Noodler's Burgundy

Sandy1

Please take a moment to adjust your gear to accurately depict the Gray Scale linked below.

As the patches are neutral gray, that is what you should see.

Mac

Wintel PC

Gray Scale: http://i783.photobuc...2010/INK576.jpg

- = ❖ = -

Figure 1.

Swabs & Swatch

Paper: HPJ1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Burgundy/9a6939fe.jpg

Figure 2.

NIB-ism ✑

Paper: HPJ1124.

Depicts nibs' line-width and pens' relative wetness.

Link:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Burgundy/th_e98aaa2f.jpg

Pens: L → R: Pilot, Super 21, Skyline, Carene, P99 & Relief.

WRITTEN SAMPLES - Moby Dick

Row height is 8mm.

Figure 3.

Paper: HPJ1124.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Burgundy/fee3b601.jpg

Figure 4.

Paper: Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Burgundy/f5ce347e.jpg

Figure 5.

Paper: G Lalo, Verge de France, white.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Burgundy/3041c74b.jpg

Figure 6.

Paper: Royal - 25% rag.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Burgundy/3b20933a.jpg

Figure 7.

Paper: Staples 20 lb. multi use.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Burgundy/6009eb89.jpg

Figure 8.

Grocery List

Paper: Pulp. One-a-Day calendar page.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Burgundy/fa39b6ff.jpg

OTHER STUFF ‡

Figure 9.

Smear/Dry Time

Wet Tests

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Burgundy/86549467.jpg

‡ 'Other Stuff' changed recently.

• It was thought that as coatings and glossy paper may be inconsistent, the results shown may be misleading. Consequently, the HAPPY! coated card stock and S/D Time on glossy paper were eliminated.
  • In light of recent S/D Time sampling, http://www.fountainp...everflo-orchid/ , it was apparent that the variance and range of such times was greater than previously sampled. Consequently, to represent papers whose use is widespread, the set of papers for S/D Time samples was changed.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION

Type:

• Dye-based fountain pen ink.

Daily writer?

• Not really.

A go-to ink?

• When a simple dark warm ink is desired.

USE

If using a Blue, Blue-Black, or a Brown as a daily writer ink, NBur may do well as a complementary colour.

Business:

(From the desk of Ms Blue-Black.)

• Hmm. Not exclusive to NBur, the warm Red-centric colours as a group have potential to be considered as 'shouting' or inappropriately personal. Please consider the task at hand, and be cognisant of corporate culture and its protocols.
  • For personal work product, go for it: NBur is nicely readable and performs well. If so, consider what ink to use for mark-up & editing: perhaps a Turquoise. (A bit of panache, no?)
  • Sufficiently eye-catching for mark-up & editing.
  • At medium density it has just enough zap for error correction or grading of assignments without shredding tender psyches.

Illustrations / Graphics:

(I to want to dip a big fat watercolour brush into this ink. But ... )

• The tone of NBur keeps the ink anchored to the page, so it will hold its place.
  • In the lower densities (or crosshatched / diluted) this ink can be used as a ground for cool figures; and does not need to cover a space to claim it.
  • At higher densities, NBur has sufficient substance to operate as a figure.
  • Lines are generally crisp and of even density, so NBur may well be used for uniform tight lines. e.g. labels, crosshatching.

Students:

• As for Business use, I suggest using NBur for personal work product; and mark-up, addenda, perhaps underlining.
  • There is zero water resistance, so material written with it should be safeguarded.
  • Likely unacceptable for hand written assignments.

Personal:

• By all means!
  • With NBur, the ink is 'personal', so I much prefer departing from business format papers. I prefer A5, 8x10", and even the opposite direction into A3/11x17" if carefully done.
  • Good choice for invitations to most things. (Not fire walking.)
  • Somehow, I do not like it for thank-you notes: Browns & convivial Blues get the nod.
  • Billets doux are well within scope, so to avoid mixed messages please use with care.

PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE & CHARACTERISTICS

Flow Rate:

• Just a wee bit dry.

Nib Dry-out:

• Not seen.

Start-up:

• Immediate.

Lubrication:

• More than adequate.

Nib Creep:

• Not seen.

Staining:

• Not seen after three days' contact.

Clogging:

• Not seen.

