Fpn Galileo Manuscript Brown

wimg

Dear Good Folks of FPN,

As promised :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: , here follows the review of FPN's own ink, FPN Galileo Manuscript Brown, in this case the low bandwidth version. A high bandwidth version is provided in another post.

In order to create this review, I had to be rather frugal with the ink, as I only had a single KCat vial available to me. This meant sharing converters between pens, if appropriate or possible. This is one of the reasons why this review took a lot of time, as many pens were used for testing this ink, and in each instance if a converter was reused, ink was still drawn in through the feed, and the pens were left for a day, sometimes two, to soak the feed fully.

A record number of pens and nibs has been used for this review, namely 39 all in all... I couldn't use more than this number, just in case you're wondering, because I finished all of the ink by that time.... biggrin.gif

As usual, the images are clickable, and provide you with an enlarged page in a separate browser window, which shows a lot more detail than the thumbnails provided in this message. Furthermore, at the end a link is provided to the complete review, all pages one after the other.

The limited amount of ink available meant that I could only do these pages once, so I do hope you forgive me all for the mistakes I made here and there. The scribbling I did with pen #11 has to do with the fact that I noticed that if I used the 52 degree Stipula nib, I could get some line thickness variation, when drawing a vertical line while changing the angle the nib made to the paper. It is supposed to do that. Unfortunately I didn't manage to do that in the writing sample here, and just didn't dare doing that again... biggrin.gif

As page 4 starts out with a bunch of dip nibs, I also scanned the backside of the page, to show the bleed-through of the ink. This is actually very impressive, as this only shows with the wettest, most difficult dip nibs.

Also, what is clearly visible, is that the colour coming through is the rusty brown, which also shows in the Galileo manuscript photograph that led to this ink. If you do look very carefully at the writing, you'll find that, occasionally, this also shows at the edges of letters here and there.

In order to show the performance on different types of papers, I have included some samples on FPN Notepad paper, and a few cream-coloured papers, where a brown ink really gets into its own. All of these are high quality papers, while the lined college block paper is of much lower quality, even though it is fountain pen friendly. The ink works well on all of these papers.

Anyway, here are the clickable thumnails:

fpngmb07-0110.jpg fpngmb07-0210.jpg

fpngmb07-0310.jpg fpngmb07-0410.jpg

fpngmb07-0410-flip.jpg fpngmb07-0510.jpg

fpngmb07-0610.jpg fpngmb07-0710.jpg

fpngmb07-0810.jpg fpngmb07-0910.jpg

fpngmb07-1010.jpg

And here is the link to the full review, all pages readable in a single browser window:

FPN Galileo Manuscript Brown, the full review

BTW, this is the first time that all 10 different large Stipula nibs have been used in a single ink review! biggrin.gif smile.gif9

The final conclusion, especially after writing not only with a lot of different pens and nibs, but also with a lot of different browns (see other topic), is that this is a very beautfiful, pleasant, easy-going ink, which exemplifies all that is great in Noodler's inks. I reckon this is, when you take everything into account, the best ink I have ever encountered so far.

Yes, some inks have better characteristics for specific details, like a slightly better lubrication, or better shading, but no other inks are consistently as good as this ink, and on top of all this, FPN Galileo Manuscript Brown is bulletproof, too! And there is no other ink I have ever encountered, that is so problemless with such a large variety of nibs. Somehow the flow seems to adapt to the actual nib/feed combination, so that it always writes well, from the driest to the wettest writers.

This is absolutely impressive, and this ink, with all its other great characteristics, can only be very highly recommended as a result!

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this as much as I did! (with the exception of rinsing and flushing all of the pens used in this review laugh.gif).

Warm regards, Wim

the maddest Dutchman of them all biggrin.gif

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• chainwhip

• BillTheEditor

• sonia_simone

<applause!> It sounds like a wonderful ink and that was a wonderful review. Thank you so much, Wim, for all the work you put into this!

I can't wait to get my bottle! (I finally broke down & put myself on the wait list for a raw ebonite to go with it. Doing little bunny dances with anticipation.)

:bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1:

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

Thanks a ton for the review and work you put into this! Wow!

Geaux Tigers! Visça el Barça!

WTB: MB Kafka, Lamy Safari 2009 Orange, Pilot MYU (Black or Clear/White Stripe), Seiko FrankenTuna SKZ253 / SKZ255

I have to say that I was uninterested in getting the FPN ink because I've never been fond of brown ink. However, this review, showing all of the different shading, has made me waver a bit. Thank you, Wim, for this extremely complete and detailed review!!

Professional librarian and yo-yo expert

Thanks so much Wim for an excellent (as always) ink review!

I hope that anyone who has been sitting on the fence re: ordering the ink goes ahead and places an order after reading your glowing review! I ordered a bottle and can hardly wait to use it. I am waiting to see how it compares in colour to one of my favourite inks, Waterman Havana Brown! :D

Bravo, wim!!!!

What a great ink! I hope this doesn't disappear from the Noodler's lineup after the first two batches.

Hi Bill,

Thank you for your kind words!

And no, it is not going to disappear anywhere, as long as we can order batches of 42 (48?) bottles at a time I think, after the first batch of 144.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Hi Sonia_simone,

<applause!>  It sounds like a wonderful ink and that was a wonderful review.  Thank you so much, Wim, for all the work you put into this!
Thank you!

I can't wait to get my bottle!  (I finally broke down & put myself on the wait list for a raw ebonite to go with it.  Doing little bunny dances with anticipation.)

:bunny1:  :bunny1:  :bunny1:  :bunny1:  :bunny1:

That sounds very nice. I know which pen will have this ink permanently as well :D... A stipual of course :lol:...

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Thanks a ton for the review and work you put into this!  Wow!

Thank you, chainwhip, and yes, it was quite a bit more work than even I anticipated :lol: :doh: :bonk:.

Ah well, it was fun, though...

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

I have to say that I was uninterested in getting the FPN ink because I've never been fond of brown ink.  However, this review, showing all of the different shading, has made me waver a bit.  Thank you, Wim, for this extremely complete and detailed review!!

Thank you YoYo, for your very kind words!

And yes, I do agree, it shades quite extremely. Apart from that, it is also an extremely good ink. :D

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Thanks so much Wim for an excellent (as always) ink review!

I hope that anyone who has been sitting on the fence re: ordering the ink goes ahead and places an order after reading your glowing review! I ordered a bottle and can hardly wait to use it. I am waiting to see how it compares in colour to one of my favourite inks, Waterman Havana Brown! :D

Hi Maja,

First of all thank you for your very kind words, as always!

I just know you are going to love this ink, because it will work well in any pen, and it just performs better than Waterman Havana, amazingly enough. And the colour is nicer too, IMO!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

• 8 months later...

Can't wait for the new order so I can finaly get my hands on some of this ink!!! I love brown inks, I've bought 5 different browns recently. BUT I can always use a new one!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

• 2 years later...
Dear Good Folks of FPN,

As promised :bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1:, here follows the review of FPN's own ink, FPN Galileo Manuscript Brown, in this case the low bandwidth version. A high bandwidth version is provided in another post.

In order to create this review, I had to be rather frugal with the ink, as I only had a single KCat vial available to me. This meant sharing converters between pens, if appropriate or possible. This is one of the reasons why this review took a lot of time, as many pens were used for testing this ink, and in each instance if a converter was reused, ink was still drawn in through the feed, and the pens were left for a day, sometimes two, to soak the feed fully.

A record number of pens and nibs has been used for this review, namely 39 all in all... I couldn't use more than this number, just in case you're wondering, because I finished all of the ink by that time.... :D

As usual, the images are clickable, and provide you with an enlarged page in a separate browser window, which shows a lot more detail than the thumbnails provided in this message. Furthermore, at the end a link is provided to the complete review, all pages one after the other.

The limited amount of ink available meant that I could only do these pages once, so I do hope you forgive me all for the mistakes I made here and there. The scribbling I did with pen #11 has to do with the fact that I noticed that if I used the 52 degree Stipula nib, I could get some line thickness variation, when drawing a vertical line while changing the angle the nib made to the paper. It is supposed to do that. Unfortunately I didn't manage to do that in the writing sample here, and just didn't dare doing that again... :D

As page 4 starts out with a bunch of dip nibs, I also scanned the backside of the page, to show the bleed-through of the ink. This is actually very impressive, as this only shows with the wettest, most difficult dip nibs.

Also, what is clearly visible, is that the colour coming through is the rusty brown, which also shows in the Galileo manuscript photograph that led to this ink. If you do look very carefully at the writing, you'll find that, occasionally, this also shows at the edges of letters here and there.

In order to show the performance on different types of papers, I have included some samples on FPN Notepad paper, and a few cream-coloured papers, where a brown ink really gets into its own. All of these are high quality papers, while the lined college block paper is of much lower quality, even though it is fountain pen friendly. The ink works well on all of these papers.

Anyway, here are the clickable thumnails:

fpngmb07-0110.jpg fpngmb07-0210.jpg

fpngmb07-0310.jpg fpngmb07-0410.jpg

fpngmb07-0410-flip.jpg fpngmb07-0510.jpg

fpngmb07-0610.jpg fpngmb07-0710.jpg

fpngmb07-0810.jpg fpngmb07-0910.jpg

fpngmb07-1010.jpg

And here is the link to the full review, all pages readable in a single browser window:

FPN Galileo Manuscript Brown, the full review

BTW, this is the first time that all 10 different large Stipula nibs have been used in a single ink review! :D :)9

The final conclusion, especially after writing not only with a lot of different pens and nibs, but also with a lot of different browns (see other topic), is that this is a very beautfiful, pleasant, easy-going ink, which exemplifies all that is great in Noodler's inks. I reckon this is, when you take everything into account, the best ink I have ever encountered so far.

Yes, some inks have better characteristics for specific details, like a slightly better lubrication, or better shading, but no other inks are consistently as good as this ink, and on top of all this, FPN Galileo Manuscript Brown is bulletproof, too! And there is no other ink I have ever encountered, that is so problemless with such a large variety of nibs. Somehow the flow seems to adapt to the actual nib/feed combination, so that it always writes well, from the driest to the wettest writers.

This is absolutely impressive, and this ink, with all its other great characteristics, can only be very highly recommended as a result!

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this as much as I did! (with the exception of rinsing and flushing all of the pens used in this review :lol:).

Warm regards, Wim

the maddest Dutchman of them all :D

Feeling a little silly to ask....I'm eager to try this ink, I love the browns....but also concerned about bulletproof inks. I had a sample of Noodler's Kiowa Pecan (nearly bulletproof) and inked my Sailor Brown Mosaic Saibi Togi nib with it, and it was unbelievably scratchy and uneven in its flow. The nib is very fine but I had naot had this problem before with other samples and inks I'd used with it. I really liked the color.

If FPM Galileo Manuscript Brown is fully bulletproof, would it be even less good to put into my nearly most expensive pen? Does anyone have instances of bad behavior with it? Should one flush it like really frequently? :blink:

Nakaya Piccolo Heki Tamenuri 14K XF

Nakaya Ascending Dragon Heki 14K XXF

Sailor Brown Mosaic 21K Saibi Togi XXF

Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF

Pilot Namiki Sterling Silver Crane FP

Bexley Dragon XXF

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg