Pilot Iroshizuku Syo-Ro

saskia_madding

I had great hopes for this ink, and it's definitely a gorgeous colour. It just wasn't quite what I was hoping for. It lays down a wet line that is a rich, teal colour, but it turns into a dusky, ashier colour once it dries, much more akin to De Atramentis' Petrol. I like it, but I think I prefer Ku-Jaku.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Pilot/DSC08201.jpg

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Pilot/DSC08198.jpg

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Pilot/DSC08200.jpg

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Pilot/DSC08202.jpg

More photos here.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• saskia_madding

• GreenVelvet

• ThirdeYe

• ObserveClosely

To me that ink looks just like Quink Blue-Black after the color changes when it sits for a few weeks. I like it.

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

I'll post a review of Tsuki-yo tomorrow, but I have to say that between those two, I'd DEFINITELY go with Tsuki-yo. I find Tsuki-yo much more vibrant, which is important to me in inks.

Edited by simonerodrigue

I'll post a review of Tsuki-yo tomorrow, but I have to say that between those two, I'd DEFINITELY go with Tsuki-yo. I find Tsuki-yo much more vibrant, which is important to me in inks.

Wow, to each his own! I have both Tsuki-Yo and Syo-Ro, and while I love them both, Syo-Ro is by far my favorite of the two... because I find it more vibrant and unique.

Colors are so subjective...

Interesting... Looks like a "tealish blue-black" of sorts. I've been waffling over this one and the Tsuki-Ro for a while, I can't make up my mind. I like it though.

I would choose Syo-Ro if I had to pick one of the two inks you mentioned. While Tsuki-Yo is a nice ink, Syo-Ro is far more unique.

To me that ink looks just like Quink Blue-Black after the color changes when it sits for a few weeks. I like it.

+1

Vibrant and unique as it may be it still reminds me of Quink Blue Black, not that I've anything against either. You just can't get Iroshizuku for love nor money on this side of the Atlantic.

Chris B.

Edited by Ipno Tizer

Your scan of Syo-Ro reminds me of how Tsuki-Yo looks from the pens I use. Is it possible for you to post a side-by-side picture?

Your scan of Syo-Ro reminds me of how Tsuki-Yo looks from the pens I use. Is it possible for you to post a side-by-side picture?

IMO, Tsuki-yo is much darker and far less green. Much closer to a blue-black than this one (based on the scan at least).

IMO, Tsuki-yo is much darker and far less green. Much closer to a blue-black than this one (based on the scan at least).

This is a good description of the differences between the two inks. I would only add that Tsuki-yo is more saturated. Paper and pen characteristics do have an influence but both perform well in my experience.

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

Interesting review. Highlights to me the fact that we each have very definite ink preferences. I LOVE Syo-Ro. It is one of my favoutite and most frequently used inks. I also love Ku-Jaku, but has a different mood to it.

I'm quite sure if you want to ditch this bottle it'll go fast on the marketplace.

Ken

I also like Syo-ro, and I just inked up my Pilot VP with it tonight. Nice color, great behavior, verrrry smooth. I like how it changes from blue when wet to bluish-green when dry. I may never buy another bottle of Syo-ro but I am enjoying this one.

Southern Belle...smitten? ...just buy a bottle..why settle for a "sample"....it's like finding a favorite champagne...and ordering a shot glass full....all the Iro inks have their uses....

Edited by SnowLeopard

Syo-ro is a very nice color. I just put it in my first year Pelikan. I love the way it changes from blue when I start writing with it to a blue-green color after drying on the paper. bhbarto mentioned this as well. A very smooth flow from the fine nib. This ink will be one that I will continue to use often.

Southern Belle...smitten? ...just buy a bottle..why settle for a "sample"....it's like finding a favorite champagne...and ordering a shot glass full....all the Iro inks have their uses....

When you put it like that... :wub:

A very kind FPNer is going to send me samples of several Iroshizuku colors so that I can test drive them before I place a foreseeably large order. That's like sampling several shot glasses full before ordering a case. :D

Edited by meghan