Visconti Van Gogh Midi 14K... Good Buy?

Owner of a Lonely Heart

Good or bad?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Was a Visconti Van Gogh Midi with 14K Nib a good way to spend $220?

• Yes
    • No
    • Could have been better (please specify)

Firstly, you paid extra because of the gold nib. That's a good thing ultimately. Secondly, it's a Visconti. No one gives them away. To make you feel better, I bought a MB Edgar Allan Poe for $1000: scratchy; 2 MB 149's $1600 , unremarkable and boring. Bet you feel like Einstein now. It's the price of an education, and yours was cheap. I also have a Midi V Gogh with gold nib; tough everyday workhorse. Thanks

Edited by MidnightBlue

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Owner of a Lonely Heart

• eric47

• MidnightBlue

• OTDoc

They are good pens but the price for a midi (even with a gold nib) seems a bit high. I enjoy my van goghs but have the maxi size as it is a little more balanced for my taste and the slightly larger nib is more pleasant. That being said, I think you will enjoy the Van Gogh and it will make you want to try a maxi at some point. Talk to Bryant if you have issues. He can help you and set you up with future Visconti needs. :) He is a great guy and a great resource. (Pentime is his website)

Long live the Empire!

Wow divided opinions!

Why do you even care.

How much security do you need about a pen you

don't even have in your hand yet.

You shouldn't buy anything let alone a fountain

pen if you need pats on the back about your purchase.

Why so rude? Seems like a stangely strong reaction... Hope things improve for you so you are happier. (No sarcasm intended: genuine wish for happiness.)

Long live the Empire!

Why so rude? He's merely saying: value your own judgment and opinion on what you do, before the opinion of others. . It's all opinion anyway. Thanks PS, part of the problem with type is you don't get HOW something is said, only the words, and the intention can sometimes go wry. Thanks again

Wow divided opinions!

Why do you even care.

How much security do you need about a pen you

don't even have in your hand yet.

You shouldn't buy anything let alone a fountain

pen if you need pats on the back about your purchase.

On a gentler tone, is your heart set on getting one? I think there is confusion of you looking for people's opinion about the pen, and of you looking for communal acceptance of this pen, and in effect, of you. I don't really know what you're shooting for, but I try to stake out the pen review forums. Once those have been exhausted, I will ask specific questions. I really don't need FPN's member's acceptance of how I spend my money, but I do want to know about possible drawbacks to a pen I am buying. I wish the best in your search for happiness, as only you can determine that. I don't think its a bad pen, and I really can't say about spending that much money on a pen, as I too am a student, and too spent 400 on a Visconti, using nothing but diminishing savings. Do I need it? no, but a Homo Sapiens is just SOOO COOL.... If your heart is set on the Van Gogh, buy it. No more dilydalying.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

Well I have written it through 2 fills now and it has been phenomenal! Very very pleased with it! I think I will be putting up a review here very soon.... Maybe even today!

I see that you went with a 14k nib, bit I couldn't find what size you went with. Did you end up with an EF like your Lamy or something different?

Hey all you guys out there, I just had a thought... That maybe as a starving student without a lot of money, I didn't make the right choice ordering a Visconti Van Gogh Midi with a 14K nib... Opinions? Could my money have been better spent? Or was it a good choice? My uses for it will be as follows:

- Lecture notes

- Extensive note taking outside of class

- Extensive journal usage

- Doodling etc...

If you have a pen in mind that could have been better, please don't hesitate to suggest! This is more of a "was I an idiot to do this?" kind of thread ;)

Good choice! I love mine and have had no problems at all.

Enjoy.

Please visit my new pen and ink/pen box site at www.boxesandpens.co.uk

Hand made boxes to store and display your favourite pens.

10% discount for FPN members

I have had the exact pen you have and enjoyed it very much before my interests turned to vintage pens. I found the the pen to be well made and a very nice writer. IMHO the price you paid is not as important as how much you like the pen and the way it writes ... and it sounds like you like it very much. That being the case, you got a bargain so enjoy the pen in good health. :thumbup:

Yea it has been great! For those who are wondering, I got it in a fine because I will be writing lecture notes and journalling with it, so Fine was my best bet. I cannot say I am disappointed! However I will definitely be paying the extra 10 bucks very soon here to get the all metal converter because the original is functional but rattles!