... Before Filling ...

TMLee

When I first got into FPs I really liked the shimmer and gleams in sailor jentle inks but I noticed it shimmers A LOT more if you give it a good shake. Now i've gotten into the habit of shaking all my inks so...

Hi my name is yoitzo and I am a shaker...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SamCapote

• MidnightBlue

• TMLee

• lapis

... Before filling ... Do you shake the bottle first?

Which bottle?

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• 2 weeks later...

I have always considered a bottle of ink to be like a Vodka martini or a can of paint, meaning that they all best when shaken and not stirred. When filling a pen I usually pick the ink I am going to fill the pen with and give the bottle good shake. I then go about cleaning the pen I going to filling with the ink or the pen I am taking out of the line up. Either way a pen gets cleaned while any air bubbles in the ink bottle dissipate before filling my pen.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety

Benjamin Franklin

I started shaking the bottle after noticing that Diamine Imperial Purple and Noodler's black are less intense if not shaken first, the black most noticeably.

I think BSB dislikes being shaken, and the resulting bubble which lures you into popping it resulting in a fine BSB spray is its revenge.

I always do. I've caught many an ink with a bit of sediment at the bottom. So I shake before I use and get my exercise in lieu of a Shake Weight.

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

I invert the bottle two/three times if the bottle has been standing awhile, have not noticed any difference in my limited time of new use, it just feels nice to do !

Montblanc: 146 75th Anniversary, 147 Le Grande, Doue Solitaire

Parker: Gold Duofold Centennial, Sonnet Fougere

Visconti Bronze Homo-Sapien

Waterman Edson Sapphire Blue

Whether ink or paint or any such materials, I instinctively give it a little shake before use. Just a habit - though certainly not my most problematic one! ;)

I tend to swirl vs shake mine. Less bubbles and seems to keep them well enough mixed. If shaken the Noodlers bottles tend to have a bubble across the top of the bottle that has to be popped prior to filling. No telling where the ink will go when the bubble is popped!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

i like it shaken not stirred :P

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

I tend to swirl vs shake mine. Less bubbles and seems to keep them well enough mixed. If shaken the Noodlers bottles tend to have a bubble across the top of the bottle that has to be popped prior to filling. No telling where the ink will go when the bubble is popped!

On the contrary, ink always goes onto the most stainable article of clothing or piece of furniture nearby. I'm starting to think I should just fill my pens in the bathtub

• 1 year later...

Bringing an old thread alive...

No one mentioned what could happen if you get sediment on your inkbottle, and afterwards you filter it using a small colander (a tea colander) or a nut milk bag.

Will this enable an old inkbottle?

Cheers,

Lone Coyote

Black ink? How are you supposed to distinguish the original from a copy?

• 10 months later...

Bringing an old thread alive...

No one mentioned what could happen if you get sediment on your inkbottle, and afterwards you filter it using a small colander (a tea colander) or a nut milk bag.

Will this enable an old inkbottle?

Cheers,

Lone Coyote

I'm curious about that, as well. I wonder if you'd find any trash left behind if you pored ink through a coffee filter.

On the contrary, ink always goes onto the most stainable article of clothing or piece of furniture nearby. I'm starting to think I should just fill my pens in the bathtub

Yes, ink always defies gravity and flies to my clothes... I think I need to fill my pens in a bathtub, and naked too...

• 1 year later...