Montblanc 1950's Catalog

Michael R.

Again I would like to share a wonderful piece of history: a 1950's Montblanc Catalog. For the exact year I think this could be from 1957 as the models 6XX and 7XX pens already show the wing nib and the 262 is still listed (only made until 1957) as well as some of the earliest ballpoints (I believe Montblanc started selling Ballograf ballpoints in 1955).

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn140/PENSnINKS/Montblanc/Montblanc%201957%20Catalog/Montblanc19571.jpg

Wonderful wing nib; the catalog shows the address of a shop in Berlin, Germany

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn140/PENSnINKS/Montblanc/Montblanc%201957%20Catalog/Montblanc19572.jpg

Top of the line pens with the modern Wing nib

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn140/PENSnINKS/Montblanc/Montblanc%201957%20Catalog/Montblanc19573.jpg

The Meisterstück pens are still made from celluloid and the smaller ones come in three colors: schwarz (black), silbergrau (silver striated) and dunkel-seegrün (green striated). I've never seen the a reference showing the the name dunkel-seegrün (dark sea-green) for the green striated models!

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn140/PENSnINKS/Montblanc/Montblanc%201957%20Catalog/Montblanc19574.jpg

25X pens made from plastic rather than celluloid.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn140/PENSnINKS/Montblanc/Montblanc%201957%20Catalog/Montblanc19575.jpg

Desk sets and affordable line of 34X pens. Please note the different nib sizes shown on the first three pages of the catalog.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn140/PENSnINKS/Montblanc/Montblanc%201957%20Catalog/Montblanc19576.jpg

Matching pencils and student line pens.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn140/PENSnINKS/Montblanc/Montblanc%201957%20Catalog/Montblanc19577.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn140/PENSnINKS/Montblanc/Montblanc%201957%20Catalog/Montblanc19578.jpg

Lots of ballpoints and pouches.

I hope you enjoy those.

I've posted other catalogs from Montblanc here (in case you've missed those so far):

Montblanc 1939 news

early 1950's

c. 1960's

Also Tom Westerich posted lots of nice catatlogs on his site mentioned here:

More Montblanc catalogs

Cheers

Michael

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michael R.

• hari317

• CS388

• s5blitzer

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice. Thanks for the efforts and for thinking about folks like me. Dry sponge always waiting to suck up new MB information.

Fascinating Michael, Thank you! I'll suggest to the moderators to pin catalog scans for historical reference.

Top notch information - just the kind of thing this forum is all about - sharing experience and knowledge.

regards

Stephen

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.

John Muir

Danke!

Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

I'll take one of each... oh, wait... I can't figure out where I left my DM... rats...

Would be a fun collection goal to find everything in this catalog... I have never seen or heard of the ballpoint clickers... I've seen only two of the quad-point ballpoints.

MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

This information is really engaging. Thank you.

By the way, a MB 149 for 90 Deutsche Mark in 1957 equates to USD $22.50. Oh, My!!! How times have changed!

Thanks Michael!!

Much appreciated! :clap1:

Rick

MY-stair-shtook eyn-HOON-dairt noyn und FEART-seeg (Meisterstuck #149)

"the last pen I bought is the next to the last pen I will ever buy.."---jar

WTB: Sheaffer OS Balance with FLEX nibs

porkopolispennerslogorev1.jpg

Porkopolis Penners Blog

Thanks Michael. I was gifted a Pix Nr 275 from Andrée from Sweden on FPN and I could not find any info on it until I looked at this 1950s catalog. Great references!

Cheers.

In the '50s the dollar was sometimes DM4.20 to a dollar.

In the '60s it was 4-1.

After '72 when Nixon took us off money...silver. The dollar started it's fall into worthlessness. MB's suddenly became US status symbols that they were not before. Like a Mercedes or a BMW...cheap cars back when the Dollar was Almighty.

A MB gold plated 149 could be had for 90DM or $22.50 and you could get a rolled gold Snorkel for that.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.