Inks With A "sheen"

shaylenwilliams

WOW

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shaylenwilliams

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• attika89

I can never seem to get Yama Budo to sheen that great for me....even in an Ahab on Tomoe River....how do you get that gorgeous sheen???

Three methods seem to improve the sheen:

1. Fill pen. Leave pen for a month or two. Write with it. Admire sheen.

2. Pour some Yama-Budo into a dish. Leave it for a couple of days (but no longer, in case it gets too viscous). Write with it.

3. Use highly ink resistant paper, so that the ink basically sits on the surface until it dries.

http://i.imgur.com/utQ9Ep9.jpg

Thank you guys for the advice!!! :)

It seems the key to the most sheen is letting an ink somewhat evaporate in the pen...which (for better or worse) Ahabs do seem to evaporate ink rather quickly where I am. I have been trying stub nibs with yama budo, but usually just when I first fill it and not seeing any sheen tend to get disappointed rather quickly. I will fill it up and try to let it sit for awhile and see what happens! ;)

I have been using Tomoe River paper which usually shows lots of sheen for me.

I do not have any vellum yet. Any recommendations on what kind of vellum to try and where to buy it?

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1

My best guess is that you might want to try a broader nib —EF and F nibs can't deliver enough ink to allow sheen, so give a medium nib on Tomoe River paper a try!

japanese extra fine nib with yama-budo (couple of weeks in the pen) - sheens like crazy on tomoe river paper.

LOVE THE MONSTERS!!!!!!!! :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

THANKS! They are fun, aren't they?

I think the feed has to deliver a sufficient amount of ink to the nib as well. A "wet writer" will cause more ink to flow out and then increase the chances of sheen, in my experience at least.

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1

Ok ok.. not as impressive as the Monster Sheens.... But, still delicious to look at .... :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

KWZI Honey Sheen...

fpn_1430805260__honeysheen.jpg

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Love the sheen monsters!

Cyber6, thats some really nice silver sheen. KWZI continues to impress!

I'm almost done with my aged fill of Yama-budo. Going to miss the heavy sheen.

Edited by A144

So many inks, so little time...

Ok ok.. not as impressive as the Monster Sheens.... But, still delicious to look at .... :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

KWZI Honey Sheen...

fpn_1430805260__honeysheen.jpg

Beauty! Looks you could spread it on toast! YUM!

I am in love with the sheen monsters too! I would totally rock a tshirt with them on it :)

First off, I apologize for the terrible photo.

Now for the good news:

Platinum Mix-Free Silky Purple sheens! A lovely gold sheen!

Written with a Goulet 1.5 stub in an Ahab on white Tomoe River.

2373024a13ae8f691dec2904e13d0de8.jpg

Tessy Moon

Nice addition.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Nice addition.

B) I love my bright purple-pink-magenta-mauve-you just can't nail it down to one color inks!

Tessy Moon

Thanks for pointing out how fast Ahabs evaporate ink. They really do! Sheens are great!

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

I really do not know why I didn't try this ink earlier, but man, it's a beauty! Sailor Jentle SOUTEN (Blue Sky). And on good paper, it sheens up a storm (pun intended)! No evaporating, just fill the pen, and off you go!

Scanned image:

fpn_1431723324__souten-hjb.jpg

iPhone photo under florescent light:

fpn_1431723345__souten-sheen-hjb.jpg

I do love my Souten! Sheens in fine nibs - 1.5 stubs! <3

Tessy Moon

• 1 month later...

I got Yama Budo to SHEEN!!! I love it!! :wub:

1a206833202efbf0736931f45f7c3df4.jpg

Tessy Moon