Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Sailor Epinard Comparison

Here's a quick scan showing samples of the new Sailor epinard against the limited edition Sailor tokiwa mat green and Montblanc racing green. Sorry for the slight errors in the haikus; I'm in a bit of a rush this morning.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5186/5602896119_2a8992692f_b.jpg

To my eye, epinard is very close to the discontinued tokiwa mat green. They both have a yellowish undertone, although it is slightly more pronounced in TMG. Neither of the Sailor inks have the distinct gray component that is visible in MBRG.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• geoduc

• watch_art

• Jimmy James

• jbn10161

Thank you for posting this! Along with many others, have been curious as to how Epinard compared with MBRG.

Ah well... happyberet.gif

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

Thank you for posting that. I just got Epinard and I now no longer feel "deprived" that I missed out on getting Tokiwa Mat. I never used MBRG, based on the scan, I think I'm better off with the Epinard. :thumbup:

Jimmy James

Thanks for the useful comparison. Yeah, to me, I think between this and the bottle of I forget which LE I have that leans more toward khaki, I think I'll be covered at least mostly when I run out of Racing Green. It's not the same, but it's close enough to the ballpark to me.

Edited by Jimmy James

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

Nice handwriting too and helpful comparison for those of us on the hunt for the MB BRG substitute. Thanks.

We can trust the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. - Immanual Kant

Green fields of summer

Horsepower not measured

Pen and paper wait

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a lover of green ink but the Sailor Epinard could change that. Sad to say I find the MB Racing Green too flat/dull and even uninspiring though I know there are souls out there that love it.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent comparison; thanks! If you decide to redo the comparison, you might consider adding J. Herbin Vert Empire to the group.

JN

Excellent comparison; thanks! If you decide to redo the comparison, you might consider adding J. Herbin Vert Empire to the group.

Sorry, but I don't have any Vert Empire remaining.

I bought a sample a while back and tried it. I didn't really like it. To my eye, it is more gray than MBRG and just didn't have enough going for it - there are many other dark/muted greens that I prefer. I know a lot of people like Vert Empire, so YMMV.

• 3 months later...

I think a halfway dilution of Noodler's Zhivago to water, 1:1, is spot on for that MBRG.... And its still very waterproof!

Also, I love Epinard, I hope they keep it around for a while!

Gobblecup ~