• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rokurinpapa

• xuan87

• bostonfin

• MrsGouletPens

Cool pen. Does the converter comes with the pen or you will have to buy separately? :)

The pen comes with a cartridge but without a converter, so I have to buy the converter.

rokurinpapa

Are they discontinuing the regular 3776?

i don't think they are. Platinum announced that the Century will be the newest model in the 3776 series, so i'm interpreting that as an addition rather than a replacement.

Please check out my blogshop for fountain pens and inks at http://inkoholicanonymous.blogspot.com/ Reviews of my pens can be found there too!

BTW, Platinum has already made an announcement regarding the new regular Century 3776 pen. IMO, it looks too much like the old 3776, i was hoping for a more radical design...

Please check out my blogshop for fountain pens and inks at http://inkoholicanonymous.blogspot.com/ Reviews of my pens can be found there too!

Maybe the new Century 3776 are indeed a replacement since they looks pretty similar to the older 3776.

Maybe the new Century 3776 are indeed a replacement since they looks pretty similar to the older 3776.

i guess it makes sense to replace the old 3776 since the only difference is the seal-cap design. i already have the old 3776 with UEF nib so i won't be going for the Century but here's to hoping that they implement the same design to the President series. i have always wanted a President and i'm willing to wait for the new one ( if they ever decide to come out with a new model).

From the stated dimensions, the Motosu sounds very similar to Pilot's Custom 74 Demonstrator. Can anyone do a comparison?

Cool pen. Does the converter comes with the pen or you will have to buy separately? :)

The pen comes with a cartridge but without a converter, so I have to buy the converter.

rokurinpapa

From the stated dimensions, the Motosu sounds very similar to Pilot's Custom 74 Demonstrator. Can anyone do a comparison?

This pen DOES come with a converter, actually! :thumbup:

Hmm... 3776 Motosu versus Pilot Custom 74... sounds like an interesting comparison! Biggest differences are the filling mechanism, and the weight (the Custom 74 is 36g, the 3776 is 19g). The 3776 is just a touch longer, especially when posted. I haven't tried writing with the 3776 yet, but I do know that the nib on the Custom 74 has a touch of spring to it. Otherwise very similar.

US retailers have it available for sale now, you should be able to find it at most Platinum retailers (including us!).

Hmm... 3776 Motosu versus Pilot Custom 74... sounds like an interesting comparison! Biggest differences are the filling mechanism, and the weight (the Custom 74 is 36g, the 3776 is 19g).

I think MrsGouletPens is mistaken regarding the weight of the Custom 74. If the Custom 74 weighed 36g it would be heavier than the quite hefty Vanishing Point. According to the weights Mr. Binder has on his site the Custom 74 weighs 22g. That sounds more like it.

Rokurinpapa, thanks for starting this thread. How does this pen write? I was thinking of a broad/medium nib. It is a shame they didn't make a silver converter to match. Usually the Japanese don't overlook little details like that. Any flex responsiveness to the nib?

Edited by SamCapote

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Sam, I didn't get find any flex in the one that I tried. Seemed like a typical Japanese nib to me. Fairly stiff and relatively skinny. Nice writer, though. Quite comfortable in the hand!

I appreciate your feedback. I think I am spoiled by the Nakaya Aka-Tamenuri I got from Nibs.com which is one of the best writers with a perfect nib slight flex responsiveness and always great flow.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

This is a stunning pen for sure! I love the way this #3776 feels. It is definitely one of the nicest demonstrators on the market, and with the perfect airtightness, it really makes for a great pen!

Rokurinpapa, thanks for starting this thread. How does this pen write? I was thinking of a broad/medium nib. It is a shame they didn't make a silver converter to match. Usually the Japanese don't overlook little details like that. Any flex responsiveness to the nib?

I think the nib has little flexibility but Motosu is very nice writer with that I can write outstanding accurate line . As I have no other 3776, I do not kow the difference between the nib of Motosu and the nib of oridinary 3776.

rokurinpapa

Sam, I didn't get find any flex in the one that I tried. Seemed like a typical Japanese nib to me. Fairly stiff and relatively skinny. Nice writer, though. Quite comfortable in the hand!

I appreciate your feedback. I think I am spoiled by the Nakaya Aka-Tamenuri I got from Nibs.com which is one of the best writers with a perfect nib slight flex responsiveness and always great flow.

Man, that's a pretty one, Sam! I've written with a Nakaya once, but it wasn't nearly as nice as that one looks.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

Hmm... 3776 Motosu versus Pilot Custom 74... sounds like an interesting comparison! Biggest differences are the filling mechanism, and the weight (the Custom 74 is 36g, the 3776 is 19g).

I think MrsGouletPens is mistaken regarding the weight of the Custom 74. If the Custom 74 weighed 36g it would be heavier than the quite hefty Vanishing Point. According to the weights Mr. Binder has on his site the Custom 74 weighs 22g. That sounds more like it.

Thanks for pointing that out... you're right, I had a a data transfer typo from my spreadsheet to the website (mixed up the Custom 74 and Knight, oops!). I weighed it to be 23g. So verrrry similar to the 3776 in that case.

I don't think the 3776's have any flex to them, but I'll try to test one out for myself this week.

Edited by MrsGouletPens

• 1 month later...

I recently purchased a Platinum #3776 fountain pen with the 14K "Music" nib. I filled it with Noodler's Luxury Blue ink (one ounce bottle). The performance of the pen was _most_ outstanding! The pen and the ink were made for each other. Even though the "music" nib is somewhat broader than I'm use to, this is now my primary pen, even though I have far more expensive pens. The smoothness, even ink flow, lack of clog, even after being unused for an extended period of time, all make this one of the finest pens on the market. The "music" type nib makes the writing very distinctive without going "over the top". I don't know what more anyone could want in a pen. Everything about this pen is top notch, especially the very, very well made nip. The low cost of the pen makes it highly "cost effective", even when using the one ounce size inks from Noodler's. You just can't get a better combination. You might pay a lot more for a pen, but you'll never get better performance! What more can I say?

Note: The Noodler's Luxury Blue ink is highly outstanding by any test you measure ink by. It's nicely "bullet proof" and has the extra feature of glowing under ultra violet light. I've tried the bullet proof features right after drying and after 24 to 48 hours, they work as advertised.

http://folding.stanford.edu

Save lives, visit today!