How to post pictures on FPN

Guest Denis Richard

Guest Denis Richard

Pictures to be included in FPN posts need to be uploaded to a server first (i.e. they need to be already on-line vs. on your hard drive). You can choose to upload them on your own web space location, if your Internet Service Provider gave you one, or use one of the several free services available, such as the ones listed here. Photobucket, Flickr, and Picasa are some of the more popular ones used by FPN members.

Once your picture is on-line and you know its address (URL), all you need to do is to insert it in your post by clicking the "IMG" button (picture.png). A pop-up window will request the file URL, and upon clicking "OK", the code will be inserted in your post.

Alternatively, you can do this manually by insert the picture's address between image tags :

[img=http://myserver.com/mydirectory/myfile.jpg]

Note : this does not apply to avatars, which are uploaded from your hard-drive (see under "My Controls")

Pictures can also be uploaded to FPN's server, if you have sufficient space free on your account (approximately 4.8Mb is provided). In order to do so, compose your message in the Full Editor mode and look for the "Attachments" label below the text area. Click on browse and select the image file to upload, then click "Attach This File" to upload it to your post. You then use the list of the attachments shown to select where you want them to appear in your posting.

Edited by MYU

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sansenri

• wimg

• DrCodfish

• Freddy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Denis, Roger,

FYI, and for all our FPNutters :D :

You can't post as many pictures as you want. It may seem unlimited, but the maximum currently is 25 externally linked pictures per single post.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• 1 month later...

:meow:

I've been using Photoamp.com

i tried some of the ones listed in the forum but had problems uploading to the services. Also some of the services do not have "actual" photo storage but give you an "album". you can only view the photos as an album on a webpage.

Photoamp actually tells you the URL to type in for putting your image onto forums and you can thus/also access ther pics directly. The service is very easy to use and fast and efficient. :drool:

Armchop

• 3 months later...

How do I upload more than one picture to a single post? Is that possible?

Stephen

Current Favorite Inks

Noodlers La Reine Mauve Noodlers Walnut

Hi Stephen,

You can only "upload" more than one picture at a time when you use your own hosting service. You can only attach a single file (picture) when posting. If you just link to pictures on your hosting site, you may link up to 25 pictures per message.

Attaching you do by using the Attachments option (and Browse) underneath the message box. Just remember that when you do a "Preview Post", you have to reattach the picture again afterwards, as the option loses the filename and -path info for some reason. Essentially, thsi is meant for uploading a picture from your own hard drive; this puts a copy of your picture on the FPN-site, so FPN really becomes the hosting site for your picture.

Linking you do by using the "IMG" button just above the message box. Obviously, the pictures reside on another server than the FPN one in that case, and if you ever delete them at the other site, nobody will be able to see them anymore over here either.

Alternatively, considering the size of attached picture allowed, what you could do when you want to add more than a single picture as an attachment, is to make a single, large, composite picture first. Just make sure it is no wider than about 800 pixels, so everybody can see the picture well on their screens.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• 2 months later...

I'm going to make a plea, here.

I'm on 28.8kbps dialup, and I share it with two other people. Screams of protest resound when I try to load huge pictures.

I'd never ask anyone to reduce resolution, but please, please please crop your photos.

What's that? You have no software to do that? Get thee to http://gimp.org and get a copy of the GNU Image Manipulation Program, which is nearly as full-featured as Paint Shop Pro or PhotoShop. Cropping should be one of the easier options.

• 1 month later...

Can you up load gif files as well as jpg?

Nope, I tried, only JPG.

Edited by shalley

Holly Elizabeth Owens

ChaeyAhne

www.chaeyahne.com

www.heartofthewildsanctuary.org

Enchanted Quills on ETSY

Heart of the Wild American Senior Mustang Sanctuary & Advocate

Just catching up on my lifehacker reading, and I read a post about Quick Thumbnail. You can upload a picture from your desktop PC, choose from a set of resizing options, and it generates a resized image. You can save that back to your desktop and upload to FPN.

A little clunky, but possibly easier for some than downloading GIMP and learning how to use it. (I love GIMP, by the way -- powerful and free!)

Don M.

[edited to add link to Quick Thumbnail web site]

Edited by dwmatteson

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This is a silly question but here goes.I am trying to post pics of pens for sale.I am using photoamp and attempting to follow the instructions in this thread.When I hit upload my screen continues to say uploading and nothing happens even after several minutes.Where is the "IMG" button?Please help.

Sorry, we need to rewrite this lot. It is only valid fro the old software...

In the mean time, there are 2 options, the Insert Image button, which is the second button to the right of the smiley button just above the message editing box, or the Browse/Upload option to the bottom right of the message box.

Option one, the Insert Image button, requires a url to th eimage, IOW you have to have it somewhere on a website, the second option, Browse/Upload, allows you to use an image from your own PC here, by uploading it to the FPN server.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

• 1 month later...

Once I've uploaded an image file to the FPN server, how do I control where it appears in my message?

Stephen

Current Favorite Inks

Noodlers La Reine Mauve Noodlers Walnut

• 2 weeks later...
I'm going to make a plea, here.

I'm on 28.8kbps dialup, and I share it with two other people. Screams of protest resound when I try to load huge pictures.

I'd never ask anyone to reduce resolution, but please, please please crop your photos.

What's that? You have no software to do that? Get thee to http://gimp.org and get a copy of the GNU Image Manipulation Program, which is nearly as full-featured as Paint Shop Pro or PhotoShop. Cropping should be one of the easier options.

I know this was an old post, but that reminds me of my ago-old "XAT Image Optimizer" programs for JPG, etc. It makes a huge difference in file size.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question related to viewing attached pictures, not posting them. Hopefully this will be seen, and perhaps even answered!

It seems that all the attached photos here are size reduced (many seem to be 80% of original size). This makes them viewable and better than a thumbnail, but usually a bit jaggy looking. They have text at the top that says something along the lines of 'click to view full size' . . . but when I click, instead of getting the full-size picture I get a new window with the forum homepage instead! This happens every time I try this.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!!

"Thus Ar-Pharazôn, King of the Land of the Star, grew to the mightiest tyrant

that had yet been in the world since the reign of Morgoth . . ."

— J.R.R. Tolkien, Akallabêth —

Seems like I answer a lot of my own questions...

I figured it out, the link "click to view full image" only works when the picture is attached using the FPN attachment function when posting.

The link will NOT work (open new window with home page) if the picture is hosted on another server.

Jen

Make peace with God and make peace with yourself

'cause in the end there's nobody else

---Point of Grace

Hehehe I have no idea... :lol: Hopefully one of the administrators will see this thread and shed some light...

Jen

Thank you. Can't this be fixed?

Hugh

Jen

Make peace with God and make peace with yourself

'cause in the end there's nobody else

---Point of Grace

• 1 year later...

Dear Experts;

Might you have 'tips' of the trade in photographing shinny chrome/metalic objects (like fountain pens), as not to blind someone when they look at the photo?

I'm not a professional and use a Kodak digital camera (automatic for camera challenged folks like me :roflmho: ).

And, how do you wonderful camera experts get the fountain pen clip photographs so darn clear! I tried photographing my oldies and it came out a blurr.

I am enjoying other's works very much indeed-- all professional like indeed!

Respectfully,

Maria

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Maria

• 1 month later...

Is it possible to use picasaweb to host photos that are viewable in the post? I've tried a few ways to post and received a message that says

"Sorry, dynamic pages in the tags are not allowed"

Thanks,

Len

• 2 weeks later...

error

Edited by yachtsilverswan

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib

David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib

Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib

Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib

Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib