Montblanc Meisterstück 146 1940's - 1970's (Including The Rare Transitional Model)

Michael R.

Awesome post! I am still confused though!!! I have a clear windowed 146 pen with W.Germany on the clip BUTit has a two tone 14k nib and brass piston threads. Is this just a Frankenstein pen? My father swears it has always been like this. Please help us work this out.

Likely transitional.

My Website

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michael R.

• siamackz

• jar

• CS388

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

clear windowed 146 pen with W.Germany on the clip BUTit has a two tone 14k nib and brass piston threads

Yes, I also have two of them ... there were many different transitional models.

www.fountainpen.de - the website for Montblanc and Astoria collectors

logo.gif

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for this fantastic review. I'm new to the site and to the 146. I simply can't believe the amount of work you put into it. THANK YOU!

• 2 months later...

I've just bought one 146, I think it's a late 1970 model. It's like a new one, never inked as I was told.

The owner keep it since early 80's when has worked at an Airliner. The pen comes with a gift set, I will post good picutres later.

Wondering how proudly could be to engrave the pen with W. Germany! :)

Look the pictures, it is really a late 70's?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/fravin/IMG_0009_zpss54qhukq.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/fravin/IMG_0012_zpsykirpn2l.jpg

I've just bought one 146, I think it's a late 1970 model. It's like a new one, never inked as I was told.

The owner keep it since early 80's when has worked at an Airliner. The pen comes with a gift set, I will post good picutres later.

Wondering how proudly could be to engrave the pen with W. Germany! :)

West Germany was only used in the mid to late 1980s through 1991 on pens as far as I know.

But that ink window certainly looks 1970s. Maybe this is a pen that sat for a while as stock and then got a new nib size sticker later. Regardless, it looks great.

Edited by zaddick

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I will take some good picutres. By now it's from my iphone camera.

The feed looks like the Michael's '70.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/fravin/IMG_0017_zpss1qxdjep.jpg

Take a look in the gift set:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/fravin/IMG_0013_zpsvox3dk7j.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/fravin/IMG_0014_zpskwcrrjml.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/fravin/IMG_0015_zpsti62nkjl.jpg

Hey guys,

I'm new to the FPN, but have been collecting Montblanc for years. This thread has some amazing history of the 146! I have recently acquired a collection of the striated pieces (142, 144, and 146 Tiger Eye) from the 1950s. The person I purchased the collection from has some original boxes, but some are missing. It started me thinking: how have the presentation boxes changed throughout the years? I have seen many different ones through the decades, but I'm curious if anyone knows a history of how the boxes have changed. Since I'm new, I'm not sure how to start a new thread, but this one has so much great history that I figured it would be a good place to start. I would appreciate any help that can be provided. Thanks so much!

Chris Henline

I can't comment on the boxes as I don't know much about the different versions, but one thing I am sure of is that wasn't a 146 Tigers Eye version produced.

Are you certain it's a 146? Pictures may help

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent post Michael. Thank you for the knowledge.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

• 1 month later...

Quite an excellent and enjoyable review... At the moment a Montblanc 146 is the pen that I most covet. Thank you for reinforcing that desire.

• 2 months later...

I knew almost nothing about my 146.

After reading your article, I feel that I've gained quite a bit of knowledge of the beauty I have in hand.

Excellent and extremely informative review!!

Thank you!!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wonder if anyone can help me. I recently came by this pen and I need help to determine if it's genuine.

What concerns me is the grip is white instead of black, there is no serial number and the nib is all gold instead of gold/silver. I have seen from the photos here that the some came with an all gold nib but it says nothing that I can see (unless I missed it) about serial numbers.

The nib is all gold and has engraved on it

Montblanc logo with 'M' in the middle
Montblanc

The cap has "Montblanc - Meisterstück No.146"

The clip has "W Germany" stamped on it.

I guess that may make it genuine but I've never seen one with a white grip like that before (see photo)

Regards

Danny

post-127992-0-38955800-1454625063.jpg

I saw a 146 on ebay, recently, with the same discolouration.

If this is the same pen, I'd say it was genuine - but I've never seen such a discolouration before.

On this model, the section cover (grip) is a seperate part. It can be quite simply replaced - or Montblanc service will do it for you, at a price. There may even be a way to return it to its original black, but I'm not sure what that would be? Other members may have suggestions.

Meanwhile, if it writes well, I'd use it as it is - unless you can't live with it.

Of course, it could be intentional - a custom job? It looks like a cloudy sky.

Enjoy.

Edited to add: You may get more response by starting a new thread. This thread deals with the 146 from an historic angle.

Edited by CS388

• 3 weeks later...

There are a couple refinements I would like to make to the original post.

When the filler knob is marked 146-G, I believe this referred to the use of a gold nib rather than an alloy or steel nib. When the 146 was first issued, both gold and alloy nibs were available and the G was used to distinguish between the two. Later on, the alloy nibs were discontinued. Alloy nibs had been a requirement of the German government in the run-up to the war, during the war, and immediately afterwards. I believe this requirement ended in the late 1940s.

The pens that are shown as the 1970s model are probably from the 1980s. I have seen many pens on ebay with nibs marked 14C rather than 14K and with slightly different collars on the section. These collars are proud of the section where they meet the section rather than being tapered and aligned with the section.

At least in the 149 model, there is general agreement that the 14K nibs were not introduced until about 1985. I realize that the introduction date on the 146 could have been different.

Here are some pictures of what I would call the 1970s model with the 14C nib and the slightly different collar.:

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv78/not-great-men/_1_zpskwcqn2w2.jpg

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv78/not-great-men/_2_zpstnflmna4.jpg

Edited by entertainment

I have a couple of pens with the more pronounced lip that you have posted above. I do think these are from the earlier end of the post celluloid 146 era as you say. Both of mine have clips with the curved root and no stamped "Germany" similar to the celluloid 146s. It is hard to say when they shifted to the more flush collar and stamped clip so it may still be possible to have a pen from the 70s that looks similar to the 80s vintage.

There are a couple refinements I would like to make to the original post....

The pens that are shown as the 1970s model are probably from the 1980s. I have seen many pens on ebay with nibs marked 14C rather than 14K and with slightly different collars on the section. These collars are proud of the section where they meet the section rather than being tapered and aligned with the section........

Here are some pictures of what I would call the 1970s model with the 14C nib and the slightly different collar.:

FPN'r hari and I agree and have been arguing this point for years....

See here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/201251-146-monotone-nibs-some-pictures/

And on another forum here:

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/3257-How-not-to-sell-a-Montblanc-on-eBay

Rick

Edited by talkinghead

MY-stair-shtook eyn-HOON-dairt noyn und FEART-seeg (Meisterstuck #149)

"the last pen I bought is the next to the last pen I will ever buy.."---jar

WTB: Sheaffer OS Balance with FLEX nibs

porkopolispennerslogorev1.jpg

Porkopolis Penners Blog