Pelikan Change To Metal Logo

lookfar

I wonder... where in the world could I find just the metal button by it's own, out of a cap?

Perhaps Chartpak would provide you with one?

I like the new logo, but I still prefer the "mother and two babies" logo on my M805.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mholve

• Calabria

• FPFan

• lookfar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My M805 has the new logo, and I'm a fan. I think that the all-gold logo on the M800 looks a bit bling-bling, though ...

"We are all atheists about most of the gods humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

A little late to the game for me, but welcome to FPN! Last night I was inking a pen from my Pelikan Ink bottle and realized how much I like their old logo. The new one, well, I'm sure it'll grow on me. Thanks for the link. Honestly, I am a big fan of Pelikan ever since I bought a pen that had a bad nib. Though the pen was discontinued and on closeout (and was cheap!), Pelikan fixed it in less than a week round trip! Service like that (plus they have phenominal writing instruments) is why I love Pelikan. Now, I just need a sugar mama to pay for all the pens of theirs I want to buy...applications taken daily ;)

Andy

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pnghttp://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I personally don't like the new logo. The Souveran series is a modern classic. Why mess with it? Obviously, they think the trend is toward more bling and that this will boost sales.

At least it's not as bad or as extreme as when OMAS redesigned the Paragon line a few years ago, transforming it from a timeless classic into to a trendy, overstated monstrosity.

I have the new logo on an M700 Toledo that I got for Xmas, and it looks good; matches well with the matte finish on the clip. :wub:

An M1000 with the new logo is on the way; I'll see if I like it when it arrives.

I've got a M400 and a M800 with the new logo plus a M800 with the old one. I personally like the new one a tad better. It also doesn't strike me as too 'blingy,' rather it just blends in to the clip and makes the top of the cap look like one piece. Running my finger across the new logo, it feels physically etched into the metal as opposed to the old one that is silkscreened on. This should allow the logo to last longer. I'd say the only objective factor the old logo has over the new is contrast. The old logo had the pelikan clearly visible due to the dark material underneath. The new one is shiny gold over matte gold, necessitating a closer look to see it clearly.

• 2 weeks later...

An improvement over the silk screened one that looks awful, but I still prefer the older engraved ones by a wide margin.

i don't like this new logo, I prefer the old applied logo from pre 1998 m800 models

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I'm still undecided about the new logo, but I'm with Bladerunner: the engraved logos are my favorite.

Ryan.

• 8 months later...

I like the new metal one better, but I don't think it's worth the cost of buying a new Pelikan vs finding a used one in the classifieds. I know Pelikan has officially said they won't be doing logo exchanges, but does anyone know how the logos are affixed? Is it possible we could do a logo change on our own?

I prefer the older logo...

When you say 'older logo' do you mean the one used just prior to the new gold metal logo? I have a M400 from 2009 and I think it qualifies as the 'previous' logo. I also just got a M600 (NOS) which has an engraved logo picturing two chicks in the nest, very nice design, looks good...but is it classier than the one on my M400, or the newest version in gold?

Whether it is or not is in the eye of the beholder of course. Some people like antiques just because they are old, feelings of nostalgia. Others like them because they at least believe them to be of a better quality than modern counterparts, but I don’t think the logo itself would have much of an impact of the quality of Pelikan fountain pens. Pelikan’s logo has undergone several changes since the company adopted it, and people undoubtedly have been on both sides of the change issue since the first revision.

Me, I think the logo changes afford a rough dating system for those interested enough to research the changes. Obviously the manufacturer, those executives running the company at the times the changes took place, felt it was an improvement in appearance, if not signaling a change in direction for the company as well. Looking at the pictures of the different logos used I can see the character in those of the past, but also I see improvement in the beauty of the logo in the newer, and newest, versions. (I trust there is not a subtle environmental message in the changes, reducing the baby chicks from four to just one now! Will there be a logo with an empty nest, or perhaps an old pelican just sitting on a dock support post? Then I think I would object to a logo change!!!!)

Lou

• 1 year later...

The new metal cap finial is showy. Not a fan.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd307/billovee/FPN/M800logochanges.jpg

I still prefer this first one from the left.

WhatsApp me at +65 93682205 For Faster Reply

http://goo.gl/GAvll Classified Sales in FPN

http://stores.ebay.com/A-Pen-Hardcopy Ebay Store USA

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/A-Pen-Hardcopy Ebay Store UK

Old Sale Thread with Feedbacks From Customers.

I like the new one over the old silkscreened logo. When the silkscreened logo came out there were huge number of complaints. The problem with the new logo is that the pelikan does not contrast well with the rest of the cap top, unlike the older black and gold tops ( both the silkscreened and the older engraved logos). Where the new logo really looks well is on special editions where the cap is a color other than the traditional black. This was especially true of the white tortoise. Maybe it would be more fitting to use the new logo only on special editions and keep the old logo on the traditional black capped pens.

Mark

I actually like the new logo. I really dislike the silk-screen ones, which to me look cheap, tend to wear off, and jar on those pens that don't have a black cap. The engraved ones are fine. My favorites cap tops are the vintage-style domed ones anyway, which use engraving.

When I look at all my Pelikans, the cap tops and logos are something of a jumble. They must have tried everything over the years.