Dot Paper In Cornell Note Style

ClassicHippie

I've decided to print my own paper for the upcoming semester. I've started using dot paper and really like it, but also want to use the Cornell note taking style. I have found templates online for dot paper and Cornell paper (in lined, graph, and blank), but none incorporating the two. Anyone know where I can find one how can tell me how to make one? Thanks!

These two websites generate templates that are close, but not Cornell dot:

http://www.eleven21.com/notetaker/

http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ClassicHippie

• Pensfan

• mstone

• wallylynn

Top Posters In This Topic

That shouldn't be too hard to do in Excel or any other spreadsheet program... You can segment the paper with borders on the cells to make the Cornell note taking sections. Then for the main section, place a small dot in the center of the cells spaced out properly for the dots.

Shouldn't be too hard.

I might have to do it myself too... haha

this year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed to practice ourselves the kind of behavior we expect from other people.

~ C.S. Lewis

That shouldn't be too hard to do in Excel or any other spreadsheet program... You can segment the paper with borders on the cells to make the Cornell note taking sections. Then for the main section, place a small dot in the center of the cells spaced out properly for the dots.

Shouldn't be too hard.

Um...you sure know what you're talking about! I definitely don't :embarrassed_smile: I've been trying to make the template in Word, but it's not working out very well. I'll try your advice, but I'm not very good with Excel (despite having just taken a class in it). Should you decide to work one up, I would be incredibly grateful if you'd like to share :notworthy1:

In the mean time, I'll keep at it and see what I can come up with.

haha, here you go, try this. Let me know if you want any changes to the template. I took the one from your first link and replicated it in Excel, then added the dots.

The dots aren't perfect around the borders and it is really bothering my OCD. So I'll likely tweak it later if you like this format.

Cornell Notes w/ Dot Grid

:)

Shouldn't be too hard.

Um...you sure know what you're talking about! I definitely don't :embarrassed_smile: I've been trying to make the template in Word, but it's not working out very well. I'll try your advice, but I'm not very good with Excel (despite having just taken a class in it). Should you decide to work one up, I would be incredibly grateful if you'd like to share :notworthy1:

In the mean time, I'll keep at it and see what I can come up with.

this year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed to practice ourselves the kind of behavior we expect from other people.

~ C.S. Lewis

Gah... it doesn't look as good in Google Docs as it does in my full Excel... >.>

However if you print it from Goggle Docs it does work out alright. Once you get it tweaked to how you want, I could always send you a PDF of it.

~ C.S. Lewis

Gah... it doesn't look as good in Google Docs as it does in my full Excel... >.>

However if you print it from Goggle Docs it does work out alright. Once you get it tweaked to how you want, I could always send you a PDF of it.

Wow! Thank you so much! There are just a few changes I'd like, but overall it's great! The major one that comes to mind is that the entire paper can be dot and then just a line down the side and bottom. I don't really need anything at the top- I just write the class and date. I want to try and have as much space for actual note taking as possible. I appreciate your detail, but I think it might just be better to keep it simple for me. I don't know what spacing the dots are; I was going to try to make them the same as the Rhodia dot paper, but light grey.

The only solution I came up with was to print a sheet of dots and then run it through again and print the Cornell lines. Your solution seems to be less time consuming.

Edited by ClassicHippie

you could use the dots and draw the lines...the original cornell method involved drawing lines with a ruler, before people started making fancy paper

Here are a couple more options for you. One with the name and class on it, the other fully stripped down to lines and dots.

Cornell Notes w/ Dot Grid 2

Cornell Notes w/ Dot Grid 3

Edited by Pensfan

~ C.S. Lewis

Here's a post I made in another thread about designing your own paper.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/181803-how-you-like-your-journal-lined/page__view__findpost__p__1832941

In the meantime, I support the idea to print a grid, and draw lines until you settle on proportions you like. Cornell is a method of review. Don't get caught up in conforming to someone's predesigned paper.

Here are a couple more options for you. One with the name and class on it, the other fully stripped down to lines and dots.

Cornell Notes w/ Dot Grid 2

Cornell Notes w/ Dot Grid 3

These are perfect! Thank you sooooooo much! :thumbup:

I picked up some HP 24lb paper today along with some Arc notebooks at Staples. I'll print out the templates, fill the notebooks, and be all set for classes on Monday!