Daily Rounds

kathleen

I also am anxious to see the 'barrette' pressure bar before it goes into the pen. I think that there are some 'plain jane' barettes that have no frills and might have a good plating that would ward off any rust. Many old anonymous pens I have repaired originally used just a single piece of brass plated steel bent into a J shape. Some have a raised ridge to make better contact with the lever but some are smooth.

I would like to know the history of the replacement two piece J bar and the difference in cost to make it with crimped ridges vs. the simple 'puncture/press' method of the older Esterbrook J bars. I am glad we have replacement sacs and J bars available but maybe a better J bar would be nice. Modifying cheap barrettes might just put some replacement parts dealers out of business but if a better J bar (without having to be modified) was available I would still purchase it.

-William-

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kathleen

• OcalaFlGuy

• Gobblecup

• pen2paper

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm new to esties, I have 2 J's in the post on their way to me now. They have been restored so I won't need to perform surgery just yet. For future reference does anyone sell J bars that don't require modification in some way? I beleive the ones that Woodbin (Martin) sells require filing. Secondly what tools are required for J bar replacement, are alligator forceps suffice and perhaps a dremel for the J bar? I've recently started restoring my own Sheaffer PFM's and Parker 51 Vacs so I can't wait to take an estie apart!

I'm new to esties, I have 2 J's in the post on their way to me now. They have been restored so I won't need to perform surgery just yet. For future reference does anyone sell J bars that don't require modification in some way? I beleive the ones that Woodbin (Martin) sells require filing. Secondly what tools are required for J bar replacement, are alligator forceps suffice and perhaps a dremel for the J bar? I've recently started restoring my own Sheaffer PFM's and Parker 51 Vacs so I can't wait to take an estie apart!

My forceps are the indispensable tool for pulling J bars out, when placing J bars in the barrel it helps to have a wooden stick to push them in, I use a skewer that you would stack meat and veggies on for the barbeque, I think Steven suggests a chopstick and Bruce uses a coffee stirrer. There's not much to it. For me filing away the flanges on a replacement j bar is the most time consuming part of the operation.

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

Kathleen,

We are all waiting with excitement to see the results of this last patient's recent surgery, what colour do you plan on inking this little guy with?

I would love to see more of these patients and their recovery process as well! :thumbup::clap1:

Jeffery,

AKA Nikko the less than evil flying money!

Gobblecup ~

Kathleen,

We are all waiting with excitement to see the results of this last patient's recent surgery, what colour do you plan on inking this little guy with?

I would love to see more of these patients and their recovery process as well! :thumbup::clap1:

Jeffery,

AKA Nikko the less than evil flying money!

That's the little green SJ put back together with a j bar made from my daughter's hair barrette. She is inked with Diamine Sherwood Green.

I also gave some TLC to a Sheaffer Fineline that was keeping company with an Estie in an ebay auction, same listing, an odd assortment of lever fill pens. I figured its insides would not be too different and I was correct. It also required a #16 sac. Visiting the Sheaffer forum, very reluctantly leaving Estieland briefly, I found out this Shaeffer Fineline was manufacturered 1947-53. I think the Esties are so much prettier than many of their contemporaries. I feel a little sorry for this Sheaffer. It does have an interchangeable nib. I think it looks like a big blue torpedo or a pen Papa Smurf would use. I plan on giving it to my son to use. It seemed to accomodate a longer sac, (I usually have to cut sacs by 1" or so for Esties. I figure longer sac, bigger ink supply, that could be important to a student.Two days = two pens restored. I love this hobby!

post-44035-0-14491800-1293494615.jpg

Edited by kathleen

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to correct double post. Just meant to edit.

Edited by kathleen

They look great, now I feel obligated for some pictures of my repairs... :mellow:...:lol:

I did have a good day of repairs myself! I have had a naughty little Green Transitional (3rd variation) that had been my first challenge in Estie patient. I think you may remember my broken section, my first and hopefully last. Well long story short I tried to mend it together but I came a part and leaked ink, so I knew I just needed a new section. And one finally came through in a donor, who I have not written off, but have backlogged for parts.

The end result? A fully working Green Transitional J with a NOS 9668, inked and writing now!

Procedure log:

- Section Cleaning and sanding

- Ink Sac Shellac attachment

- Talc Dusting and quality control check

- Reassembly and first inking

It was fun and a big relief to get this long staying patient out of my clinic and into my pen hotel! :cloud9:

Gobblecup ~

Jeffery, I would love to see a picture of your Green Transitional writing with that favorite nib of mine #9668, now that's a pen meant to please! I am so glad a donor section became available. You are right to be ecstatic over the release from your clinic!

It is so satisfying to return a beautiful Esterbrook pen to its purpose. Now what will your next patient be?

I have a black J, two blue J's, a dove gray pastel, a red SJ and a green J still ailing and awaiting care. Next to receive my attention may be one of the blue Js needing a new J bar. I have some on hand that need modified, I'll be getting out the Dremel!

Edited by kathleen

Here's the info Andy posted back in 2000 about making J Bars from barrettes ...... Sam

Make your own "J" bars

10/18/2000: Andrew J. Gnoza, III

Take a J- bar with you and go to a beauty supply store and look at the ladies hair barrettes. The metal back clips can be removed and cut and made into 2 pressure bars! They even have a groove in them for the lever to ride in ! I get 8 bars from a 4 pack for a $1.59. GOODY Barrettes made by Goody Products, Kearny NJ 07032..Product # 6665 with a UPC #41457-10651

Jeffery, that Trans is gorgeous and the Noodler's Cayenne is obviously flowing beautifully, you have wonderful penmanship. Your coming patient looks sorely neglected, perhaps battered, but nothing some TLC in your clinic can't cure. The blues are brilliant and so beautiful when shined up.One of my blue Esties is always inked with the FPN exclusive ink Van Gogh Starry Night. The pen and ink are a great match.

No more broken sections! Jeffery, remember patience with the patient! I think achieving separation of the section and barrel is the most critical moment in all Estie operations.

Good price on that blue J (by the way, the seller is mistaken calling it a Dollar pen, the Dollar is an earlier Esterbrook made in the 1930's before the Transitionals. What you are getting is a double jeweled Esterbrook J series.) Good luck on your next restoration.

Edited by kathleen

The Blue J I bought seems to be in pretty bad shape. Probably the worst I've seen cosmetically, but the Jewels look good, and the clip and lever do too. The nib has hope too, as the glob at the tip seems nice from the picture, being a 9xxx series it may only need a good clean up! So like you say:"nothing some TLC in your [my] clinic can't cure." :vbg:

I always find it funny when a seller doesn't do enough market research to find esterbrook.net, and figure out the difference between Js, Transies, and Dollars... But at least I got the know how. Thanks for giving me a heads up just in case I didn't! :thumbup:

I particularly wanted this Estie, even given its condition because I think the pattern is going to look beautiful when its shinned up! You can never have enough Esties, even in the same colour, for they all have their own flavour. :happyberet:

And yes, your advice has saved me many times since my sad disaster. I have been using the hairdryer technique along lots of patience, and I have been though another 10-12 Esties since. Every one gives me a little more experience and makes the operation smoother. I am also very thankful for the help from you and the whole Esite gang here!

The one thing I am going to need to get all my patients up to full health is a micromesh kit (no I don't have one yet :glare:) and some good polish. But I am up for another shipment of sacs soon and that will have to include shining supplies.

I will keep up to date with my patients, hopefully everyone her does too! B)

Edited by Gobblecup

Gobblecup ~

The Woodbin J bars are the same pressure bars that I have seen from 3 other dealers, so I think they are standard. I modified my first one recently and it's pretty simple to cut off the edge. I used some heavy duty wire cutters, but I think almost any type of cutting tool will work. You don't necessarily need a Dremel.

For the J bar replacement, I use simple tweezers to position it in the barrel. I don't think forceps are necessary, but if you have them I assume it would make it easier.

Bill

Edited by wpb

Kathleen and Jeffrey, thanks for the great articles and pictures. Very nice to see your writing here. You both have a great talent for writing. I know I take more care when I am writing with a fountain pen since the whole experience is so different from anything else. Good job on the repairs and keep posting pictures. I never get tired of seeing Esties in the operating room or after their recovery period. I have some that need sacs and they just came in the mail today.

