Home-made beet ink

iggers

I would post a photo but I've used up my upload quota with one photo, and I need to figure out how to link to a photo that is stored at another site.

No, you just need to resize your photos to a more reasonable size before uploading them. It seems that you've uploaded a full-resolution photo directly from your camera. If you'd resized it to say, 800x1000 before uploading it, it would use up about 1/10th of your quota.

To embed an image hosted elsewhere, click the little photo icon when editing your post, and just enter the URL of the image.

Nice colour by the way!

Edited by stefanv

Stefan Vorkoetter

Visit my collection of fountain pen articles at StefanV.com.

A pen from my collection:

spacer.png

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iggers

• KCat

• Lovesink

• WanderingAuthor

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks.

I would post a photo but I've used up my upload quota with one photo, and I need to figure out how to link to a photo that is stored at another site.

No, you just need to resize your photos to a more reasonable size before uploading them. It seems that you've uploaded a full-resolution photo directly from your camera. If you'd resized it to say, 800x1000 before uploading it, it would use up about 1/10th of your quota.

To embed an image hosted elsewhere, click the little photo icon when editing your post, and just enter the URL of the image.

Nice colour by the way!

I love beets and I think they're a beautiful color! Is there any conventional ink that comes close to the color of beets?

How about Noodler's Djinn of Eternal Flame AKA Devil Red? (exclusive to Swisher Pens Store, apparently)

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=84881

• 3 years later...

'I think the vinegar in the recipe is meant to retard spoilage. (?)'

The vinegar is probably there to act as a "mordant". A mordant attaches the dye molecules more strongly to the paper or fabric.

The dye in beets is the same as the one in poke berries. It will fade to a brown color rather quickly (on the order of days). Leaving the writing in a dark place will slow the process somewhat, but not enough to matter much. The brown color will begin to fade also in a matter of weeks to months. Sorry to rain on your experiment. You will get a lot more information if you search for pokeberry ink.

Edited by Paddler

Can a calculator understand a cash register?