Fabriano Bouquet Notebook Set Review

ClassicHippie

I was at a local art supply store today and spotted this set of seven notebooks, the Fabriano Bouquet. Each contains a different paper: velvety, parchment, embossed, laid, ecological, natural, and felt marked. I bought it because I wanted to try some different paper and it's just such a stunning set. They come in a gorgeous rainbow of colors and each is labeled on the heavy, textured cover. The pages are glued in (which makes them slightly removable, especially at the front and back), but they're not unsecured enough to fall out. Each notebook is 4"x 5.5".The set of seven was just over $20.

http://www.in2art.com/images/products/20922706_bouquet.jpg

I've written with several pens in order in each of the notebooks for comparison. As I'm sure you can tell, I've been working my way through some Iroshizuku samples, so that's the large majority of the writing samples.

P1020107.JPG

The first three notebooks are bright white and others are ivory.

P1020110.JPG

This card came with the set and details the paper in each notebook.

P1020108.JPG

The red notebook is Velvety. It's very simliar to Clairefontaine paper.

P1020111.JPG

P1020115.JPG

P1020136.JPG

The orange notebook is Parchment paper. I've never written on paper like this before and it was odd at first, but produces a rather cool effect. The Iroshizuku inks came out normally, but the Aurora didn't really "stick" to the paper. I'm not sure if it was the ink or the pen. I'll try the paper again with another brand later and see if it's the same.

P1020116.JPG

P1020117.JPG

This shows the transparency of the paper. It was written on the last page of the notebook.

P1020138.JPG

This is with a piece of white paper under the page.

P1020139.JPG

The yellow notebook is Embossed paper. It has a different texture, but is a nice weight and quality.

P1020118.JPG

P1020119.JPG

P1020140.JPG

The light green notebook is Laid paper, very similar to G. Lalo Verge de France.

P1020120.JPG

P1020121.JPG

P1020141.JPG

The dark green notebook is Ecological paper. It's recycled and has small flecks of the fibers common in these types of paper.

P1020122.JPG

P1020123.JPG

P1020142.JPG

The light blue notebook is Natural paper.

P1020124.JPG

P1020125.JPG

P1020143.JPG

The dark blue notebook is Felt Marked. It's pretty heavy with a lot of texture.

P1020126.JPG

P1020127.JPG

P1020144.JPG

These are the pens used in the writing samples.

P1020146.JPG

I think some of these notebooks are more usable in the traditional sense, but it's nice to have a large, bound variety of paper to test different pens and inks on before buying/using full sheets. The covers definitely caught my eye first and the paper kept me around for more. I'd recommend them :happyberet:

Edited by ClassicHippie

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ClassicHippie

• Phormula

• Anne-Sophie

• brunico

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a great looking set, especially for the price. Will keep an eye out for them and hope to pick thm up online. Thanks for the great review.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

This is a wonderful review! I'm going to move it to the "Paper & Pen Paraphernalia Reviews and Articles" topic AND leave a link here so visitors to both topics are sure to find it. Thanks much for posting!

Doug

This is a wonderful review! I'm going to move it to the "Paper & Pen Paraphernalia Reviews and Articles" topic AND leave a link here so visitors to both topics are sure to find it. Thanks much for posting!

Doug

I totally forgot about that section. Thanks!

Thanks for this fantastic review. :thumbup:

I am a fan of Fabriano paper, I use the standard squared glued notebooks when I need just standard paper for the office.

Don't take life too seriously

Nobody makes it out alive anyway

Thank you for finding a unique new product,

AND for taking the time to test each type of paper, demonstrating different pens and inks with very, very nice photos.

gary

Thank you for a great review! I use Fabriano paper for my art work, in 140 lb or 300 lb cold press (ordered online) ... great paper! There's an art store in the "big city", so I'll have to see if they carry it.

Fabriano is the supplier of the paper used to print Euro banknotes and other currencies ;) they have a long tradition in paper. Fabriano is the name of a town in the center of Italy, where the business started.

Those are the pads that I use for my daily office writing:

http://www.fabriano.com/p/en/199/ecological_paper

You can find the contact details for your country here (no affiliation):

http://www.fabriano.com/p/en/164/distributors

Edited by Phormula

Don't take life too seriously

Nobody makes it out alive anyway

I think some of these notebooks are more usable in the traditional sense, but it's nice to have a large, bound variety of paper to test different pens and inks on before buying/using full sheets. The covers definitely caught my eye first and the paper kept me around for more. I'd recommend them :happyberet:

Lovely paper and a very nice review! Thanks for the eye candy!

Thank you - I've seen these in Shepherd and Falkiner and in Green and Stone in London. I didn't really have a use for them - I seem to fill a Moleskine every two years - but I wanted to buy them because they looked so handsome.

I buy a lot of stuff from Jerrys Art Arama. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer. They have Fabriano Bouquet Notebooks sets like this. Use the search function on their site. IIRC the set is about $23.00. Jim

Edited by jimhughes

I'm glad you guys liked the review and the notebooks. After I get through the Iroshizuku ink samples (which probably won't be a while because I got one of each!) I'll update the writing samples with other ink brands. The actual paper content seems fairly similar to other high end brands offering the same types of paper, so I would imagine the inks would perform somewhat the same. I'm researching making a light box to improve my photography also.

Very nice review.

Now if I can just get my hands on some of those.....

All I want is 1 more pen, and 1 more bottle of ink, and maybe 1 more pad of paper. Well, at least until tomorrow. Oh yeah, and throw in that bottle of single malt. Is that asking for too much?

thanks Chris.

Thanks, an excellent job of reviewing papers.

I have used Fabriano papers (in large sheets) for 19th century photographic processes for nearly 30 years. Their quality is excellent and consistent.

Now I'll have to look for these notebooks.

first fountain pen: student Sheaffer, 1956

next fountain pen: Montblanc 146 circa 1990

favourite ink: Noodler's Zhivago

favourite pen: Waterman No. 12

most beautiful pen: Conway Stewart 84 red with gold veins, oh goodness gracious

Fabriano paper is really wonderful. It's an exquisite pleasure writing with fountain pens on this paper.

Here you can take a look to the Fabriano Boutique production that, I think, all of you will appreciate.

Take a look also to the store locations, maybe you are close to one of them without knowing it.

Jerry's Artarama carries these. I know that they have stores in Colorado and Arizona, but I don't know about California. They do have an online shop, and you might check there.

• 1 year later...

What a wonderful review, very informative and helpful. I'm very late to this topic however I see that

this brand of notebooks is being advertised at DeSerres(Toronto, Canada) as a new product at their stores.

I knew The Network would offer the best information.

Thanks very much again for this excellent review.

Update: I was mistaken. I visited today and found that the Fabriano notebooks available at this art supply store do not include the Bouquet collection of notebooks. Sorry.

Edited by PenguinPaper

• 3 months later...

Source for the Bouquet Notebook Set by Fabriano.

Picked up a Fabriano sketchbook, 6" x 8 1/2" approx, at a Book Store on a small Island off the coast of British Columbia. Wonderful paper, and it made me curious about other products offered by Fabriano.

Found this outlet:

Anybody have experience with this company? Jenni Bick Bookbinding carries a lot of my favorite products.

http://www.jennibick.com/sketchbooks.html