Sheaffer 1000

mbacas

I picked this pen up last year (2004) at the Atlanta pen show from Tim Pierson. Super nice guy. Don't think he has an online presense.

http://www.penpassion.com/files/sheaf1000.gif

On the pen barrel it has:

W.A. SHEAFFER PEN CO.

FORT MADISON, IOWA, U.S.A.

MADE IN U.S.A.

I think this was when I found out that the 1000 stood for a $10 price tag on this pen.

Around the cap it has "1/10 14K GOLD FILLED -- MADE IN USA".

The cap has wavey lines between straight lines. One thing interesting about this cap is that it has the little short clip. Another thing that was different when I saw it was the clip had a little bump on it and no white dot. Tim gave me a discount because of this, saying that it had the top that went to a rollerball or something. I later talked to a Sheaffer guy at the show and he told me that it could very well have been the original cap from Sheaffer and that it came that way from the factory.

http://www.penpassion.com/files/sheaf-nib.gif

http://www.penpassion.com/files/sheaf-under-nib.gif

I remember the first time I saw one of these nibs, I thought it was messed up with it's turned up snout. I believe this is called a conical or Triumph nib. It says Sheaffer's LIFETIME 14K on the nib. There is also a --79-- under Sheaffer's, not sure what this indicates. Anyone know? It's a fine point that writes on the dry side, but is always consistant. Similar to my Murex pens.

There are nice grooves around the section to allow for a good grip. I like this as opposed to a slick grip, espicially on a pen with a tapered section.

The pen is a lever filler and seems to hold an average amount of ink. The black plastic of the pen itself is in great shape and appears well made.

Overall a nice pen and one of my favorites, but perhaps a little on the fine side for my tastes.

- Mark

Hope it's okay to post vintage reviews here. If not feel free to delete or move it.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Keith with a capital K

• Maja

• Arnav

• mbacas

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a rather awesome looking pen... it's a Triumph Tuckaway 1000 which did mean this pen originally sold for $10.00 back in the 40's and a good part of that rather high price is because it has a gold filled, rather than plated cap.

There was no such thing as a roller-ball when this pen was made so it is very likely that the cap is original to the pen and a fairly uncommon one at that.

I believe that the "79" denotes an older model pen but am not quite sure on that.

Please visit http://members.shaw.ca/feynn/

Please direct repair inquiries to capitalpen@shaw.ca

There was no such thing as a roller-ball when this pen was made so it is very likely that the cap is original to the pen and a fairly uncommon one at that.

I think that the little bump on the clip that Mark mentioned in his review indicates the Sheaffer pen is a ballpoint.

I have two matching Tuckaways with metal caps--one is a fountain pen with the short Tuckaway clip, and the other is a ballpoint with the same short Tucky clip but with a small raised bump--made of the same material & colour as the clip--on the upper part of the clip.

I think the company did this to distinguish between the FP and the BP.

Without that clip bump, you could not tell which was the FP and which was the BP when both the pens were capped. Also, my BP cap fits perfectly on the FP and vice-versa.

I also have a few Sheaffer 'Fineline' ballpoint pens (early BPs) and they too have the same bumps on their clips.

Thanks for the review, Mark! I love reading reviews of vintage pens since that is my main focus. As a matter of fact, I think your review of the Sheaffer Tuckaway is only FPN's 4th vintage pen review...but I would love to see more.

Edited by Maja

Ditto with Maja's approval of vintage pens. I'd also like to see more as well.

ednerd

"I had not the time to write a short one."

-Blaise Pascal

Maja,

When this lifetime pen was made there were no ballpoints but if the bump on the clip was a feature of a later ballpoint model then we may have a late 30's or early 40's pen with a late 50's cap.

I really know very little abouit ballpoint pens so this is a helpful bit of information to know.

I still don't know what the "79" means in these Triumph nibs...

Please visit http://members.shaw.ca/feynn/

Please direct repair inquiries to capitalpen@shaw.ca