-William-

William, Thanks for the complimentary words. It is fun to share this hobby with others who appreciate what it's like to take a pen that's 60+ years old and no longer functioning properly and restore it to its beautiful original condition and purpose. More than anything else I love the way my Esterbrook pens perform. They are a simple, beautifully engineered writing instrument.

I hope you will post on your progress with patients that come to you.

• 2 weeks later...

My silver Parker Sonnet Ciselle has been resting at an out-of-town fountain pen clinic – Fahrney's in Maryland. Cissy started choking and sputtering months ago. She had a couple of transfusions and we thought she'd be fine after that. But nothing we could do locally seemed to work. Early in December Cissy could hardly get out a whisper – not even a complete sentence. Sometimes you just have to trust that the experts will know what to do. Cissy's Parker heritage tells me she comes from good stock, but maybe a bit more temperamental than the Esty family. Anyway, I hope very soon to hear from the folks at Fahrney's. They couldn't get Cissy in for tests over the holidays. I'll keep you posted.

My silver Parker Sonnet Ciselle has been resting at an out-of-town fountain pen clinic – Fahrney's in Maryland. Cissy started choking and sputtering months ago. She had a couple of transfusions and we thought she'd be fine after that. But nothing we could do locally seemed to work. Early in December Cissy could hardly get out a whisper – not even a complete sentence. Sometimes you just have to trust that the experts will know what to do. Cissy's Parker heritage tells me she comes from good stock, but maybe a bit more temperamental than the Esty family. Anyway, I hope very soon to hear from the folks at Fahrney's. They couldn't get Cissy in for tests over the holidays. I'll keep you posted.

I hope Cissy is soon discharged from hospital and again writing beautifully. I myself have a Parker or two, and find neither to be as congenial in their task as the working class Esties.Check my opinion of Parker compared to Esterbrook in this Parker thread, post #29 https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/173987-parker-51-vacumatic/page__p__1773958#entry1773958

• 2 weeks later...

I've been meaning to post something in this topic for a while now. Fun idea Kathleen!

Lets see -

This weeks patient was a Green J that was in pretty rough shape... This one needed some work... real badly...

- First, a good cleaning was needed.

- Then an inspection, de-rusting, and re-setting of the J-bar were performed.

- A new sac was shellaced on, dusted in talc, and inserted into the pen.

- Next, both the top and bottom jewels had to be removed (with no anesthesia... )

- New jewels were then set in place and seated firmly were they should be.

- Then, the pen was in need of scratch removal. I hate scratch removal but it help so much with the look of the pen...

- After scratch removal comes polishing (which rendered beautiful results)!

- Then it was time to re-set the nib and feed and insert it into the pen.

- Finally a dip test on the nib along with some minor tine alignment. I love the way this 2668 nib writes! It's insanelysmooth ™

And here she is! A fully restored patient brought back to its former glory! This pen isn't for me (I'm doing the restoration for a client) but I'm still super happy about the successful surgery. I love seeing an Esterbrook restored to its full potential!

Regards,

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_LYYVIDzu-u8/TTneq5R166I/AAAAAAAAAY0/nWjcb-ny6jA/s800/DSC08377.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_LYYVIDzu-u8/TTnf3aNjuxI/AAAAAAAAAY8/8S36UBpEXBo/s800/DSC08381.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_LYYVIDzu-u8/TTnfWzPuDQI/AAAAAAAAAY4/WNgJpnlPeLE/s800/DSC08379.JPG

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

WOW! 777,

Your patient has recovered from all operations and procedures beautifully. That pen is now simply gorgeous! The # 2668 nib, properly tuned, can certainly be sweet! I know your client will be pleased when they receive the pen. This J is just radiant and makes me want to get out the polish on my pretty streaky J, I am thinking with some more care she may sparkle like this one.

It takes time and effort to restore an Estie, but they are so worth it!

WOW! 777,

Your patient has recovered from all operations and procedures beautifully. That pen is now simply gorgeous! The # 2668 nib, properly tuned, can certainly be sweet! I know your client will be pleased when they receive the pen. This J is just radiant and makes me want to get out the polish on my pretty streaky J, I am thinking with some more care she may sparkle like this one.

It takes time and effort to restore an Estie, but they are so worth it!

Thanks! I do love restoring Esterbrooks and fully agree that it is totally worth the time and effort. What color is your streaky J? I'd love to see a picture of it when it's fully polished!

Regards,

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.