Inks With A "sheen"

shaylenwilliams

I mean more smudge (later, well after writing) than smear. The dry written word is there on the paper, and then you put your hand on the paper for some reason and rub (say you're writing something at the top of the page, or editing something later), and there's a sort of haze of powdery looking color that spreads away from the written word (and gets on your hand, or clothes if in a pocket).

Does anyone know what I mean? PR Tanzanite does it all the time...

I knew what you meant. Some (lots) of inks do that for me, just not the ones I named. I really don't have that problem with Sailor inks. Could be a combo of the paper I use and the Florida climate. Don't know.

"The pen is the tongue of the mind." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra Don Quixote

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shaylenwilliams

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• attika89

I knew what you meant. Some (lots) of inks do that for me, just not the ones I named. I really don't have that problem with Sailor inks. Could be a combo of the paper I use and the Florida climate. Don't know.

Sorry - I must have misread your original post. :embarrassed_smile:

Sounds like sheen is separate from smudge. It would make sense that it would be humidity related, of course... :hmm1:

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

sheen

[sheen] –noun

1. luster; brightness; radiance.

Edited by JonSzanto

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Visconti Blue has a lovely sheen to it as well. I, too like sheen. Another fav for me is DC Electric Blue, in a VP cursive italic nib.

Hey, Shaylen, just to check...The photos of the Herbin followed by the Iroshizuki ink makes them look almost identical, but when I look at the swabs at Goulet, it is pretty definite that the Herbin is a red ink, and the Iro is a pink/fuchsia ink. In real life, to your eyes, are the samples you scanned this similar looking?

No, not at all. Tsutsuji is a bright pink, almost fuchsia. 1670 is a very saturated pretty true red.

May I ask what paper you used for the herbin 1670 picture?

That was Rhodia dotpad. Sorry for not mentioning that.

post-65351-0-35234900-1309117568.jpg

Had to be done. You know it.

LOVE IT! These inks are obviously only for use by b*tchin rockstars from Mars.

I get this with Private Reserve Blue Suede as well.

Interesting! I have this ink, I'll have to try it out.

As for smudging/smearing.... I've not noticed it, but I'm not really someone who focuses on dry time or the propensity to smudge or smear...unless it is ridiculous. For what it's worth, I just ran my finger quite vigorously over the Tsutsuji samples, and it didn't smear.

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

As for smudging/smearing.... I've not noticed it, but I'm not really someone who focuses on dry time or the propensity to smudge or smear...unless it is ridiculous. For what it's worth, I just ran my finger quite vigorously over the Tsutsuji samples, and it didn't smear.

Thanks - that helps! It's just that I was traumatized by using PR Orange Crush in a very, very wet Eversharp Skyline, getting a sheen, and finding the notes I had taken all smudgy when going back to them the next day.

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

To be honest, the pen doesn't have to be all that wet when using the Staples Bagasse. Those samples I did above... the dots were where I'd intentionally pooled the ink, but the writing is pretty much normal- perhaps done on the slow side for the sake of being legible and tidy.

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

Shaylen,

I always love your posts, you are always kind and happy to show us what you have! :notworthy1: :clap1:

This thread is very interesting, I really like inks with a sheen as well, they make writing with a FP just that much more deep and special.

Two more with quite noticeable Sheens are Emilio and Martin... :blush: :ltcapd: Sorry I had to keep that joke going... but I was going to say something serious. Pilot Blue and Sailor Grenade... I have bottles of both... if you don't, I would be happy to send you samples... PM me if you want to do a little trading. :thumbup:

Gobblecup ~

Shaylen,

Sailor nano carbon black (pigment) has a very obvious and "crystalline" sheen. I imagine that the Platinum nano ink might be similar because it is a carbon pigment type also, but I have never tried it.

Nicely done ink comparison! :thumbup:

Shaylen,I always love your posts, you are always kind and happy to show us what you have! :notworthy1: :clap1:This thread is very interesting, I really like inks with a sheen as well, they make writing with a FP just that much more deep and special.Two more with quite noticeable Sheens are Emilio and Martin... :blush: :ltcapd: Sorry I had to keep that joke going... but I was going to say something serious. Pilot Blue and Sailor Grenade... I have bottles of both... if you don't, I would be happy to send you samples... PM me if you want to do a little trading. :thumbup:

Aww shucks, :embarrassed_smile: thanks for the kind words! I will send a PM!

Shaylen,Sailor nano carbon black (pigment) has a very obvious and "crystalline" sheen. I imagine that the Platinum nano ink might be similar because it is a carbon pigment type also, but I have never tried it.Nicely done ink comparison! :thumbup:

If I understand correctly, the pigment inks cannot (or should not) be used in FP's...??? I'm not sure if this is true, or a "rumor".

The Poor Connoisseurs

If I understand correctly, the pigment inks cannot (or should not) be used in FP's...??? I'm not sure if this is true, or a "rumor".

These inks are made for fountain pens. They are "nano" pigments, so they don't clog fine feed passages. They are, however, quite waterproof when dry and require more maintenance than a dye based non-waterproof ink.

These inks are made for fountain pens. They are "nano" pigments, so they don't clog fine feed passages. They are, however, quite waterproof when dry and require more maintenance than a dye based non-waterproof ink.

Good to know, thanks for the clarification!!!

The Poor Connoisseurs

I have two inks that really show off their sheen on Rhodia paper and they are Diamine Majestic Blue and Sailor Sky High.

My most recent photos:

Sailor Jentle Grenade (my thanks to Gobblecup for the sample trade!!!)-

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/PICT0045.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/PICT0047.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/PICT0049.jpg

Diamine Hope Pink (very subtle, and not noticed prior to yesterday!)-

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/PICT0058.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/PICT0056.jpg

The Poor Connoisseurs

Like Charlie "Sheen" ?? Maybe they are made from tigers blood.

These inks are "winning"!! LOL

Sorry could not resist.

www.stevelightart.com

Iroshizuku Kon-peki on Staples Bagasse (Lamy Nexx w/ 1.1 nib)

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/PICT0061.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/PICT0063.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/PICT0065.jpg

The Poor Connoisseurs

Like Charlie "Sheen" ?? Maybe they are made from tigers blood.

These inks are "winning"!! LOL

Sorry could not resist.

Post #16. Rock star.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Shaylen, it would seem Japanese inks make up the majority of these inks with sheen properties. :hmm1: By the way, I love Japanese inks! :)

Gobblecup ~

Shaylen, it would seem Japanese inks make up the majority of these inks with sheen properties. :hmm1: By the way, I love Japanese inks! :)

Perhaps I love them a bit too much myself, they are the only ones being inked up lately! :headsmack:

I suppose I should try to represent other brands more equally, but the only other ink that I know I have on hand that possesses a sheen is PR Electric DC Blue.

The Poor Connoisseurs