Namiki Ink Water Resistance Test

HeathnKara

Background: I work in a chemical plant environment and I need a waterproof or highly water resistant ink. I had recently started using a Namiki VP (easy to use one handed) and wanted to use cartridges for convenience. Before I swapped from Noodler's Black though, I had to see how the Namiki ink compared. Thanks to Taki for providing me with sample cartridges to use in my test.

Setup: I compared five inks: Namiki Black, Namiki Blue, Namiki Blue-Black, Private Reserve Lake Placid Blue and Noodler's Black. The PR and the Noodler's inks were included as controls, one waterproof and the other not. One sheet was placed under running water for one minute, the other soaked in water for thirty minutes. The test each sheet was exposed to is noted in the bottom right hand corner.

One Minute Running Water Results: As expected, Noodler's showed no change and the PR was almost completely obliterated. The surprise was that the Namiki Blue showed the most water resistance of the three Namiki shades. Black degraded significantly, and the Blue-Black was that remained was predominately Blue. Blue appeared to have the largest portion of the original ink remaining.

Thirty Minute Soaking Results: Similar results as noted in the one minute running water test, with additional observation that the Namiki Blue showed greater resistance to being transported through the paper by the water, i.e. it "smudged" less.

Overall Conclusion: The Namiki Blue ink performed the best of the three Namiki inks, and while not waterproof has excellent water resistance properties.

Pictures are in separate posts because I'm not clever enough to put multiples in one posting.

Comments and suggestions welcome, as long as nobody starts a flame war. Thanks again to Taki, without whom this humble test would not have happened.

Heath

Arguing with an engineer is a lot like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a while, you realize the pig likes it.

Geaux Tigers!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HeathnKara

• southpaw

• chainwhip

• NG-Huy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One Minute Running Water Prior to Testing

post-35-1163824474_thumb.jpg

Arguing with an engineer is a lot like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a while, you realize the pig likes it.

Geaux Tigers!

Thirty Minute Soak Prior to Testing

post-35-1163824520_thumb.jpg

Geaux Tigers!

One Minute Running Water After Testing

post-35-1163824547_thumb.jpg

Geaux Tigers!

Thirty Minute Soak After Testing

post-35-1163824577_thumb.jpg

Geaux Tigers!

Thanks for the review... Geaux Tigers! :)

Geaux Tigers! Visça el Barça!

WTB: MB Kafka, Lamy Safari 2009 Orange, Pilot MYU (Black or Clear/White Stripe), Seiko FrankenTuna SKZ253 / SKZ255

Thanks for the interesting test results!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

You can buy Namiki ink in bottles. I think pendemonium.com and swisherpens.com carry it.

Heath

Geaux Tigers!

• 2 years later...

Is it difficult to flush Namiki Blue (also known as Pilot Blue) ink?

Edited by Pen2009

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I also have just come across this post at a good time. I know it's been a while but, Heath, thankyou very much for doing these tests and posting the results. I have a new Pilot VP and have been using Pilot Blue cartridges but been a little nervous that it would wash away when I spill something on my journal (it has happened a few times!). Some Pilot Black and Blue-Black cartridges are on their way to me from Jet Pens as well so I'm quite relieved.

scratchy

Sailor Professional Gear GT B Nib

Sailor Sapporo GT F Nib

Pelikan M1000 (black) B Nib

Bexley Simplicity bronze GT B nib

Pilot VP blue/GT B nib

• 2 months later...

Another thumbs up here for Namiki blue. A well-behaved if plain-looking blue that is surprisingly water resistant.

I believe that Namiki Blue is different to Pilot Blue. Certainly they are supplied in different bottles.

• 1 month later...

I'm using Pilot Namiki Blue cartridges in my VP until I can get my hands on Bad Belted Kingfisher (which is in the mail on the way here as I type this). Although I have yet to use it for really critical writing, it's good to know that it will resist a spill or two. It's also a really good-flowing, well-behaved, all-around good, basic ink that I can't ever complain about.

EXCELLENT REVIEW and it makes me feel confident using the blue carts in my Plumix for italics practice.

• 1 month later...

Another thumbs up here for Namiki blue. A well-behaved if plain-looking blue that is surprisingly water resistant.

I believe that Namiki Blue is different to Pilot Blue. Certainly they are supplied in different bottles.

Yes, the bottles are different (causing the price difference), but both brands are printed on the cartridge box, and the color is the same from the Namiki bottle and the Pilot/Namiki cartridge (unless some evaporation has happened from an older cartridge).

The Namiki bottle is worth the extra cost, at least to buy it once for that color. It looks cool, has an excellent cap seal, and has an internal dip well to make it easier to fill pens.

• 8 months later...

Thanks for this review. I just bought a bottle of Pilot Blue from jetpens based on your recommendation.

Best,

Jesse

Canada

Background: I work in a chemical plant environment and I need a waterproof or highly water resistant ink. I had recently started using a Namiki VP (easy to use one handed) and wanted to use cartridges for convenience. Before I swapped from Noodler's Black though, I had to see how the Namiki ink compared. Thanks to Taki for providing me with sample cartridges to use in my test.

Setup: I compared five inks: Namiki Black, Namiki Blue, Namiki Blue-Black, Private Reserve Lake Placid Blue and Noodler's Black. The PR and the Noodler's inks were included as controls, one waterproof and the other not. One sheet was placed under running water for one minute, the other soaked in water for thirty minutes. The test each sheet was exposed to is noted in the bottom right hand corner.

One Minute Running Water Results: As expected, Noodler's showed no change and the PR was almost completely obliterated. The surprise was that the Namiki Blue showed the most water resistance of the three Namiki shades. Black degraded significantly, and the Blue-Black was that remained was predominately Blue. Blue appeared to have the largest portion of the original ink remaining.

Thirty Minute Soaking Results: Similar results as noted in the one minute running water test, with additional observation that the Namiki Blue showed greater resistance to being transported through the paper by the water, i.e. it "smudged" less.

Overall Conclusion: The Namiki Blue ink performed the best of the three Namiki inks, and while not waterproof has excellent water resistance properties.

Pictures are in separate posts because I'm not clever enough to put multiples in one posting.

Comments and suggestions welcome, as long as nobody starts a flame war. Thanks again to Taki, without whom this humble test would not have happened.

Heath

• 11 months later...