This Ink Addiction.....

Lothianjavert

LoL, thank you all for your kind compliments. :cloud9:

In regards to how far back the rows go, most of those bottles are single bottles only. I keep empty ink bottles and empty boxes behind the filled bottles. However, I do keep some duplicates. For example, I have four bottles of the Noodler's UK Series ink, The Sun Never Sets. I usually replenish a bottle once the one I have gets lower than 1/4 full, depending on the colour.

For those of you wondering about the bottles being next to the window, I usually keep the blinds shut all day in that room, so the room stays dark 90% of the time. I only open the blinds when I am filling ink sample orders (and not even all the time then), but having easy and quick access to all colours I own is a must so I can fill ink sample orders quickly.

Since that photo was taken, I've filled up most of those empty spaces with new ink. :headsmack:

ETA: Honestly, I don't think I have that many bottles...

Edited by paperskater

Help out a poor college student! ^-^' INK SAMPLE CLEARANCE! - Parker Penman Sapphire samples, Palomino Blackwing, Palomino Blackwing 602, and empty vials available.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonSzanto

• Ink Stained Wretch

• WanderingAuthor

• USMCMom

I was trying to figure out a way I could somehow court and marry "Paperskater." I could then have the largest ink collection in the world!!!

By the time I got to "Jonzantos'" picture, any thoughts of courtship have now quickly turned toward him.

I'm PMing him right now...

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/ToasterPastryphoto/pop.jpg

Follow me on Twitter!

Read my silly blog!

By the way, since I live in the same seismic zone as jonzantos, I have placed several bottles on display, but most are hidden away in drawers, metal boxes etc.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/ToasterPastryphoto/Ink_collection_June_2011.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/ToasterPastryphoto/Pelikan_ink_bottles-1.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/ToasterPastryphoto/Parker_Quink_bottles.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/ToasterPastryphoto/Sanford_Penit_Red.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/ToasterPastryphoto/Turquoise_inks-1.jpg

Edited by ToasterPastry

Follow me on Twitter!

Read my silly blog!

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb204/EnvoyC/emotes/lol.gif Oh man... That ink collection pic got posted a month ago and it's still getting noticed! Sorry to disappoint you, TP, but that was just a photo I Googled. The good news? I'd switch the course of action back to courting Paperskater if I were you!

BTW, I love those Pelikan bottles - is that where Montblanc got the idea for their bottle? And the one in the red plastic orb is a hoot.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

jonsanto:

Darn (not the word I was thinking of)! I was ready to make a pilgrimage to your place just to see your ink bottle collection.

Regarding the Pelikan bottles...

In fact, Mont Blanc copied the design. But they weren't the only one. I have a Danish ink bottle with similar design.

Industrial designer Wilhelm Wagenfeld (1900-1990) created the classic ink-bottle design in 1938 for Günther Wagner Company, makers of Pelikan pens and inks. This bottle was produced by Vereinigte-Lausitzer-Glaswerke VLG Weisswasser.

Wagenfeld was an assistant instructor at the Bauhaus (1925). He is best known for his glasswork, where he designed many kitchen and tableware products in the 1940s. Later projects included hospitality packs for Lufthansa, porcelain tableware for Rosenthal, appliances for Braun, and lighting for WMF and Schott.

The red globe was produced by Sanford for the 1938 World's Fair in New York City.

Edited by ToasterPastry

Follow me on Twitter!

Read my silly blog!

TP, as always, you are a fount of information. I'm so sorry to disappoint on the ink collection. I've got about eight current bottles, 2 semi-vintage, and about 40 ink samples. Pedestrian.

As for the glassware, totally cool. Bauhaus, indeed.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

This is my ink shelf as of 5 minutes ago.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2270/5723085048_567eb78fa7_z.jpg

The empty spaces are going to be filled very soon, I'm afraid... :bonk:

my collection is not as impressive as yours, but i'm getting there. what worries me, though, i don't use ink that much on daily basis and so i have WAY too many inks than i need, and yet i still can't resist getting more :)

I know the feeling! I've had something of the experience! I am done buying ink now, however. Done buying pens too.

Industrial designer Wilhelm Wagenfeld (1900-1990) created the classic ink-bottle design in 1938 for Günther Wagner Company, makers of Pelikan pens and inks. This bottle was produced by Vereinigte-Lausitzer-Glaswerke VLG Weisswasser.

Oh [shudder] I'm thinking of what was happening in that time at that place :sick: .

The red globe was produced by Sanford for the 1938 World's Fair in New York City.

Oh! It's a tiny Perisphere :roflmho: ! The Trylon and Perisphere are sadly long gone, but you have your ink bottle holder. Glad to see it :thumbup: .

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

That massive bottle collection pic appears to be sourced from this site: http://www.1001inkbottles.com/ Browsing that site is a real joy, looking at all those ancient ink bottles.

Cool find!

~ Benjamin Franklin

Oh [shudder] I'm thinking of what was happening in that time at that place :sick: .

I had a similar thought. In fact, whenever I find myself tempted to go after a nice, vintage Pelikan, I find myself drawing back. It isn't that the company had any specific association with the horrors of the Third Reich - as far as I've ever been able to find out, they didn't. But, much as I am sure I'd love one of those pens, I find myself imagining the time and place they were new, and chills go down my spine.

That probably seems foolish to many here, and I certainly am not suggesting anyone should not collect vintage Pelikan pens or ink bottles. The company had no special ties to the NSDAP, and I have no doubt many who owned and used these pens were decent individuals. But, for me personally, not knowing who owned a old Pelikan, where and under what circumstances it was used when new, is such a daunting prospect I have so far been unable to overcome my hesitations. Because surely there is at least one of those old pens that spent the first years of its life in surroundings of unspeakable horror, considering when and where they were made.

My Quest for Grail Pens:

Onoto The Pen 5500

Gold & Brown Onoto Magna (1937-40)

Tangerine Swan 242 1/2

Large Tiger Eye LeBoeuf

Esterbrook Blue-Copper Marbled Relief 2-L

the Wandering Author

It's when you start injecting that you are really getting bad.

Chris B.

Uh... I have a syringe... and I use it... :roflmho:

My Quest for Grail Pens:

Onoto The Pen 5500

Gold & Brown Onoto Magna (1937-40)

Tangerine Swan 242 1/2

Large Tiger Eye LeBoeuf

Esterbrook Blue-Copper Marbled Relief 2-L

the Wandering Author

I figure if I still have fewer inks than single malts I've got my priorities straight.

~ Benjamin Franklin

I saw a sign for a new local business, "Ink Addiction". Sadly, it was a tattoo parlor.

I'm reading this thread, thinking that I'm not doing too badly. Then the postman knocks on the door with my order of ink from The Writing Desk.

Currently using:

-TWSBI 530 Diamond Pink (F nib) - Diamine Teal

I had a similar thought. In fact, whenever I find myself tempted to go after a nice, vintage Pelikan, I find myself drawing back. It isn't that the company had any specific association with the horrors of the Third Reich - as far as I've ever been able to find out, they didn't. But, much as I am sure I'd love one of those pens, I find myself imagining the time and place they were new, and chills go down my spine.

That probably seems foolish to many here, and I certainly am not suggesting anyone should not collect vintage Pelikan pens or ink bottles. The company had no special ties to the NSDAP, and I have no doubt many who owned and used these pens were decent individuals. But, for me personally, not knowing who owned a old Pelikan, where and under what circumstances it was used when new, is such a daunting prospect I have so far been unable to overcome my hesitations. Because surely there is at least one of those old pens that spent the first years of its life in surroundings of unspeakable horror, considering when and where they were made.

Well, it's not just Pelikan. There were other companies producing fountain pens in the days of the Third Reich, from inside of the Third Reich. When I see vintage fountain pens manufactured in Europe from before about 1945, I wonder about their original owners. In the camps people's possessions were taken from them. Knowing this I wonder about the fate of the original owners of vintage fountain pens from before 1945, especially vintage pens that are being sold from inside Europe today.

It's when you start injecting that you are really getting bad.

That's a hobby that will not be pursued for long.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

The empty spaces are going to be filled very soon, I'm afraid... :bonk:

Well, now I really don't feel too bad about the thirty-something bottles I have.

Great collection paperskater, and very nicely presented. :thumbup:

• 2 years later...

Wow!!! :puddle: Although I have only 14 inks (currently :rolleyes: ) I can understood the urge to collect more inks, I basically started with five, I got bored in a month, so ordered more, to have more in rotation, and I'm pretty sure, I will get many more ink. Even if my colleagues worrying my mental health.. :D

The empty spaces are going to be filled very soon, I'm afraid... https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/wallbash.gif

I can see the Iroshizuku's on the top shelf and looks like J. Herbin on the bottom shelf