Inks With A "sheen"

shaylenwilliams

Here's Diamine Smoke on the Water (German exclusive) and Organics Studio Henry David Thoreau.

They're similar, but not exactly the same. Smoke on the Water has a teal green base color, while the Henry David Thoreau is more green. Both have a prominent sheen, but Henry David Thoreau's is stronger.

post-149236-0-66185900-1568273875_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shaylenwilliams

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• attika89

Diamine German exclusive, Purple Rain. Purple black with a very prominent red sheen. It writes black and shines red, which doesn't really make it a good purple ink..

post-149236-0-02703500-1568631388_thumb.jpeg

• 2 months later...

It might interest some to see, how a diluted sheening ink looks.

Here's Organic Studio, Ralph Waldo Emerson, in diluted and none diluted forms....

post-23216-0-88470600-1574884051_thumb.jpeg

Diamine German exclusive, Purple Rain. Purple black with a very prominent red sheen. It writes black and shines red, which doesn't really make it a good purple ink..

attachicon.gif inCollage_20190916_134718694-01.jpeg

Really nice picture! But, it's driving me mad because I was looking for a black ink with red sheen! And last week, I got Skull and Roses and added Communication Breakdown, since it's $4 shipping for one but $5 for two of the German exclusives. Ugh! I regret not getting Purple Rain and just going with Rouge Hematite for red ink with gold sheen.

But all the pictures I've seen of Purple Rain show it looking like the bottom right quadrant of your picture, not the "grumpy wizards" writing. :huh:

New to fountain pens, older to dip pens.

• 4 weeks later...

Black ink with red sheen would be Iroshizuku Take-Sumi. If you let it sit in a pen a bit and use paper like Tomoe River with a broader and wet nib, you'll see the sheen.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Really nice picture! But, it's driving me mad because I was looking for a black ink with red sheen! And last week, I got Skull and Roses and added Communication Breakdown, since it's $4 shipping for one but $5 for two of the German exclusives. Ugh! I regret not getting Purple Rain and just going with Rouge Hematite for red ink with gold sheen.

But all the pictures I've seen of Purple Rain show it looking like the bottom right quadrant of your picture, not the "grumpy wizards" writing. :huh:

I concur. Purple rain is black purple with gold sheen....

Scanned imaged: Almost black

post-23216-0-05463300-1577309103_thumb.jpeg

Photo under incandescent light[

attachment=481674:20191225_162609.jpg]

post-23216-0-69515200-1577309277_thumb.jpg

post-23216-0-31397700-1577309264_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have many pens inked with well known ink makers ----- at least fifteen different inks, ------ and have been writing with fountain pens since Adam and Eve were teenagers, AND I have never, never seen anything I would call a "sheen." I do not have the ability to see the photo that are in the square boxes. Electronic immigrant, that I am.

I wish there could be another way I could see "sheen." ------- At times I think people just THINK they are seeing something.

Excuse my ignorance. I am tired today.

C. S.

Charles - if you want to see sheen (and really ugly colors), get some Diamine Manggis. (Picture courtesy of Ememel in this thread.)

post-149236-0-81483300-1568631255.jpeg

It is a very nice burgundy color what has crazy neon green sheen, so much so that it looks baby poop brown.

Turned me off sheening ink, except the very subtle.

Have fun! See my PM.

Sorry, I'd forgotten about this topic. Yes, my inks had gotten mixed up and the Purple Rain is indeed with a golden sheen :)

attachicon.gif IMG_20191109_125950-01-01.jpeg

Haha, everything makes sense now! Do you recall what the mislabeled sample actually is? It's beautiful

New to fountain pens, older to dip pens.

• 1 month later...

Charles - if you want to see sheen (and really ugly colors), get some Diamine Manggis. (Picture courtesy of Ememel in this thread.)

post-149236-0-81483300-1568631255.jpeg

It is a very nice burgundy color what has crazy neon green sheen, so much so that it looks baby poop brown.

Turned me off sheening ink, except the very subtle.

Have fun! See my PM.

Yes! Manggis is a total fluke! You describe it very fittingly as a baby poop color, my description on another forum was ugly muddy.

But! I do not think Manggis is a good yardstick for sheening inks. And I think this is because in this ink the sheen(ing particles) and the base color blends, making it appear muddy. Whileas in the other inks I've pictured in this thread, depending on the viewing angle and lighting the ink either displays the sheen or the base color. This sharpness, the "2-inks-in-1" quality, is what I like.

Haha, everything makes sense now! Do you recall what the mislabeled sample actually is? It's beautiful

Unfortunately not! My guess would be a mixture, including at least Organics Studios Emerson Twilight Blue, which have the blue black base color and the strong red sheen.

• 4 weeks later...

Diamine Manggis. A monstersheener and nice writer, but not as pretty as I expected.

attachicon.gif inCollage_20190916_134126359-01.jpeg

I have some Manggis and think it is nasty. I inadvertently wrote with diluted Manggis and it watering it down turns it a nice bright burgundy color. By adjusting the amount of water added you can get a good burgundy with just a bit of sheen which isn't bad. No sheen, for this ink, is nice.

• 3 months later...

Here's Diamine Smoke on the Water (German exclusive) and Organics Studio Henry David Thoreau.

They're similar, but not exactly the same. Smoke on the Water has a teal green base color, while the Henry David Thoreau is more green. Both have a prominent sheen, but Henry David Thoreau's is stronger.

I'm a big fan of Organics Henry David Thoreau but wow, I can't make mine look like that! Fine work.