Diamine Racing Green

Michael R.

On this year's Nürnberg Pen Show (see full report here:2011 Nürnberg Pen Show) Rolf Thiel from missing-pen told me about a very interesting new project. His customer's still request a dark green ink with olive tones just like the discontinued Montblanc Racing Green. A short run of a very similar color made by Noodler's (see: Nooder's Das Verschollene Grün I-III) was very succesful and sold quickly but unfortunately Nathan currently does not supply this ink anymore.

Like mentioned in this thread (Diamine on Racing Green) the UK manufacturer Diamine is willing to help.

Rolf did a lot of communication with Diamine and as a result he received five different samples of a dark olive-green ink. So there is a realistic chance that we will see a godd quality substitute for Montblanc Racing Green soon again.

I had the chance to try see and try the pre-production samples Rolf received.

This is a first-impression scan of the inks recently made by Diamine:

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn140/PENSnINKS/Inks/DiamineRacingGreen.jpg

All of the shown colors look similar, but in my opinion sample #4 looks the closest to the color of Montblanc Racing Green while others look a just a little bit less intense, darker or are missing the olive green tones.

I hope to try the Diamine colors in a pen but I expect the same writing qualities of most other Diamine inks.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers

Michael

Edited by Michael R.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michael R.

• SamCapote

• The Good Captain

• easirois

This is excellent news, Michael, and thank you for reporting it. I'm a big fan of Diamine so I'm happy it's from them. I agree, based on what I see, that #4 is the closest. I think there will be a lot of happy people. :cloud9:

Oh no! My investment in MB Racing Green in the hope of making a killing on the second-hand market is doomed :o

Seriously, this is good news as I do like Diamine inks in general (I have enough!) though this sort of colour is not my first choice which is why I still have 3/4 of a bottle of MB RG left.

Chris

I hope they can obtain the same ink characteristics of MB RG that the original had: water-resistance, very easy to flush, etc..

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I hope they can obtain the same ink characteristics of MB RG that the original had: water-resistance, very easy to flush, etc..

Ditto. If they can somehow manage the bleedthrough (via iron gall?) on some common paper, that would be great!

Eric

Oh no! My investment in MB Racing Green in the hope of making a killing on the second-hand market is doomed :o

Seriously, this is good news as I do like Diamine inks in general (I have enough!) though this sort of colour is not my first choice which is why I still have 3/4 of a bottle of MB RG left.

Chris

I know exactly what you mean :sick:

I agree with you on #4. I think that MB Racing Green still has a bit more yellow in it though. I would try #4. Olive-y and gold greens are my preferred ink - though I am not fond of bright emerald-y greens. Thanks for your great posts. Very informative and very helpful... and tempting as well. Cha ching on some Sailor ink!

Does anyone know why MB made the decision to discontinue this favorite Racing Green? Foolish ... oh! I must have forgotten about the luxury brand 'bottom line'!

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 --><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.musingcrowdesigns.com'>Musing Crow Designs

Hi,

MBRG is fairly complex, and there is far more to replicating any ink than getting a good CMY+K colour read-out.

Here is a link to an online sample I posted a while ago. Perhaps it is of some use - or not. MBRG_Sample_Link

An interesting initiative, which I hope comes to fruition.

Bye,

S1

EDIT- to add image below

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Montblanc_Racing_Green_Replication/FPN189.jpg

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Thanks for the help but afaik my monitor is okay and here, only Diamine's 1, 4 and 6 have the faintest resemblance of a any green. Even Noodler's 1 and 3 okay. The others are IMO almost black.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I sent a vial of MBRG to "Phil" at least two years ago with no result. Good thing I didn't hold my breath in anticipation. :(

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

Thanks for the help but afaik my monitor is okay and here, only Diamine's 1, 4 and 6 have the faintest resemblance of a any green. Even Noodler's 1 and 3 okay. The others are IMO almost black.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for your comment. I did all samples with the same dip-nib-pen and they are pretty dark in real life as well.

This is a slightly lighter version of the scan which may look more accurate on your monitor:

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn140/PENSnINKS/Inks/DiamineRacingGreenhell.jpg

Cheers

Michael

What great news! I really like this color, and was unable to get any MBRG itself. #4 still looks like the best candidate. In the meantime I'm using Noodler's Army Green.

"Luxe, calme et volupte"

MBRG also has beautiful shading characteristics. I hope the Diamine ink will match that. No. 4 does look the closest to RG. Thanks for reporting. :)

#4 seems to be the closest.

I hope that the other characteristics and the good performance of the ink - mainly very low maintenance and nice shading - can be achieved as well with the new ink.

I am using three dark green Diamine inks. So far they are a substitute but not a replacement of MB RG.

Great news that Diamine will try and replicate MBRG. I am using Sailor Tokiwa Matsu (Winter Green) in place of MBRG and it comes pretty close, IMHO. :thumbup:

This is a slightly lighter version of the scan which may look more accurate on your monitor....

Wow! Thanks!! Now I get it!!! Well, I'd say that you have now shown me what a rake is (do they ever say that in English?)

Mike ;)

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

+1. I've found a lot of close-color substitutes, but none that also replicate Racing Green's beautiful shading, low maintenance, and water-resistence.

How water-resistant was MB RG? None of the Diamine colours have any significant water resistance I believe.

Thank goodness for this. I have been trying to find a viable substitute for MBRG for a while. My only concern would be the flow issues. My experience with Diamine is iffy. I had two bottle of blue black that got al crusty in my pens and Evergreen chokes up every pen I've put it in. Fingers crossed for this color.

"A man's maturity consists in having found again the seriousness one had as a child, at play."

Friedrich Nietzsche

kelsonbarber.wordpress.com