Vintage Coronet Sizes

talkinghead

Hi all,

Wondering if I get some info on Vintage Coronet sizes. Was there more than one size? ie a standard and a Junior size? And how big were these pens capped? Any links to Wahl/Eversharp pens, specifically Coronets, that would contain this info?

Thanks in advance for any help or direction.

Rick

Edited by talkinghead

MY-stair-shtook eyn-HOON-dairt noyn und FEART-seeg (Meisterstuck #149)

"the last pen I bought is the next to the last pen I will ever buy.."---jar

WTB: Sheaffer OS Balance with FLEX nibs

porkopolispennerslogorev1.jpg

Porkopolis Penners Blog

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• talkinghead

• Wahlnut

• ihimlen

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Wondering if I get some info on Vintage Coronet sizes. Was there more than one size? ie a standard and a Junior size? And how big were these pens capped? Any links to Wahl/Eversharp pens, specifically Coronets, that would contain this info?

Thanks in advance for any help or direction.

Rick

Hi Rick,

There was only one size of Coronet (there were slight variations between the All Gold Filled models and the Plastic Barrel models, but apart from that only one size. Capped, the all gold filled pen measures 5" in length (to get really really specific, that could vary by about 1/16" depending on how tightly screwed on the cap is). The pen cap measures 1/2" in diameter. Hope this is what you were looking for.

Syd

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

Hi Rick,

There was only one size of Coronet (there were slight variations between the All Gold Filled models and the Plastic Barrel models, but apart from that only one size. Capped, the all gold filled pen measures 5" in length (to get really really specific, that could vary by about 1/16" depending on how tightly screwed on the cap is). The pen cap measures 1/2" in diameter. Hope this is what you were looking for.

Syd

Thanks for the reply Syd, that was perfect! I just read also a post you made a few years ago here, while doing my own research. It appears I have an

Eversharp Gold Filled Pen or the New Eversharp Gold Filled Pen

and though considered to be a Coronet Model, it is correctly identified as the Gold Filled Pen. I was able to clean it up and put it through an ultrasonic. Everything seems intact,present, and in working condition except for a sac..(hardened remnants of you can see on the section post). The adjustable nib needs a little work too. I will post again once this beauty is completely restored.

DSCF5788.JPG

DSCF5797.JPG

DSCF5791.JPG

Thanks again for the help!

Rick

Porkopolis Penners Blog

I look forward to hearing how it all turns out. There were a few different configurations of the innards of Coronets. The rear end of the plastic barrel part that has the threads on it that engage the cap threads is where the sac nipple usually is found and that whole plastic part complete with the barrel threads on the front and the sac nipple at the rear is secured well inside the barrel beyond the brass bushing. When you look into your barrel, do you see a threaded brass bushing inside the barrel opening mouth? Or is your plastic threaded piece still on the barrel? I ask because your section (may well have been yet another configuration) looks to be the same as was used on the late 2nd Generation "Airliner" Dorics with the visualated barrels which had the sac right on the front assembly. Can you maybe post or send me a picture of the barrels opening? I would find it very interesting.

Syd

Edited by Wahlnut

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

Hi Syd...just sent a PM with a link to more pictures. Didn't want to take up more bandwidth here!

Rick

Porkopolis Penners Blog

This configuration is pretty interesting and I've seen it on another pen - the threaded part of the barrel (that threads into the cap) with the ink view window is fused with the plastic inner barrel sleeve that also makes up the filigree inserts.

One of my fellow pen collectors owns a Coronet built this way and I can ask him if I can post some of his pics here (he did shoot some photos of the pen disassembled).

I'm guessing that the configuration described here (and shown in the pics above) probably appeared in 1939 and was an attempt of cutting the production costs by unification of the parts - that way Wahl could make sections for two models in one go (plus the initial design was a bit over-engineered).

ihimlen

Edited by ihimlen

ihimlen

www.opiorach.blogspot.com

www.forumopiorach.net