effect with other inks. And since I stopped using Walden Pond, I have not had any problem with inky socks.

Proving, once and for all, that FPN is THE place to go for anyone with inky sock syndrome;-)

Take care with Walden Pond. It was an amazing discovery for me, but as you use it, quite naturally a bit of ink dries at the top of the bottle and on the threads of the cap. This dried ink crystallizes into red sheeny particles, and when you open and close the bottle, microscopic bits —like a super fine powder— go everywhere.

I couldn't for the life of me figure out why the bottoms of my white socks were brilliant turquoise blue after sitting at my desk. ;) A moist paper towel wiped on what looked like a clean floor revealed the culprit.

I have not noticed the powdery effect with other inks. And since I stopped using Walden Pond, I have not had any problem with inky socks.

I've experienced something similar, with yellow inks.

I forgot about this thread. Diamine Macassar has a very slight silver sheen.

fpn_1530607565__diamine_macassar_card_01

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Thnx for the heads-up on Organic Studios ink, HJB. I've not bought any, yet, and now I don't plan on it.

I have similar problem with Old World Ink, an iron gall ink. No particles on my socks, but the ink dries on the jar threads and I must clean the jar, every dang time. I hadda use an old Oxo jar opener to open this jar of ink after using it. The iron gall particles sink to the bottom in a sludge, also, and require constant mixing. .

nulla dies sine linea

It is remarkable what paper can do. I have a few pens currently inked with inks that sheen to some degree or another. Today I scribbled a few notes on a piece of notebook paper--low quality, inexpensive. I'm not sure what the brand is/was, as the sheet was something I'd removed from a nearly-fully-used-and-pitched-in-the-recycling notebook, having saved the few remaining pages for scrap. (Likely, but not absolutely, Staples or Mead.)

I finally really saw the "wow" factor of Robert Oster Fire & Ice. In a Pilot VP fine nib, even, the sheen is amazing. On other papers and with the same pen, I could tell that there was a bit of red sheen, but overall the ink looked just like a pretty turquoise shade. What I see on this paper is amazing. It is also bringing out the sheen in Sailor Souten and Diamine Imperial Purple, though they aren't as extreme as Fire & Ice. Now I'm really looking forward to receiving the Skull & Roses and November Rain I ordered.

Edited by goodpens