Sailor 1911M (Profit)

KCkc

Finally broke down and got this Sailor 1911M aka Profit.

It is listed as 1911M in a lot of US sites, including the Luxury Brands Sailor page.

But it is known as the Profit in Asia AFAIK, and the plastic wrap is labelled as Profit.

First Impressions :

It is just as well made as the bigger version of Sailor 1911. The plastic does not look cheap nor the GPT.

The one I got has Navy cap and barrel with black cap and barrel end jewels. You can only tell it is navy if you hold it under the sun, otherwise, it is very easy to mistaken it as black indoors.

I like this model better because of the conical cap jewel and lack of section/feed trim ring. But I would like the cap and barrel end jewels to be of matching color as barrel and cap.

Colors available :

Red, Yellow, Navy, Demonstrator

an Asian seller also offers it in all Dark Red and Black for a slightly higher price

Mesaurements :

5 3/8" capped as compared to 5 1/2" capped for the US 1911.

When uncapped, it is a tad shorter than the regular 1911.

Nib :

The soft 14kt Medium gold nib is just as smooth as the 21kt nib on the regular US 1911.

If you have the Sailor Maki-e in resin (except the larger size Koi model), you can interchange the 21kt nib section with this pen.

Contrary to common reference that Japanese nibs run narrower, this medium is comparable to US medium. It is 0.5 x 0.4mm (Vertical x Horizontal) in nib width.

Filler :

Cartridge/converter but the converter that came with mine leaks and I am awaiting a replacement.

Comments (4.5 out of 5):

This is a great pen for the $$ given the reliability, smoothness, and performance of Sailor brand.

It writes out of the box with no fuss.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KCkc

• KCat

• Maja

• Stompy

Top Posters In This Topic

Alas, I've been waiting 2 months for my 1911 to clear through UK customs and the itch is becoming terrible. If I don't get it by Monday, I'll have to get the seller to track the item or claim on insurance. Such a pain.

I've got a bottle fo Sailor Jentle ink, all ready to load it up with once I get it. And I'm glad to hear yet another confirmation of the quality of these pens and how they write OotB.

Thanks for the review KCkc. It's good to know stuff about particular nib widths if one is buying a pen online with no chance of trying it out first, and great reviews like yours are very helpful!

Hi Kckc,

I would wholeheartedly agree with you on this one, having had the pleasure to try one out for a week. Unfortunately, it is just a tad too small for my hands, so it didn't feel comfortable to me, to write with, and I had to return it, reluctantly.

I felt really sorry for that, because, oh, those nibs... They are really wonderful!

Thanks for the review!

Kind regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• 3 weeks later...

After reading your review, I find myself even more anxious for my local dealer to get in the next shipment! You mentioned the M nib is not as narrow as other Asian nibs are reported to be. Do you happen to know about the F nib, if it too is about the same as a Western style F nib?

I tried a sailor FINE in Magellan before. It was toothier and more like an EF to me compared to a Parker modern Duofold Int'l FINE.

I personally think the Sailor FINE is quite different in feel than its smoother wider nibs.

I have a Sailor 1911 full size in Blue with a zoom nib. Great pen! The sailor Jentle ink in Blue is a fabulous color. It goes on like a deep midnight blue, and dries to a steel blue (just a hint of grey).

The best nib width reference I've found for some fo the major brands is John Mottishaws reference. I use it when I'm comparing new nibs I want to buy, to nibs I already have.

Mottishaw nib chart

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

oh blast - i think this one just went to the top of my wish list,

Durn you, KC! :)

red or yellow... or...demo... or...

yellow... yes.. yellow.

no wait...red...

arrrrrrrggggggggg!

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Thanks for the thumbs up, KCkc. I've already planned to buy this pen (I think in yellow with the medium nib) at the end of next month (when my budget can absorb another new pen--I just ordered a Pelikan M400 -- should arrive by mid week). I really like the shape of the pen--very similar to my Namiki Impressions in size.

Brooke

oh blast - i think this one just went to the top of my wish list,

Durn you, KC! :)

red or yellow... or...demo... or...

yellow... yes.. yellow.

no wait...red...

arrrrrrrggggggggg!

I think a demonstrator would be a great choice.

My only reservation is dust collecting in the inside of the cap and barrel which will drive me crazy with my obsessive/compulsive habit of ensuring my pens are clean (section included).

Not sure about the yellow since it can be tricky color for resin.

Now KCat, you are driving me crazy as I contemplate if I should get another one and which color.

:eureka: :doh: :bonk: :meow:

Now I want one, too.

None of these colors really knock me out, though. Sometimes I do wish Sailor would get a little more inventive with their designs.

Not sure about the yellow since it can be tricky color for resin.

I didn't know this. Why is that the case?

I have tried to go for pens that are different from everything else I already have. I have a red pen - but it isn't a bright red. But no yellow, and no clear demo. So I'd probably lean toward the demo even though I'm a bit AR about stains and such, too.

of course - right now I'm dreaming anyway. But those are decent prices for a pen like that IMO.

I'm gonna call Dromgoole's before my next trip into town and see if they have them in stock - if nothing else, I'll get a closer look at the colors and fit.

I believe this has surpassed my Bexley tuck-away coveting.

KCat

Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

I did not see the yellow real life for 1911M so I cannot confirm.

Hence yellow to me is tricky. The Namiki Madarin Yellow VP is a pretty cool color but not my kind-of-yellow, still.

BTW, yellow is my favourite color so I tend to be very specific about the yellow:

-not the modern VW Beetle yellow

-closer to a Ferrari yellow

-kind of like a over-medium egg yolk from a free-range chicken brown egg-yellow

I think I am constantly comparing my first impression of a pristine solid looking Madarin Yellow Duofold RT at the LA Pen Show several years ago against all yellow pens.

Edited by KCkc

Hence yellow to me is tricky. The Namiki Madarin Yellow VP is a pretty cool color but not my kind-of-yellow, still.

I think I am constantly comparing my first impression of a pristine solid looking Madarin Yellow Duofold RT at the LA Pen Show several years ago against all yellow pens.

ahh... so it's a color preference basically.

I thought maybe there was something inherently weak about yellow plastics. Some weird dye vs. material reaction that makes yellows more difficult to cure or the color inconsistent within a sample.

I like the color of the smileys. :)

KCat

• 2 months later...