Bleed- Show-Through:

• Yes:
    • HPJ1124: Spotty, but likely could use both sides of the sheet.
    • Rhodia: As for the HPJ1124, which was unexpected.
    • Royal: Could not use both sides of the sheet from the Carene or Relief.

Feathering / Woolly Line:

• Inconsequential.

Smear/Dry Time:

• HPJ1124: 30 - 35 seconds.
  • Rhodia: 35 - 40 seconds.
  • 20lb: < 5 seconds.

Water Resistance: ☂

① on the 4S Scale:

Some inky artifacts remain as evidence of activity, but no words legible.

Recycle.

Smell:

• Whole ripe purple plums; very faint.

Hand oil sensitivity:

• Not noticed.

Clean Up:

• Thorough and prompt with plain water.

Mixing:

• Depending on the paper used, perhaps a bit of dilution to shorten S/DT.

Archival:

• Not claimed.

THE LOOK

Presence:

• Warm, cozy.
  • Interested, inviting.
  • Appetising.

Saturation:

• Moderate.

Shading:

• Not really, but not impossible either. Hit & miss then?
  • Please chime in.

Variability:

• Pen+nib combos used:
    • Less than expected.
    • Considering the range of writers used, NBur did very well indeed.

[*]Papers used:

• Less than expected.

[*]Malleability:

• Driven far more by choice of writer than choice of paper.

Hi-Res Scans:

As I do not wish to earn the sobriquet 'Regina dei Banditi di Larghezza di Banda', these are links only.

FIDELITY

Is the name appropriate?

• Fine with me.

Are swatches accurate?

• Huh?

CONTRASTING COLOURS

• At times, one can best show an ink by showing what it is not.
  • Linked below are swabs of NBur interlaced with Visconti Bordeaux [L] and Herbin Larmes de Cassis [R] in densities from three, two and one passes.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Burgundy/th_037ce7bf.jpg

PAPERS

Lovely papers:

• Crisp pure white.

Trip-wire Papers: ☠

• Those which are prone to bleed- show-through.

Tinted Papers:

• I like the look of NBur at most densities on the natural G Lalo; but for warmer more yellow colours, a higher density and wider nib giving more coverage, such as the Relief, may be appropriate.
  • The Fans of Noodler's Baystate Blue may prefer this on DayGlo orange card stock.

Pre-Printed Papers:

• Forms, etc.
    • Not really. The warm colour will detach from the Black-printed text.
    • I would use a default Blue / BlBk.

[*]For charts & graphs:

• Will provide a good contrast to the usual cool Blues, without conflicting with them; and gently expand the range of warm colours that don't start pillow fights.
    • Pairing with Whitelines would be exquisite.

Is high-end paper 'worth it'?

• Not really, but do consider S/D Times when choosing.

OTHER THAN INK

Presentation :

• Three oz bottle in a box.
  • No HazMat warnings.

Country of origin:

• USA.

Container:

• A tall 38mm square clear glass bottle, 88mm tall when capped.
  • Proportions are not conducive to stacking, and are 'tippy'.
  • Label art gives anything from JH a run for the money.
  • Ink level can be easily determined.
  • The centred round opening is 23mm ∅.
  • Single tank, no sediment collector, no filling aid. 3x Bah!
  • The screw cap has adequate grip.
  • The cap seal seems to be some sort of plastic-coated card. (>_<)
  • The cap is not child-proof.
  • Heads up! It's a *rude_word* tanker!! Kindly use a different bottle / ink well from which your pens may drink to their hearts' content. (Ink pots please Speedy! Pretty please!!)

Box:

• 41x89x41mm
  • Lightly coated card stock.
  • No swatch.
  • Ink name is stamped on top. Tsk Tsk Tsk
    • Useless when inks are stacked, or at/above eye level.
    • Work-around: Use some of the ink to colour-in some of the figures on the box.

Eco-Green:

• OK.
  • All should be recyclable / benign.

Availability:

• A plethora of online sellers.
  • Most often spotted in (independent) pen shops; yet to be seen in franchise / chain stores such as Wal-Mart.

ETC.

Majik:

• No. NBur just doesn't have the reach.

Personal Pen & Paper Pick:

• P99 on the Rhodia. The energy is about right, and the tint of the Rhodia base comes to meet the ink - unlike a bright pure white. I think the Pilot 'Lady' would be good on the HPJ1124 if the row height was reduced.

Yickity Yackity:

• I am surprised I am still on my first bottle, but it is 3 oz. I used it a lot for a while, then drifted away - lured by new(er) inks.
  • Ah kushbaby, is this to be an Under Doggie?

<-+-|⠋|-+:+-||-+:+-||-+:+=|÷|=+:+-||-+:+-||-+:+-|⠙|-+->

MATERIEL USED:

To be relevant to most Members, I make an effort to use papers, pens & nibs that are readily available. Pens are factory stock - not customised.

Pens:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/Pen_Scans/th_c6a42ffd.jpg

• Pilot 'Lady' + g-p H882 F nib.
  • Parker Super 21 Red Flighter + F nib.
  • Eversharp Skyline + micro-flex 14K nib.
  • Waterman Carene + 18K M nib.
  • Pelikan P99 + steel B nib.
  • Relief BHR + Esterbrook England 14CT nib.

• For lines & labels: Pilot 78G & Herbin Bleu Nuit.

On these papers:

• HPJ1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.
  • Rhodia.
  • G Lalo, Verge de France, white.
  • Royal, 25% cotton rag.
  • Pulp. One-a-Day Calendar page.
  • Staples 20lb. multi use.

• Scans were made on an Epson V600 scanner; factory defaults were accepted.
  • Figures shown were scanned at 150 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • HiRes Images linked were scanned at 300 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • Scans were not adjusted, so went straight to Photobouquet.

Densitometer Readings (FWIW):

HPJ1124:

• Red 146
  • Grn 79
  • Blu 121
  • Lum 99

FINE PRINT

The accuracy and relevance of this Review depends in great part upon consistency and reliability of materiél used. Ink does not require labelling/notice to indicate (changes in) formulation, non-hazardous ingredients, batch ID, date of manufacture, etc. As always, YMMV, not only from materials, methods, environment, etc., but also due to differences between the stuff in the bottle I used, and that in bottle you may have.

Also, I entrust readers to separate opinion from fact; to evaluate inferences and conclusions as to their merit; and to be amused by whatever tickles your fancy.

-30-

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• spiv

• PenTieRun

• Thornton

Hi,

This IR was instigated by this OP in the Inky Thoughts Forum.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/185404-underdog-inks/page__view__findpost__p__1870666

I had the ink, liked it while it was in my pen/s, but moved along to other inks.

Is this one an Under Doggie? An Alpha Doggie? Or ...

Bye,

S1

Yes, it's certainly an underdog. I love the color, and it has flawless performance, but it just doesn't make it into my pens. Truly a near perfect burgundy.

Superb review! Makes me want to ink up a pen with it right now.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

Superb review! Makes me want to ink up a pen with it right now.

Hi,

Thanks!

Yes indeed - when I finished the Written Samples, I wrote with all the pens until they were empty!

Bye,

S1

• 6 months later...

I get a great deal of shading using a L2K with a very wet "B"

and I am getting to like this... due to the wetness of the nib, it only works well on high-end papers.

It shows well on Clairefontaine Triomphe paper (white)

Thanks for the review, it's re-affirming.

I get a great deal of shading using a L2K with a very wet "B"

and I am getting to like this... due to the wetness of the nib, it only works well on high-end papers.

It shows well on Clairefontaine Triomphe paper (white)

Thanks for the review, it's re-affirming.

Hi,

You're welcome!

Thanks for chiming in on the pen+paper combo that generates shading. :thumbup:

I must ask about the smear / dry times that you are experiencing. Even as a 'righty' it was a quite a bit longer than I would like to see: I encountered some smearing when I used NBur for lines & labels in the Review of Bernanke Blue.

Bye,

S1

You've convinced me - I'm definitely getting some! :)

. . . as if you needed convincing! ;)

Please let us know how you like it!

Bye,

S1

Sandy - about the availability... NBur, like many members of the Noodler's genus, has a home range encompassing the American Continent and is more rare outside its native habitat. It is especially hard to obtain a *reliable* sighting in the United Kingdom.

Edited by DanielCoffey

If I use it on copy paper (feathering and heavy show through) it dries quickly

slower but not too bad on Verge de France white (cream, really)

forever on Rhodia and Clairfontaine... I'm righthanded and careful, but I've smudged this twice.

