• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• liverman

• saskia_madding

• stacybean

• watch_art

search with fpn search:

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=016372583718073050395:1rsitsemrpo

there have been pelikan nibs in these and you can buy levenger truewriter nib units (stubs and broads) for quite a substantial price...

• 2 weeks later...

Just a clarification regarding TWSBI's using Bock nibs .... I was very excited when I read this on FPN and have been waiting for these "new" TWSBI's but a little more investigation reveals that the Bock nib TWSBI 530's will be in the $280 price range and only 300 units will be produced. So this is more of a special run for collectors and not really for the users who are looking for a cheap workhorse.

See link here:

http://twsbi.posterous.com/twsbi-diamond-530-with-gold-nib

If thats accurate it negates the intrinsic value advantage that has made TWSBI so popular.

In the $280 price range there are other brands (Japanese and Italian) that have cachet and nib selection that you can buy.

Just a clarification regarding TWSBI's using Bock nibs .... I was very excited when I read this on FPN and have been waiting for these "new" TWSBI's but a little more investigation reveals that the Bock nib TWSBI 530's will be in the $280 price range and only 300 units will be produced. So this is more of a special run for collectors and not really for the users who are looking for a cheap workhorse.

See link here:

http://twsbi.posterous.com/twsbi-diamond-530-with-gold-nib

If thats accurate it negates the intrinsic value advantage that has made TWSBI so popular.

In the $280 price range there are other brands (Japanese and Italian) that have cachet and nib selection that you can buy.

Actually that was pertaining to the gold TWSBI idea that Speedy had, he was considering a limited edition run using gold nibs and gold plated trim. The response was rather negative, because of the same reasons you mentioned.

The new TWSBIs should be running on Bock steel nibs, once the production works out for Speedy. Last I heard (which was a few months ago when I got mine), it was the feed work, and the nib packaging design that were holding up its entry.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/CxTPB/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg Member since Sept 7, 2010

TWSBI Diamond 530 - Private Reserve Avocado

Black Kaweco Sport M Nib - Diamine Oxblood

Wing Sung #233 - Noodler's Lexington Gray

I know that speedy is working on making alternate nibs available for the TWSBI. But I was eager to play around with fitting nibs from other sources into the TWSBI. The TWSBI has a 5 mm feed. Since I am a fan of big nibs, all my pens have larger nibs that fit on 6mm feeds (or larger). I do have some M200 and M400 Pelikans, but I am not interested in cannibalizing any of those just yet.

So I did some searching on the web.

I ordered a selection of nibs from a couple of these sources and will try them out in my TWSBI to see how the fit and how they write. My chief concern is mating the nib to the feed - the gap between the nib and feed should be very small and uniform. This means that the shape of the curvature of the feed and nib should match.

When these arrive, I'll plug 'em into my TWSBI and give 'em a test drive.

Greg

Edited by liverman

The more I know about computers, the more I like my pens.

Colorado Pen Show

5-7 October 2018

Denver, Colorado

I know that speedy is working on making alternate nibs available for the TWSBI. But I was eager to play around with fitting nibs from other sources into the TWSBI. The TWSBI has a 5 mm feed. Since I am a fan of big nibs, all my pens have larger nibs that fit on 6mm feeds (or larger). I do have some M200 and M400 Pelikans, but I am not interested in cannibalizing any of those just yet.

So I did some searching on the web.

I ordered a selection of nibs from a couple of these sources and will try them out in my TWSBI to see how the fit and how they write. My chief concern is mating the nib to the feed - the gap between the nib and feed should be very small and uniform. This means that the shape of the curvature of the feed and nib should match.

When these arrive, I'll plug 'em into my TWSBI and give 'em a test drive.

Greg

Will be very interested to see how these work out!

I think your best nibs will come from Meisternibs, as I think he's the only one using JoWo nibs. The others use more inexpensive iridium tipped nibs. Maybe not the worst, but the 4 that I bought from exotic blanks needed some work to get working at all. Two skipped and stuttered horribly, and the other two were pretty good. I turned one into a stub and gave it away, and the others I hacked up pretty badly playing around with them. It's so much fun!

It's so much fun!

Yup. The cost of the nibs goes against my "entertainment" budget and not my "pen collecting" budget :)

Greg

The more I know about computers, the more I like my pens.

Colorado Pen Show

5-7 October 2018

Denver, Colorado

- I ordered the 14k stub nib from the golden nib. I'll report back once I have it installed and tested.

fjf. thank you for the tip!

I think Speedy is thinking about semi-flex nibs...well I did put the bug in his ear...and Bock can make semi-flex nibs if ordered. I have some old semi-flex Bock nibs.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

You are welcome :thumbup:

Is the new nib still performing flawlessly, or have you since made any corrections/adjustments?

Enough of this chocolaty goodness, we've got work to do.