Pelikan Blue Black Discontinued In The U. S.

Black Rose

I figured there would be a thread about this by now from someone following one of the Goulet Pen Company media feeds (Blog/Facebook/Twitter), but I couldn't find one, so there is one now :)

No reason has been given yet, but Brian went to order some Pelikan Blue Black today and was told that it had been discontinued.

Very strange development if you ask me.

Here is his Blog posting with the rest of the info.

EDIT: Correction

Edited by KCat

In Ottawa, Ontario? Check out The Ottawa Pen Posse

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Good Captain

• Phormula

• piembi

• Black Rose

That's just nuts! I can't imagine why they would do that. Their BB is a staple ink for so many people, myself included. Oh well, the search begins...

A sad day indeed.

Edited by Biber

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

Truly bizarre.

The only comfort is that Lamy Blue-black (IMO) is virtually identical in color and behavior. But still, I would have thought this was one of the most popular BB inks out there. Inexpensive, great in slowing down a wet writer (which so many Pels tend to be) and just all around a much-loved ink.

I'm just amazed.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

of all the colors pelikan has, they decide to discontinue a classic? i'll never understand ANY company...it seems like so many companies have GREAT products, and then they discontinue them and produce something that is not as good...

For what it's worth, I've been using a mixture of 6 parts Pelikan Royal Blue to 1 part Sheaffer black in my Pelikan M205, and it looks a lot like most of the scans of Pelikan Blue-Black that I've seen.

Since Pelikan Blue-Black isn't a true iron-gall blue-black, I wouldn't be surprised if it was just some mix of Royal Blue and Brilliant Black, and thus should be easy to reproduce.

I may have to pick up a bottle of blue-black at the local pen shop before they're all gone.

By the way, Pelikan Blue-Black is still on Pelikan's German web site, but only in the 30mL size:

http://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar/de_DE.Store.displayStore.25455./tinte-4001

Edited by stefanv

Stefan Vorkoetter

Visit my collection of fountain pen articles at StefanV.com.

A pen from my collection:

spacer.png

The optimist in me hopes that they discontinue it so they could launch a reformulated version or something akin.

In some things in life it's better to take a Zen approach. If you think too much you won't achieve your goal, wheras if you don't think and let yourself go, it shall be achieved with ease. I find this helpful in writing, kendo and music.

I just sent an email to the German Pelikan customer service. It would be a pity since I've really grown to like this ink, but it could explain why it was so hard to find in stores recently.

Thanks for the link Black Rose. I'm mystified why they've discontinued this color, and there was no warning. I'm a little peeved because I'm out of the ink and would certainly have wanted to keep a bottle for myself for personal use and collection. Oh well! :crybaby:

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

I used this ink as my only ink for close to ten years. I still have a few cartridges at home, but was going to order a bottle soon. What a shame that they'd discontinue what many believe to be "The Blue/Black Ink". I hope they're simply consolidating their 4001 and Edelstein lines and we'll see the blue/black emerge re-badged and in the fancy bottles.

Collection Counts: Cross-4, Esterbrook-15, Eversharp-1, Graf von Faber-Castell-1, Jinhao-2, Kaweco-1, Lamy-6, Levenger-2, Monteverde-1, Pilot/Namiki-3, Noodler's-1, Parker-18, Rotring-10, Sailor-1, Sheaffer-19, TWSBI-1, Visconti-4, Waterford-1, Waterman-7

Favorite Inks: Diamine, Levenger, Private Reserve, Noodler's Lexington Gray

:gaah: :gaah: :gaah: :gaah:

Pelikan BB is out there as long as I can remember. It is the very ink I am using for at least 2/3 of my writing! This stuff works best with my vintage Pelikans and if one does not like a pale Royal Blue (=Pelikan), there aren't many options left. :bonk:

Guess I have to go shopping for Pelikan BB to stock some more bottles .....

Edited by piembi

I bet that Pelikan is discontinuing "blue-black" and plans to market "midnight-blue", an identical ink with a higher-priced name, just like Mont Blanc. :rolleyes:

I figured there would be a thread about this by now from someone following one of the Goulet Pen Company media feeds (Blog/Facebook/Twitter), but I couldn't find one, so there is one now :)

No reason has been given yet, but Brian went to order some Pelikan Blue Black today and was told that it had been discontinued.

Very strange development if you ask me.

Here is his Blog posting with the rest of the info.

EDIT: Correction

no -- cannot believe that news...

Ladies and gentleman, time to start hoarding those 4001 Blue Blacks... :ph34r:

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

I hope they're simply consolidating their 4001 and Edelstein lines and we'll see the blue/black emerge re-badged and in the fancy bottles.

Interesting possibility.

That would be a huge money grab if that is what they intend to do though.

In Ottawa, Ontario? Check out The Ottawa Pen Posse

WHAT?!

I find this rather shocking.

Grrrrrrr. Booooo. :angry:

Ugh....this is the just like how I felt when they discontinued the OMAS old style Paragon, changed the cap band on the Aurora Optima and stopped making US Skrip

This is very disappointing. I use this ink more than any other and I'll be very sorry to see it go.

Every time I think I've found my favorite ink...

This really stinks. However, I do hope Pelikan BB does come back even if it means a higher price due to a fancier bottle/different name.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

Noodler's Van Gogh Starry Nights, diluted 50:50 with water, is a pretty close match to Pel BB. At least to my poor untrained eye.

Great, but there's no Starry Nights in stock here at FPN; or if there is, they haven't announced a shipment being received.