It keeps it's colour on the more absorbant papers

it dries to an ever so slightly more purple (but not by much) and is "dusty"?? "powdery"?? looking on Triomphe and my Rhodia long/thin notepad

but this is with my rather wet writing "b"

I liked it so much I used as much of the sample as I could get in my L2K & haven't tried it with any other nib.

I finally figured out WHY I like it so much - it's just a few tics darker than Tienanmen, and I love Tienanmen...

Sandy,

I find your reviews not only very educational, but extremely funny. I'm sitting here in the library giggling at some of your comments...excellent as always!!

I like it very much and use it currently. The color is what I want to see in a burgundy.

But it's not good for every pen. I have a 1.1 stub where it likes to skip when writing fast (and it doesn't do that with other inks).

Greetings,

Michael

It had become my default ink for comments on student papers until our copy service stopped printing my exams on FP-friendly paper. I still request the heavier, slicker paper, but the new guy doing the Xeroxing doesn't read the requests very carefully and we cannot justify the expense of reprinting them all over again. For me, the ink bleeds and feathers just a bit too much on the cheapest of copy papers. I may be relegated to X-feather.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Sandy - about the availability... NBur, like many members of the Noodler's genus, has a home range encompassing the American Continent and is more rare outside its native habitat. It is especially hard to obtain a *reliable* sighting in the United Kingdom.

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about NBur availability. :thumbup:

That is an aspect which is often difficult to cover-off properly in the Review.

Hopefully availability of Noodler's products from local vendors outside of North America will increase over time.

Bye,

S1

If I use it on copy paper (feathering and heavy show through) it dries quickly

slower but not too bad on Verge de France white (cream, really)

forever on Rhodia and Clairfontaine... I'm righthanded and careful, but I've smudged this twice.

It keeps it's colour on the more absorbant papers

it dries to an ever so slightly more purple (but not by much) and is "dusty"?? "powdery"?? looking on Triomphe and my Rhodia long/thin notepad

but this is with my rather wet writing "b"

I liked it so much I used as much of the sample as I could get in my L2K & haven't tried it with any other nib.

I finally figured out WHY I like it so much - it's just a few tics darker than Tienanmen, and I love Tienanmen...

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the results you are getting with a wet wide nib on the various papers! :thumbup:

Those seem to be consistent with what I experienced. As I most often use M and wider nibs, I match NBur to my drier writers, which keeps the inviting colour & tone, and gives acceptable performance on the HPJ1124 24lb copy paper.

I hadn't thought of its similarity to Noodler's Tienanmen, so thanks for that too!

Bye,

S1

Sandy,

I find your reviews not only very educational, but extremely funny. I'm sitting here in the library giggling at some of your comments...excellent as always!!

Hi,

Thanks!

Smiles are free, and I like to give 'em away!

(Giggles too!)

Bye,

S1

I like it very much and use it currently. The color is what I want to see in a burgundy.

But it's not good for every pen. I have a 1.1 stub where it likes to skip when writing fast (and it doesn't do that with other inks).

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know of your experience.

I really like the colour too, and it seems to match my mental image of 'Burgundy'.

(Wine drinkers may well have other opinions.)

Bye,

S1

It had become my default ink for comments on student papers until our copy service stopped printing my exams on FP-friendly paper. I still request the heavier, slicker paper, but the new guy doing the Xeroxing doesn't read the requests very carefully and we cannot justify the expense of reprinting them all over again. For me, the ink bleeds and feathers just a bit too much on the cheapest of copy papers. I may be relegated to X-feather.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience. :thumbup:

I thought NBur would be a good pick for marking-up and grading, so I'm glad to read that it was preferred for those purposes.

It is too bad about the switch to FP-hostile papers, but times being what they are, that's to be expected. And I doubt that we'll see a move away from such papers as things turn around - certainly for one-off use, such as exams.

I wonder if NBur's shortcomings with feathering and bleed-through can be improved by dilution. Perhaps something in the 20 - 40% range might see improvement enough to make NBur 'fit for purpose' on the lesser paper.

Bye,

S1

Hi,

A Topic depicting the effects of diluting NBur are available in CS&T next door: LINK

Bye,

S1