Auction In Honor/memory Of Dennis Bowden

Doug1426

With the death of Dennis Bowden in December, FPN lost one of our members that have made FPN such a wonderful community. Many FPN members posted in the Chatter Forum to reflect on Dennis’s death. Chatter Anyone who ever purchased a pen from Dennis or had any contact with him knows what a knowledgeable, helpful , gracious and generous person he was.

While much could be said about Dennis and what he contributed to society as a whole, I think it would be a fitting tribute to Dennis for us as individuals within the FPN community to offer pens at auction with the proceeds to go to the American Cancer Society (American Cancer Society)) in remembrance of Dennis Bowden’s contributions to us over the years. The American Cancer Society was mentioned in Dennis’ online obituary, which also includes a link to the American Cancer Society webpage. Dennis Bowden Obituary

To start what I hope will be many other auctions, I am listing a mint Conway Stewart Westminster. I hope that other members who knew Dennis will join in and auction a pen (or 2 or 3). It would be great to have several auctions going at a time, perhaps 4 or 5, maybe with a 5 day or so time on each. No pen is too small in value (or too large) for this. The rules for the auction are posted in this Charitable Auctions Forum (see the “Welcome” posting). Or for any questions, contact the Forum moderator. I've never done one of these before, so I hope I'm doing it correctly. To bid, send me a bid at my email Email me. I will post the leading bid periodically. Whatever the winning bid is,I will send the total amount to the KC American Cancer Society (in other words, I 'll cover all postage and PayPal fees). Winning bidder will also get a copy of receipt from the Cancer Society, and a copy to the FPN moderator.

So here goes:

I bought this Westminster when it was released in 2007 in the original green, in an edition of just 100 pens. This is pen # 32 of 100 in an edition that has long been sold out. This was going to be my “retirement pen” but I think this is a much better use of it. It has been boxed since I bought it-never inked nor dipped. It has an 18K fine nib, and the multitude of CS boxes and paper.

The list price of the "Westminster" was a little north of $2000 in 2007. Not that I’m suggesting that as a starting price, by any means, but it would be nice for this to sell at a decent price. Here are a few pictures. If you would like to see more pictures, you can request them via email Email me. Auction starts now and will end Saturday, January 15 at 10 PM Eastern Standard Time.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4083/5028345888_06097f0534.jpg

IMG_2919 by dougb1808, on Flickr

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/5028341792_4518926cbc.jpg

IMG_2895 by dougb1808, on Flickr

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4147/5027720995_f3cae91d35.jpg

IMG_2899 by dougb1808, on Flickr

"History Teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." Abba Eban

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Doug1426

• jhymes

• jaymac

• jgrasty

Bid before reading the rules. Am withdrawing bid as I cannot support "secret bid" auctions. If the Administraton's goal was to ensure auctions would be "fair and above board" the bidding would be public.

Edited by YesIamnotiamnit

He who says he knows but does not act does not yet know.
~ Wang Yangming

When I grow up I want to be just like Calvin.

~ Me

Bid before reading the rules. Am withdrawing bid as I cannot support "secret bid" auctions. If the Administraton's goal was to ensure auctions would be "fair and above board" the bidding would be public.

Sorry, I'm trying to figure out the rules....I would prefer it to be public, but I thought the rules said I couldn't carry it out here. I've been trying to get an answer from the mods, and will repost as soon as I find out what to do. Please be patient.

Thanks,

Doug

"History Teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." Abba Eban

I have to agree. I withdraw my bid until a way can be found to make the bidding public.

I totally understand the concern about bidding being private, not what I want at all, but seemed like the only way to do it. So I have an idea, I hope is okay under the rules. I will post all the bids I receive, along with the FPN member's board name. I'll try to post bids within an hour of receipt, but at least 4 times a day. I'm hoping that complies with the rules, but also makes it public. Here are the bid(s) to date, excluding the couple withdrawn:

January 9th at 9:54 PM: $500 by Ghost Plane

January 11th at 12:27 PM: $600 by Nichodemus

January 11th at 5:01 PM: $750 by YesIamnotiamnit

Edited by Doug1426

I totally understand the concern about bidding being private, not what I want at all, but seemed like the only way to do it. So I have an idea, I hope is okay under the rules. I will post all the bids I receive, along with the FPN member's board name. I'll try to post bids within an hour of receipt, but at least 4 times a day. I'm hoping that complies with the rules, but also makes it public. Here are the bid(s) to date, excluding the couple withdrawn:

A good compromise, I think.

Tasty pen and it's for a good cause, the memory of a lovely human being, dig in boys and girls.

And my deepest respect to Doug for setting this up, and donating such a gorgeous pen to it.

Best regards

-Nichodemus

I'll bid $1,200.

Here is a summary of bids as of 8 AM EST January 14, 2011

January 14th at 11:02 PM $1,200 by JAYMAC

I'll bid $1300

Following are the bids as of 7 PM EST January 15th

January 14th at 11:02 PM $1,200 by JAYMAC

January 15th at 3:52 PM $1300 byJHYMES

January 15th at 6:36 PM $1,400 by JAYMAC

Edited by Doug1426

Thanks to everyone who bid on this pen. It is a wonderful tribute that all of you bid as you did. Based on the bids and times, it looks as though JAYMAC is the winning bidder. I'll send you an email and PM. And will be sending $1500 to the American Cancer Society in memory of Dennis from FPN.

Doug Bensinger