Best Montblanc Pen?

freshcinnamon

No price limit!!

In the market to buy a pen from each different famous pen brand :D

Which Montblanc pen do you think is the best?

thanks lots!!!!

You are you, that is tuer than true, there is no one alive that is youer than you :)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karmachanic

• Nurmister

• mizgeorge

• yachtsilverswan

The one that to you is the most beautiful, suits your hand and writing style and has the best nib when you try it out. For me its my lowly 146.

Edited by Pippin60

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

Of current new offerings - the flagship of the Montblanc company - the Meisterstuck 149 - iconic understated Teutonic design, huge ultra-smooth springy wet nib, large comfortable girth, and effortless function. Current US retail price new: $790. Gently used, near mint 149s are usually available for sale in FPN's Marketplace, for a little more than one half new retail price in a MB Boutique. Montblanc makes more expensive pens than the 149, a few of which equal (but do not exceed) the 149 in size and performance. Montblanc makes more ornate pens than the 149, a few of which equal (but do not exceed) the 149 in size and performance.. But Montblanc does not make a better pen than the 149.

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr131/yachtsilverswan/MontBlanc149group.jpg

Of past offerings - the 1999 Montblanc 75th Anniversary Limited Edition (NOT Special Edition) Meisterstuck 149 with rose gold trim and mother of pearl star - same lengendary pen with upgraded trim. Current secondary market price $2,500 - $3,000.

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr131/yachtsilverswan/f9a0_3.jpg

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr131/yachtsilverswan/A053001106-4.jpg

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr131/yachtsilverswan/lae_149_nib.jpg

I use the standard Meisterstuck 149 as my daily writer. The 75th Anniversary LE 149 is my dress pen.

Edited by yachtsilverswan

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib

David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib

Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib

Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib

Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

I like 'bling' and admit it. So that said it would be, for me at least, the two tone gold 149. Held one a couple of times and will get one someday.

146 vermeil is my daily user with a Charles Dickens a close second. ( better not mention the Edson in here! )

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Exellent post yachtsilverswan. Thank you for taking the time to comment on the pricing; very useful. I am so glad I listened to the good people, like yourself, and ensured ownership of this classic of classics.

Pavoni

No price limit!!

thanks lots!!!!

Welcome freshcinnamon. Not sure what pens you have already but your post reads as though you may be starting out! After spending many weeks studying the valuable comments of many years of buying and selling, observation, success, disappointment and advice, by the experts within this forum, I have concluded that I would dearly love to base my modest collection on a flagship/iconic pen from each of the main pen houses. I feel this would give me a fabulous, if somewhat extravagant, way of enjoying these fantastic instruments, whilst also giving me the opportunity to write with more consideration and passion.

With reference to your question, I would be surprised if, from within the Montblanc Forum, you do not conclude that the MB 149 is THE best Montblanc pen (note yachtsilverswan's and Pen Nut's comments). Which variation or era you eventually acquire will likely depend on your budget and ambition.

Pavoni.

1960-1970's mb 149 with 18c nibs as well as 1970's-early 1980's mb 146 with 18c remain my favorite.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Can't choose just one. That is why I now own several. :roflmho:

Yes I can relate to that. Was going to 'cash in' last year to buy something special but that would have left me with one pen and although it was a stunner the thought of just the one pen didnt do it for me.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Of current new offerings - the flagship of the Montblanc company - the Meisterstuck 149 - iconic understated Teutonic design...

With all respect, calling the 149 'understated' is way off the mark. It's huge.

Edited by 1000km

Best MB ?

Doesnt exist!!!

How do you define best ?

Best writer ?

Best design ?

Best nib ?

But if you would ask what is the classiest MB pen ?

The one that rules them all ?

The one that represents MB more then any other MB pen ?

Then the answer is obvious

The 149!!!

(and this is coming from a man who collects the Writers Edition :cloud9: so that must mean something!!!)

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

Of current new offerings - the flagship of the Montblanc company - the Meisterstuck 149 - iconic understated Teutonic design...

With all respect, calling the 149 'understated' is way off the mark. It's huge.

Understated compared to say

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/PENS/visconti3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/PENS/visconti4.jpg

:P

Edited by Blade Runner

:roflmho:

No price limit!!

thanks lots!!!!

Too many pens; too little writing.

No price limit? For me, it would be the vintage 139, with the long ink window. A distant, distant second would be the Hemingway, which very much resembles the 139.

No price limit!!

thanks lots!!!!

What is yours?

I'm guessing you do not know how much MB pens can sell for? I therefore think you should put a price limit on your question.

I agree with Good Guy. There is no such thing, so many great pens to choose from, and I've only seen photos of most of them and only held/used a very small percentage of what is available.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

Best MB ?

Doesnt exist!!!

How do you define best ?

Best writer ?

Best design ?

Best nib ?

But if you would ask what is the classiest MB pen ?

The one that rules them all ?

The one that represents MB more then any other MB pen ?

Then the answer is obvious

The 149!!!

(and this is coming from a man who collects the Writers Edition :cloud9: so that must mean something!!!)

Of course you are absolutely right goodguy, and given your collection who could argue! There are far too many variables for the 149 to simply be declared "the best MB pen" but exactly as you said, it certainly represents MB more than any other MB pen.

Pavoni.