1 Orange and 26 Brown inks...

wimg

Amazing review, Wim. Not that you need to add any more to your review but I do have a few brown inks not on your list. I'd be happy to send samples to help you complete your collection of browns. Hard to imagine anyone has come closer than you have.  :)

Hi Margana,

Thanks!

I do have a bunch of KCat vials, so I am happy to exchange a few inks if you like... I think my collection is up to 155 botles now anyway :lol:. Just send me a PM, and we can arrange something...

I am pretty sure some people have more browns, though :lol:

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• lisa

• Maja

• Ann Finley

Top Posters In This Topic

27 browns in one review  :drool:. It's just too much excitement to bear -- I've gone a bit light-headed! Thanks for this incredible post, Wim.

Neil

Hi Neil,

Nah, only 26 browns, and 1 orange :lol:.

And thank you, for your kind words!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

You have so many brown inks!  But not the Pelikan brown  :)  

:angry:

Yeah, where's the Pelikan Brown??

:angry:

Just kidding!!

:lol: :lol:

Thanks so much for the ink reviews, Wim :)

Just one question for you: out of all the inks in your review, which ink in person, comes closest to the FPN Galileo Manuscript Brown?

Hi Maja,

:lol: :ltcapd: Don't have Pelikan Brown (yet :D).

Which one comes closest? The naughty answer of course is FPN Galileo Manuscript Brown :lol:. Looking at it to try and give a real answer, and the scans are actually very much lifelike on a calibrated monitor, it depends a lot on the pen and paper used.

In the lists here, with the medium italic dip nib, on my standard fountain pen friendly paper, Noodler's Red Black is a bit redder and darker, Omas Sepia is a bit darker and shades less, and Visconti Sepia is a little lighter and shades a lot less. These 3 are the ones that come closest, I would say. But none really have that nice chocolatey feel, and none shade so well, and so intrigueingly.

On FPN Notepad paper none come close; they all look very distinctly different. FPN Galileo Manuscript Brown is a litle lighter here as well, BTW.

The cream paper shows Noodler's Red Black to come closest, but the Red Black is less lush and chocolatey. Omas and Montblanc Sepia clearly have a bit more black here, and the Montblanc Sepia is duller as well.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Hi Lisa,

Thank you!

And the fountain pen friendly paper I use most is Multo colledictaat / lecture notebook / Collegeblock / bloc de cours, 80 pages, 80 grams, spiral bound with ring binder holes.

It is available from, amongst others, Bruna, at 2.95 euros if I am not mistaken...

Warm regards, Wim

Thanks for the info.

Multomap paper from Bruna that says "Multo colledictaat / lecture notebook / Collegeblock / bloc de cours, 80 pages, 80 grams" on it. Check. :D

Hi Lisa,

Thank you!

And the fountain pen friendly paper I use most is Multo colledictaat / lecture notebook / Collegeblock / bloc de cours, 80 pages, 80 grams, spiral bound with ring binder holes.

It is available from, amongst others, Bruna, at 2.95 euros if I am not mistaken...

Warm regards, Wim

Thanks for the info.

Multomap paper from Bruna that says "Multo colledictaat / lecture notebook / Collegeblock / bloc de cours, 80 pages, 80 grams" on it. Check. :D

Sorry, Lisa, typo: it says "collegedictaat" of course, not "colledictaat"... :blush:

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Thanks for the answer, Wim!

(I like the word you used to describe it--"chocolatey".... :drool: )

Hi Maja,

:lol: - that's certainly what it looks like to me. It shades from a very light milky brown chocolate, to a very nice, rich dark chocolate, depending on the pen used, of course, with this just barely noticeable rust brown fringe, at times....

Just a pity it doesn't smell of chocolate, though. I would describe the scent as a combination of latex wall paint and rum... :lol:

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Thank you so much for this comprehensive review.  It is excellent, and I enjoyed it a lot. :)

Thank you, blueiris! I am glad you did!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Sorry, Lisa, typo: it says "collegedictaat" of course, not "colledictaat"... :blush:

Warm regards, Wim

Makes more sence too. :)

Writing it down on inferior (Hema) paper now. ;)

Well, thanks for posting these scans. But just so we're clear, what is the basis for saying that several of these inks are "too dark?" I look at many of these inks and think "weak color." The darker browns are more intensely colored--which is what I like in an ink.

Obviously a darker brown is more likely to be used as a daily writing ink while the light browns are novelty items--IMO. I can't imagine writing several pages with the weak colors and then having to go back and review that much writing--which I do frequently each day.

I like this review a lot (but where are Noodler's Walnut and Noodler's Beaver?!). I like it specially because I thought I was crazy about ink and now I know I'm just normal and I have no problems at all about trying many ink colours :lol: :lol:

I started a new normal life after reading this :roflmho:

Hi pmormack,

Well, thanks for posting these scans.
It is a pleasure!
But just so we're clear, what is the basis for saying that several of these inks are "too dark?" I look at many of these inks and think "weak color." The darker browns are more intensely colored--which is what I like in an ink.
Intensely coloured and dark is not necessarily the same. Anyway, what I mean by too dark, is that in a wet writer, which this dip nib is in fountain pen terms, the colour becomes so dark, that you can´t see it is a brown anymore. That is the only criterium for this statement.

Obviously a darker brown is more likely to be used as a daily writing ink while the light browns are novelty items--IMO. I can't imagine writing several pages with the weak colors and then having to go back and review that much writing--which I do frequently each day.
Well, I do write with lighter colours during the day, and sometimes pages of it. I like to vary ink and pens, especially if I have the time to write a little more slowly than maximum note taking speed. I guess it is really what you´re used to, or what your preferences are.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Hi Jikan,

I like this review a lot (but where are Noodler's Walnut and Noodler's Beaver?!).
Thank you! Regarding the two browns you mention, unfortunately, I don´t have those (yet) :D.
I like it specially because I thought I was crazy about ink and now I know I'm just normal and I have no problems at all about trying many ink colours  :lol:  :lol:

I started a new normal life after reading this  :roflmho:

:lol:

Well, just tell everybody you know this guy who has 155 bottles of different fountain pen inks (and later today 156 :D), and actually uses them too :lol:.

Warm regards, Wim ;)

the Mad Dutchman

• 1 year later...
[*]3. Caran d'Ache Grand Canyon

Thanks for the thorough comparison review. I've never before used Caran d'Ache inks, but I am very impressed with the Grand Canyon. The ink is a really beautiful deep saturated brown, and it seems to be the most feathering resistant ink in the whole bunch. I've had feathering problems of late (Noodler's Purple Wampum and Tiananmen), so you've really piqued my interest with this ink. I need to be on the prowl for a bottle of this.

Dave

Fabulous review. I kind of like the darker browns, so this lets me know which are in that category. Very complete review.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.