Italix 'parsons' Essential' Fountain Pen.

Lorna Reed

Just got my Italix today, with the medium italic nib. Had I known that the fine nib was coming, I'd probably waited. Now that I've tried the medium italix nib, I'm tempted to get the fine italic in addition to the one I've got... :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• papabear16

• Harlequin

• cbaytan

• pjford

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Up to now, i use my Italix Parsons Essential daily. For that matter, i use it a LOT. It never fails to perform, however i still feel that using cartridges is the best way to fill this pen, despite the overall good quality of the converter provided, but i keep having troubles with inkflow using the converter. I did however not use another inkbottle than the regular black Pelikan 4001. The long (non EU standard) Waterman cartridges are really wonderful, however. In answer to my Q. on this matter, Ronlakin replied with better experiences than mine, so maybe it has also to do with the type and brand of ink.

What else can i say ? If feel it's a great pen. I only can underline the fine experiences of other users. I feel we also owe mrs. Reed because she attended us all first on this pen.

Update:

Writing like dream. Starting up first time, no skipping. Last used it a couple of days ago. Decided to get it out of the box tonight, didn't start up first time,unscrewed barrel and we have got a big leak. It was everywhere including my fingers! Been using the converter filled with Diamine Syrah without a problem until now.

Could it be because I left it a couple of days?

As you recommend the long Waterman cartridges I'm wondering whether you have tried a Waterman converter?

Still love it.

Hello there, back again.

No, i didn't think of a waterman converter or of another brand. I'm for now very happy though with the performance of the Parson's with the waterman long cartridges. I think also that long cartridges of other brands would fit perfectly, but i have no knowledge of or experience with those.

I dropped my Parsons Essential on a marble floor on Sunday. Apart from the converter coming adrift, no damage at all.

I have ordered a medium italic and can't wait for it to arrive. Maybe today.

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

I ordered a Parson's Essential Fine Italic last week and was amazed to have it delivered in 4 days to Canada. It wrote first time right out of the box and is a slightly wet writer. This is my first italic nib and it has a forgiving sweet spot. Hold it there and it's a joy to write with!

I am really impressed with the value and quality of this pen for the price. I am tempted to order another with the medium italic nib.

[color="#000080"][size="3"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Les[/font][/size][/color]

I've had my eye on one of these for some time, particularly because it's an italic. I might be getting the credit card out.

Chris B.

My Italix Parsons Essential with a medium italic nib arrived today. What a great pen!

The nib is so smooth, it makes writing such a great pleasure.

My thanks to Mr.Ford for a great pen and customer service - ordered on Saturday 25th and received today. (With a bank holiday in between) :clap1:

post-41470-0-67072400-1346250990.jpg

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

My Italix Parsons Essential with a medium italic nib arrived today. What a great pen!

My thanks to Mr.Ford for a great pen and customer service - ordered on Saturday 25th and received today. (With a bank holiday in between) :clap1:

post-41470-0-67072400-1346250990.jpg

It really is an amazingly smooth pen hey!

Mine arrived today. Slim, cardboard box, with 6 inches of glossy black smoothness within. Stiff clip - but not absurdly stiff at all, subtle graphics,elegant nib. Loaded up with Lamy Black, this is a wet smooth writer. Only used it a bit, but seems comfortable. Like all italics, it has a sweet spot, but get that right and it is, honestly, a really nice nib. The converter seems to have more capacity than most as well, but that may be an illusion. Very impressed indeed. Thank you Mr Pen! Do you know, I think I might buy another.

Hello Lorna, it seems that they still only produce the celtic knot design, or did you deliberately ask for this design ?

Hello Lorna, it seems that they still only produce the celtic knot design, or did you deliberately ask for this design ?

Hi Pennie. I didn't specify which design I wanted, and Mr. Ford sent the celtic knot design. I don't know if he still has the greek key one in stock. I do prefer the greek key design but it's good to have one of each so i can tell which is medium, and which medium italic, without taking the caps off.

post-41470-0-91300000-1346417662.jpg

Philippians 4.8

:hmm1: so, I refilled mine, and today when I picked it up to use it it ran out of ink.

I thought perhaps it just needed a twiddle of the converter to send some ink down so I opened it - Woooshh! all the ink was inside the barrel! Converter still on tight though so I do not know what happened!

Refilled and now to test it over a few days and see what happens.

:hmm1: so, I refilled mine, and today when I picked it up to use it it ran out of ink.

I thought perhaps it just needed a twiddle of the converter to send some ink down so I opened it - Woooshh! all the ink was inside the barrel! Converter still on tight though so I do not know what happened!

Refilled and now to test it over a few days and see what happens.

Oh dear :crybaby: I wonder if you got a faulty converter? I've not had this problem at all. I just checked both mine and found to my surprise that I have two different converters. the first has no brand name, and the one on my new pen has a Schmidt converter. Strange.

Have you contacted Mr.Ford about the problem. I'm sure he'll sort it out for you.

Philippians 4.8

Both the Greek and Celtic designs are gorgeous! I do prefer the Celtic, though! :P I'm waiting for my pen fund to grow a bit before I get one of these pens. :)

Stompie, it sounds like that you may need to put a ball agitator in your converter (or switch to another converter with a ball agitator already inside it) to ensure that the ink doesn't stick in one place...

ETA: Whoops, realized you meant that the converter leaked somehow. Hope you figure out what the issue is...

Edited by nightwing

Both the Greek and Celtic designs are gorgeous! I do prefer the Celtic, though! :P I'm waiting for my pen fund to grow a bit before I get one of these pens. :)

Stompie, it sounds like that you may need to put a ball agitator in your converter (or switch to another converter with a ball agitator already inside it) to ensure that the ink doesn't stick in one place...

ETA: Whoops, realized you meant that the converter leaked somehow. Hope you figure out what the issue is...

:roflmho: yeah, there is no problem with the ink not sticking in one place, it wandered all over the inside of the barrel! :roflmho:

One thing though, it never leaked out the barrel!!!!! :eureka: I wonder if I just put a bit of silicone grease on the threads and then fill it right up!!!!

:roflmho: yeah, there is no problem with the ink not sticking in one place, it wandered all over the inside of the barrel! :roflmho:

One thing though, it never leaked out the barrel!!!!! :eureka: I wonder if I just put a bit of silicone grease on the threads and then fill it right up!!!!

You mean making it an eye dropper? Unadvised, since the barrel is made of brass and the ink will eat it.

A Fountain Pen is never just a Fountain Pen.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a mention, we have a new additional fountain pen arriving on October the 1st. Called the 'Churchman's Prescriptor'.

http://mrpen.co.uk/contents/media/flowlittle.png www.mrpen.co.uk

Ooh, that sounds interesting. :bunny01: Any more info. or photos?

Philippians 4.8

We only have a tiny number coming in, with our next batch of 'Parson's. The 'Prescriptor' has the same type of nib unit, so we should be able to offer all the derivatives. Again a very classical design but completely different from the Parson's, gold trim and we asked them to make the barrel and caps in black (sorry not very adventurous but safe). No pictures yet, as we need to complete our bit when the pens arrive. Have introduced Parson's as a Rollerball, which is in stock now. Very simple to make, as all it requires is a spring up the barrel and a new front end. Takes standard Euro rollerball refill. We are also looking at a matching ballpoint option. We would appreciate any feedback on other colours as an alternative to black.

http://mrpen.co.uk/contents/media/flowlittle.png www.mrpen.co.uk

I feel silly adding to the (I hope not very numerous) party of those whose converters as supplied with the pen leaked, but there are enough of us so that I begin to wonder. In the event, I thought that Peter Ford is one of the good people of our hobby, and it is pointless to complain of such a small thing at a distance of 6000 miles. If I lived in the Great Wen or its suburbs it might be a different story.

So I use the pen with Waterman long cartridges, refilled as necessary. I've felt somewhat put off by the early ink on fingers experiences, and haven't used the pen nearly as often as I might have done otherwise. But I agree with everything said about how smooth the nib is, mine being a medium italic.

To strike a different note, I am amused by the parody aspect of the pen's name, and that of its stablemate the Churchman's Prescriptor. It doesn't reach back to the 1950s I remember, nor even to the 1920s, known as the Jazz Age rather than the Collected Sermons Age, but perhaps to a steampunk vision of the Trollopean.