"man" Friendly Note Cards

mississippimark

Can anyone suggest a source for "Man" friendly note cards that are also FP friendly? Not much into flowers, teddy bears, etc., but also not looking for trucks and guns...just some that are simple and/or plain, but can handle FP ink.

Thanks

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has....Margaret Mead

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rogerb

• waterman1924

• mississippimark

• dcpritch

Keep an eye on Crane - at various times I've had a red sports car, silver plane, blue compass rose, brown fly (the fly-fishing kind), scales of justice, and the classic blue borders.

You can get Original Crowne Mill notecards with deckle edges. Or Amalfi.

Look at museum gift shops (brick-and-mortar) for folding notecards with works of art, photos of buildings, etc

gary

Edited by gary

Check on forgetful gentleman web site. They have note cards and notebooks as well as other items for men. Jim

Edited by jimhughes

Check on forgetful gentleman web site. They have note cards and notebooks as well as other items for men. Jim

Interesting site Jim. Haven't seen it before. Have you tried their cards?

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I use the cream coloured foldover Crane cards with a golden honeybee. My last name begins with B.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Traditionally, gentlemen use correspondence cards - heavy card stock - not fold over cards. Fold over cards are traditionally used by women - the writings of women were traditionally thought to be too emotional or too fragile to be accidentally viewed by anyone other than the addressee.

Crane makes really nice triple debossed correspondence cards in white or in ecrue with a kid finish in a 4 3/8 x 6 9/16 size - about $13 for 10 cards and 10 envelopes - sold in all stationery stores and in most better gift and card shops. These cards and envelopes can be custom engraved for a significantly higher price. http://www.crane.com/stationery/Stationery/OpenStockCorrespondenceCards/EcruwhiteTripleDebossedPanelCardsandEnvelopes?PID=CC3196&pcat=stationery

Some stationers (including Crane) have been recently selling note sheets and cards trimmed in black or gray edging as a more masculine alternative to frilly themed stationery. But black edged stationery was traditionally Mourning Stationery, used exclusively to inform the recipient of a death and by the widow/widower during the first year after the death of their spouse.

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib

David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib

Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib

Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib

Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

Thanks very much for the advice and the links. Both sites have some great ideas.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has....Margaret Mead

I like crane's cards, especially the brown edged ecru and the blue edged white. There's a variety of colors to choose from, though I agree about avoiding the black edged except for things like condolence notes.

Blog called The Art of Manliness had a deal going through a stationer that I can't remember the name of. Had themes that I would consider masculine. I will have to dig up the link later.

Edited by KrazyIvan

Blog called The Art of Manliness had a deal going through a stationer that I can't remember the name of. Had themes that I would consider masculine. I will have to dig up the link later.

Yep, was going to suggest Art of Manliness, but got beat out.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

Great question, excellent ideas. Thanks for answering one of those small but not insignificant questions I've had.

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

Glad I didn't get beat down by the PC Police. I appreciate all the great responses.

Glad I didn't get beat down by the PC Police. I appreciate all the great responses.

They're too scared to come in here... It's the smell...

MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

I make my own. Just buy your choice of a good card stock and design it. More personal, and you can do it your way. There's lots of printing programs out there. You may already have one that came with your computer....

Edited by waterman1924

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac65/officer_dread/SnailBadge.png

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac65/officer_dread/knight11.jpg

Poor Knights of Christ

As a female writer who is not into the whole "cute/kawaii" thing at all, I appreciate this thread too. I just started a new job recently, and needed some cards to let people know it might take me longer than usual to reply to their letters. Stopped in Papyrus on my lunch break, and had a devil of a time wading thru all the glittery embellished madness to find something simple and understated. Now hopefully no one will be too upset with me for sending notes that are basically "I'm writing to you, to let you know I'm not writing to you yet" :ninja:

I'd have hoped that we'd got over most of the "Real Men don't wear pink!(or whatever)" and "A Lady wouldn't dream of (say) entering a bar alone" stuff by now. Maybe not.

Do what you are comfortable with and won't offend others (whose opinions are important to you). It's only useful, IMO, to fall back on 'convention', IMO, when you are not sure of the recipient's feelings....you obviously don't wish to give offence (well, only rarely :lol: )

('Political Correctness' has more useful functions than telling us what stationery to use!)

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

Humm, to each their own. I suppose there are guys out there with more testosterone than others. As we age we loose testosterone... Do what YOU feel is right for YOU. To each their own. Besides that wasn't the topic and a politically correct lecture wasn't necessary. And by stating "I'd have hoped that we'd got over most of the "Real Men don't wear pink!(or whatever)" you are being "politically correct". I thought this post was about Manly note cards.

Edited by waterman1924

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac65/officer_dread/SnailBadge.png

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac65/officer_dread/knight11.jpg

Poor Knights of Christ