Daily Rounds

kathleen

My latest batch-o-Shiny. Dubonnet Red J, 2668 nib.

RedEstieJune14a.jpg

RedEstieJune14b.jpg

RedEstieJune14c.jpg

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kathleen

• OcalaFlGuy

• Gobblecup

• pen2paper

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice. It looks brand new.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Thanks Paul.

I've said before, the nicer a pen is Before you restore it, the nicer it'll be After you finish and this one is testimony to that.

It's new owner and I really lucked out. I'd say this one was an 8 when it came to me. That helps A LOT. Even it's 2668 appears to be either NOS

or nearly so. I just inked it up for it's few days test write out and it sure is writing nicely.

And it's got some nice Streaker action going on too...

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

• 2 months later...

I just wrapped this one up a couple days ago, I'm test writing it now. It's gonna make Someone pretty happy I think.

Sorry for the Picasa album link, silly FPN won't let you imbed pics with an iPud. :(

https://picasaweb.google.com/connieldr/EstiebrookBlueBabyStreaker?authkey=Gv1sRgCIGsudqkrKHdMg#6059100146287654994

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

• 1 year later...

We need to resurrect this thread.

I don't usually work on pens for others, and I really don't usually take before and after pics. But I did both this time.

This pen belonged to the Grandfather of a good friend of mine. It had a Broad 2xxx nib in it but one tine was broken completely off. There were some divots in the cap jewel, I think from Granddad tapping the pen on a desk and the clip was bent bad. I'd already fixed it about 1/3 of the way Before I took the Before pic here. I polished the divots out of the jewel and fixed the clip. Resacced with a new one from the Anderson's. Put a new 9556 in it. It looks ready to me for another 65 years.

Before

aJoel1-001.jpg

After

aJoelb1-001.jpg

Before After

aJoel%2525202-002.jpg aJoelb2-001.jpg

Before

aJoel3-001.jpg

After

aJoelb3-001.jpg

Before

aJoel4-001.jpg

After

aJoelb4-001.jpg

I am working on a Blue Streaker J now that you all aren't going to believe. It is something else.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

We need to resurrect this thread.

I don't usually work on pens for others, and I really don't usually take before and after pics. But I did both this time.

This pen belonged to the Grandfather of a good friend of mine. It had a Broad 2xxx nib in it but one tine was broken completely off. There were some divots in the cap jewel, I think from Granddad tapping the pen on a desk and the clip was bent bad. I'd already fixed it about 1/3 of the way Before I took the Before pic here. I polished the divots out of the jewel and fixed the clip. Resacced with a new one from the Anderson's. Put a new 9556 in it. It looks ready to me for another 65 years.

Before

aJoel1-001.jpg

After

aJoelb1-001.jpg

Before After

aJoel%2525202-002.jpg aJoelb2-001.jpg

Before

aJoel3-001.jpg

After

aJoelb3-001.jpg

Before

aJoel4-001.jpg

After

aJoelb4-001.jpg

I am working on a Blue Streaker J now that you all aren't going to believe. It is something else.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Please tell me the pen didn't shrink and that this has to do with the camera. :lol:

It must be the camera, but it left me wondering.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

LOL. No it didn't shrink.

It's just that the shots were taken days apart in natural light and from slightly different angles within my "light box". Also with slightly different cropping. I tried to replicate the same Before angles in the After shots though.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I give you, Blue Streaker Emeritus...

This is as Streaky as I have ever seen, well into the 9's on the Streak Meter.

It'll go to some new owner with a NOS 9461 And what looks to be a very nice shape 2314 Broad Stub (assuming I don't have any issues with the nib).

BSEa.jpg

BSEb.jpg

BSEc.jpg

BSE4.jpg

BSEWS5-001.jpg

BSEWS6-001.jpg

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

Please tell me the pen didn't shrink and that this has to do with the camera. :lol:

It must be the camera, but it left me wondering.

I'm assuming that you straightened out the clip but then again it could be a new clip that you installed which is pretty heavy stuff. Nice job.

Yes, the clip was straightened. Per the pinned method in Estieville. I use the wooden slat coffee stirrers.

Honestly, I would have substituted another Black cap before I would have replaced a clip. The factory really didn't intend they be replaced.

A PS; on the Blue Streaker Emeritus pics. They suck and they are making me crazy. I think there was a smudge on the lens. I'll try and reshoot all except the exploded view tomorrow. Sorry bout that.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

Yes, the clip was straightened. Per the pinned method in Estieville. I use the wooden slat coffee stirrers.

Honestly, I would have substituted another Black cap before I would have replaced a clip. The factory really didn't intend they be replaced.

A PS; on the Blue Streaker Emeritus pics. They suck and they are making me crazy. I think there was a smudge on the lens. I'll try and reshoot all except the exploded view tomorrow. Sorry bout that.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

The Blue Streaker pen pics are beautiful. That's a nice demonstration of what is meant by a "streaker."

Photos look pretty good to me. Yeah - it would be risky to try to replace the clip (for me any way). Thanks for the tip about the coffee stirrers. Not sure of the technique used with them but I imagine it would be to put some under the clip and use a steam-roller (I'm kidding) to straighten it out. I have a tendency to bang on things a bit prematurely. A lack of patience I guess and fixing these pens does require patience and a bank account.

Thanks for the tip about the coffee stirrers. Not sure of the technique used with them but I imagine it would be to put some under the clip and use a steam-roller (I'm kidding) to straighten it out. I have a tendency to bang on things a bit prematurely. A lack of patience I guess and fixing these pens does require patience and a bank account.

Two things that I always have to work on;

If things aren't going quite like I'd like, put it down for a few hours and come back to it.

Don't try for better than Definitely Good Enough. You're likely to end up worse than you were.

As I Mentioned, the technique is in a Pinned Topic in Estieville for All To Use.

A couple differences with me. The OP doesn't mention it, but since you are Heavily stressing the clip attachment making the correcting bend, with the other hand/fingers, I clamp down on the circular part of the clip And that end of the pen to lesson the stress making it To the clip grommet. [EDIT] IMO, this lessons

the chance that stress may turn the clip into a spinner that Wasn't a spinner Before you started bending.

The OP uses a key to bend against. I can more accurate gauge the thickness of my bender againster with the thinner wood slats and they won't scratch the clip or the pen.

Basically, the slats/key are the bender againsters that you keep right at the bend and push the clip lightly against until it is as close to the original position as possible (see my first paragraph above).

Especially with a [_] piece like the clip, you need to go slow, baby steps on the correcting bend. If that channel is really deformed it's almost impossible to get back to perfect (see my first paragraph above). [EDIT] If you look hard in the Black J pics, you Can still see Where the original bend Was, IMO, it's about 98-99% gone. IMO, That's "Definitely Good Enough". You wouldn't have noticed it in everyday use if I hadn't had mentioned it.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

I reshot 3 of the 4 original pics, edited them into the original post and added some writing samples from the Blue Streaker Emeritus. The lens Was smudged on the first shoot.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy