Safety Ink Shut-Off

simp

Hi,

according to my sources this device was introduced in 1935, and then removed after a Federal Trade Commission order. I'd like to set a time interval about its use, but I cannot find any reference for that Federal Trade Commission order. Does anyone know about it?

Regards

Simone

Fountain Pen Wiki - www.FountainPen.it

Fountain pen Chronology (need help to improve...)

Old advertisement (needing new ones to enlarge the gallery...)

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wahlnut

• simp

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

according to my sources this device was introduced in 1935, and then removed after a Federal Trade Commission order. I'd like to set a time interval about its use, but I cannot find any reference for that Federal Trade Commission order. Does anyone know about it?

Regards

Simone

There may not have been an actual "cease and desist order" issued, as such may not have been necessary. However, there was an investigation and the "respondent" did respond to the inquiry. It is listed in the FTC report of activities for 1940 as:

"Wahl Co Chicago. - Misrepresenting construction and quality : fountain pens."

My own observation based on what I know about the financial condition (poor) of the Wahl Company at that time I doubt they had the resources or desire to fight.

There is more information, where it is written that the claims that were being made by Wahl in print and on the radio that you could handle the pen roughly without leaking were disputed, as exaggerations because some of the ridiculous claims and stunts performed to demonstrate the reliability of the Safety Ink Shut Off mechanism were just too much. Because under such vigorous circumstance, like dropping the pen on the floor some leaking did occur. Even that did not impugn the claims about the mechanism as a shut off method, because for example ink filled sections, nibs, feeds, that were full because the writer was just finished using the pen, could leak even if the mechanism (bleep) off the flow of fresh ink from the barrel to the section. That was why saying that the Safety Ink Shut Off system could not be expected to stop all leakage from other areas beyong its control. Nonetheless the advertising was claiming otherwise.

For whatever it may be worth here, The mechanism was effective under normal operating circumstances for a fountain pen (no overly rough treatment) for a good period after purchase, but the rubber gasket that the cone head push rod seated against was subject to deterioration with age, and also blockage from dried ink if the pen were not well maintained. It was not guaranteed to stop leakage for life. We today who restore such pens replace the gasket as without a good one in there the mechanism is useless.

Syd

Edited by Wahlnut

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens