Montblanc Mb31 Vs. Mb32

shrieku

Hi

What is the difference between an MB31 and an MB32. I see they were entry level student/cheap models from the 50s-60s (Or is it it the 60s-70s?)

Are they any different structurally or in the design?

Would they be similarly priced in today's vintage second hand market?

The reason i ask is I bought a pen that was advertised on eBay as MB32 but the pen I received is an MB31. Should I be worried/cross? or is it no big deal?

Thanks for any and all information.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shrieku

• hari317

• karmakoda

• jar

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Subvet642

Hi

What is the difference between an MB31 and an MB32. I see they were entry level student/cheap models from the 50s-60s (Or is it it the 60s-70s?)

Are they any different structurally or in the design?

Would they be similarly priced in today's vintage second hand market?

The reason i ask is I bought a pen that was advertised on eBay as MB32 but the pen I received is an MB31. Should I be worried/cross? or is it no big deal?

Thanks for any and all information.

I don't know about values, but I believe it's nib size. I have a 31 and I love it. It has a great nib which I shaped into something with a bit of line variation, and it's small enough to fit in a T-shirt pocket.

The series of pens (30, 31, 32, 32S chrome cap, 34) differ in nib material, and I think the 32 and 34 may be a few millimeters longer than the 30 and 31. Some of the 3x pens were cartridge fillers or had steel nibs instead of solid gold. These were definitely the "user" grade and not the luxury grade.

My own 32 seems to have a 22 style nib, but I don't know what might have brought that about.

These 1960s pens don't have as much collector interest as the big meisterstucks or earlier pens, which seems to help keep the sale prices down a bit.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

Ok thanks. Now I see. The pen I have received does not have a gold nib, but a two-toned nib with gold colour inside and steel/white towards the tip. I dont know if it was an inadvertent mistake on the seller's part or a con.

Ok thanks. Now I see. The pen I have received does not have a gold nib, but a two-toned nib with gold colour inside and steel/white towards the tip. I dont know if it was an inadvertent mistake on the seller's part or a con.

Hi, if possible post a picture of your nib, it sounds like the plating is worn on your nib. the 31 should be cheaper than a 32 so you have not got what you paid for, atleast in my opinion.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

IIRC, the 31 has a plated steel nib whereas the 32 has a 14K nib.

Hi Hari

I think that is the case, but my son has a #31 with a 14C nib, and of the six pens listed on eBay, 3 have, or claim to have 14C nibs.

Two #31s for sale at Penboard.de have gold-plated steel nibs. Interesting to see a #32 at Penboard with a gold-plated steel nib and the hood over the nib, and a #32 Steno and a #32S.

I noticed that there is a design variation in the resin "hood" on the nibs, sometimes extending over the nib in a "V" point and sometimes a "V" shape in the opposite direction, revealing the nib breather hole, and "585" imprint.

I wonder if some of the pens are #32s with #31 caps?

http://cgi.ebay.com/MONTBLANC-No-31-fountain-pen-wonderful-14c-Wingnib-/170635708737?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27baae4941

Sorry, I could not focus the search at Penboard more than below:

http://www.penboard.de/shop/searchshop?srchvalue=montblanc+31&shop_seller=0

Thanks Hari- just what I was thinking. Posting some pics

http://s1.postimage.org/30nclb41c/20110512_001.jpg

image uploader

I have never seen a nib like this before on any of the #31 - 34 series. It is a two toned nib, but the imprints are unclear. What exactly is printed on the nib. It appears to be a gold nib with rhodium plate on the front, and the tip looks like the kugel, or "ball shaped" point.

Interesting pen. Also, what are the imprints on the metal cap end?

Cheers

Greg

What exactly is printed on the nib.

There is a plus mark within a circle. The plus mark is in outline if you know what i mean. It is not just 2 lines that make a plus but a dodecagon(12-sided polygon) in the form of a plus. I am not sure if there are any letters between the breather hole and this mark. The nib is dirty/tarnished.

Also, what are the imprints on the metal cap end?

It says Montblanc 31 twice going round the cap ring.

The montblanc edelweiss symbol is at the top end of the cap and again at the bottom end of the barrel. There is a blue window for the ink.

The nib on your pen is one I am unfamiliar with. There is much variety in this series though.

A much more clear photo would be helpful after a gentle cleaning of the nib. Just use warm water and a soft cloth, possible a very soft tooth brush.

The rest of the nib imprints are important to help identify what you have.

I noticed that there is a design variation in the resin "hood" on the nibs, sometimes extending over the nib in a "V" point and sometimes a "V" shape in the opposite direction, revealing the nib breather hole, and "585" imprint.

I wonder if some of the pens are #32s with #31 caps?

it is possible. Then there is also the 32D manifold nib which uses a conventional section and open nib, I have seen variations here too with a thumbnail like arrangement section. Best, Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I get a feeling that the nib on the OP's pen is aftermarket and not MB.

Yes, I agree. The nib is reminiscent of vintage two-tone Sheaffers/Parkers or even Heros.

It's one thing to get a #31 when the pen was advertised as a #32, but when the nib is not even an authentic MB nib, the heart goes out of the deal.

Might be a good idea to contact a couple of pen vendors to see if they have any spare 31 or 32 nibs, if compatible. That would fix it.

I can do some asking around.

Greg

Edited by karmakoda

Thats very kind of you Greg. I am corresponding with the seller to sort something out. As I live in the UK and the pen was sent from germany, sending it back is not the most practicable option. If the pen remains with me, I will need all the help to find a replacement nib. I will surely take up on your offer.

The nib has got me stuck. I have an 8x lens that is not helping me see anymore of the details. My mobile camera will not magnify it anymore. I am planning to take it to a Montblanc boutique tomorrow to see what they think of this and some other Montblancs (one supposedly so). One (A turbo) is broken in half at the neck and will need repair. It has a guarranty card so iam hoping that will amount to something. The other one is most likely an imitation, very nice one I must say. I surmised this on the serial number which is doing the rounds. Otherwise I have no expert knowledge on the pens. I am sure that wont last long if I hang around here :)

Some update

I took the Montblancs to the Boutique in Birmingham. A very helpful guy but not of much help :) He was not knowledgable is what I felt. He just took a look at the nib of the 31 through the lens and said it has the Montblanc edelweiss mark. When I pointed out that it was a cross, he took another look and said yes that was a cross. Likewise when I showed hhim what is most likely an Imitation Classique, he simply took a look at the serial number and the mark behind the clip and said it was genuine because it has these two! I have also given my Turbo to be sent to Hamburg for a repairs quote. Any ideas how much it may cost me? (The neck is broken in two- nib is fine as is the barrel and cap).

Back to the MB31- It does look like there is some writing on the nib but I could not make out what it is neither could the guy in the Boutique and the guy in "The Penshop".

Ok- the Boutique guy cleaned the nib for me. Viewing in the bright sun, which has been playing hide and seek all day today, and under the lens, I can see the nib markings more clearly.

The Plus mark (A Maltesae cross I believe) within the circle is as I described earlier- with 4 aditional lines, one each emerging from the joints between 2 arms. I can make out some of the letters and I can definitely say the word between this mark and the breather hole is "IRIDIUM".

Ok- the Boutique guy cleaned the nib for me. Viewing in the bright sun, which has been playing hide and seek all day today, and under the lens, I can see the nib markings more clearly.

The Plus mark (A Maltesae cross I believe) within the circle is as I described earlier- with 4 aditional lines, one each emerging from the joints between 2 arms. I can make out some of the letters and I can definitely say the word between this mark and the breather hole is "IRIDIUM".

Interesting.

The Maltese Cross has long been the symbol of another old German Fountain Pen Company, one still family owned and run by the granddaughter of the founder, Diplomat.

My Website