How to replace an Esterbrook Sac

Chiro75

On your side of the fence, http://www.woodbin.ca on our side, Anderson pens or Pendemonium.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Thanks for the link I will follow up with the link. It looks like it takes US funds only in Canada....weird.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• Chiro75

• Madeline

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is meant by "CAUTION! Resacing pens causes them to shrink and lighten. Dramatically!"?

Does the barrel actually shrink?

"While you are proclaiming peace with your lips, be careful to have it even more fully in your heart."

- St. Francis of Assisi

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there."

-Miles Davis

I will gladly take your unwanted Noodler's pens. Don't throw them away.

Assume no affiliation.

Show more.

Where is this from?

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

This quote is from the third picture from the bottom on the original post.

"While you are proclaiming peace with your lips, be careful to have it even more fully in your heart."

- St. Francis of Assisi

-Miles Davis

Assume no affiliation.

That was a joke. If you read the caption under that photo, and go back and look at the opening photos, you'll note he started the series with a black pen, and later photographed the process on a light colored pen. It was his humorous way of noting the inconsistency in the documentation process.

Pens don't change color from resacing. However, vintage pens that have had sacs in them for a long time can have celluloid discolor, sometimes really, really badly.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

That was a joke. If you read the caption under that photo, and go back and look at the opening photos, you'll note he started the series with a black pen, and later photographed the process on a light colored pen. It was his humorous way of noting the inconsistency in the documentation process.

Pens don't change color from resacing. However, vintage pens that have had sacs in them for a long time can have celluloid discolor, sometimes really, really badly.

Ah. Got it.

Resacing doesn't turn a black J into a cream SJ.

I knew that dried sacs could turn jade Sheaffers/Parkers brown, and a bad o-ring seal can cause Sheaffer vac fills to bulge, but I thought it would be weird for a sac to cause a pen to get smaller.

Yikes.

- St. Francis of Assisi

-Miles Davis

Assume no affiliation.

I knew that dried sacs could turn jade Sheaffers/Parkers brown, and a bad o-ring seal can cause Sheaffer vac fills to bulge, but I thought it would be weird for a sac to cause a pen to get smaller.

Heh, I wasn't trying to whack you, either. Easy to miss. As for the sacs, I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the drying of them, but the original sac materials (rubber? ) gave off gasses that discolored the celluloids. Jade was a big victim, but also a lot of the various black / cream or white (what they would refer to as "black and pearl celluloid") suffered discoloration, both in the barrel and in the cap. A lot of collectors who find vintage pens put specific (silicone?) sacs in these kind of pens to ensure no future discoloration.

Unfortunately, once the color is ruined, you can't bring it back: it has permeated the body of the pen, and isn't a surface artifact.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

• 2 weeks later...

O.k., just did my very first. This sac and old ink was so petrified I couldn't even get the nib out after multiple soakings.

So I used heat, as shown, and it required multiple applications of heat, with little bits of thumb pushes and pulls (on the rubber band wrap) until the section finally came free.

The old sac was in bits and very hard.

Something you might add, there's a semi-circular insert up against the inner wall that is not meant to come out. I was trying to chip away at it and then opened another Estie and found that it was there, intact. So that's not part of the debris and detritus meant to come out.

The most difficult part for me was slipping the new sac over the shellacked nipple. Had to use the cuticle tool to help it over and down.

N.

(P.S. a true joy saving such a lovely pen from death, or even worse dis-use.)

Edited by Noel249

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." – Mark Twain

I sincerely wish there was a bookmark function on the forum (or if there is, someone to show me where and how to use it, lol) so that I could mark this post. I know it's pinned, but even more so, I would love to be able to get to it just from within my own profile page, like after I check private messages or something. Chiro, you've done a great service for people like me! Thanks!

This is great, thank you Chiro. I've recently picked up a few Esties, and though they all seem to operate fine so far, it can't hurt to take a peek inside!

Waterman Phileas F - Parker 51 Blue Diamond Vac - Esterbrook J 9788 (Extra Flex M) - Esterbrook J 2314M (Relief M Stub) - Lamy Safari XF - Hero 616

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Noel, that piece inside is the sac tray.

Loose your trained attack search kitahs on that and see what they find. :thumbup:

Good job!

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I sincerely wish there was a bookmark function on the forum (or if there is, someone to show me where and how to use it, lol) so that I could mark this post. I know it's pinned, but even more so, I would love to be able to get to it just from within my own profile page, like after I check private messages or something. Chiro, you've done a great service for people like me! Thanks!

If you look at the top of the page you'll see a button to click that says "Watch Topic". Once you've done that you can always go back to it by looking in your profile at My Settings - Profile - Manage Watched Topics. Hard to write down like this, but pretty easy once you've done it. You also have the option to have a notification pop up whenever someone responds in a thread you are watching. Unless it is urgent, I don't enable it, but threads like this one - definite info I want to come back to - are always there in my subscribed threads.

HTH.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Harlequin there is also to review all your posts and option in your profile. You will click on your name top right and see all your posts as an option. :thumbup:

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

I copied the URL (https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=38&t=189313&qpid=2543062) and sent myself an e-mail titled "How to replace an Esterbrook sac."

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." – Mark Twain

I copied the URL (http://www.fountainp...13&qpid=2543062) and sent myself an e-mail titled "How to replace an Esterbrook sac."

Or save the page in favorites.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

(I think he meant "non-blown," as in not having a blown, bulbous shape.)

Edited by Noel249

Could be. He's describing a glass "tube" rather than a "bottle."

We actually use a former spice jar (about an inch in diameter, two-three inches high).

I've only done one re-sac so ... in my vast experience, leave the nib in, hold the nib section, dip the new sac and roll around a bit. C'est fini.

Edited by Noel249

• 3 weeks later...

After repeated attempts to get the sections out of J barrels to replace the sacs, I finally managed it today by heating the barrels with a heat gun. I strictly enjoin you not to do this with the nib unit still in the section. I did this on one J and the barrel started to curve, because of the heat contained inside by the nib closing the barrel off and causing a heat build-up. I bent it back, but this could have been a disaster.

Apparently the crossed out advice runs counter to generally accepted practice. Disregard it.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.