Indian Fountain Pens

vikasruparelia

aren't wality and airmail the same company?

The voice of this guitar of mine, at the awakening of the morning, wants to sing its joy;

I sing to your volcanoes, to your meadows and flowers, that are like mementos of the greatest of my loves;

If I am to die away from you, may they say I am sleeping, and bring me back home.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• brahmam

• sajiskumar

• shrujaya

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Hari,

I didn't filled the barrel with ink but tried after dipping in ink. One pen ( the smaller among the three) is writing very well. very smooth. but the bigger one is very very scratchy. Also one side of the double sided pen is writing good, but the other side ( smaller nib) is not writing good. I can hear the clicking sound when writing. Also all the pens seems "very raw" with some kind of dust/material particles. I think I should clean all the pens before filling the ink in the barrels. will post the pictures later.

-saji

Disclaimer - I am a newbeee in photography, so bear with these photos.

KIM & Co. pens with Hero 330

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n489/sajiskumar/Fountain%20Pens/kim_001.jpg

KIM & Co Double sided nib pen with Hero 330

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n489/sajiskumar/Fountain%20Pens/kim_003.jpg

KIM & Co Double sided nib pen

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n489/sajiskumar/Fountain%20Pens/kim_002.jpg

Went to Kim & Co. today

Picked up the Big pen and 2 small pens - one for me and one for a friend

Also bought a Hero and 2 Bril inks for Rs.12/- each (Blue and Black)

Prices were amazing for Rs.260/- for the bigger one and Rs.130/- for the smaller ones.. amazingly cheap and very very smooth!

Showed my friends in the college and a few are itching to buy them now :)

The big one looks just like the double ended one in the picture but doesn't have the other side.

Thanks for the great info in this thread :)

......The third one is with a double nib.

My heart can't take this...a double nib eyedropper. :headsmack:

I love it! Think of the possibilities.

Nervous? No, I'm just thinking...

Hi...the double nib FP is really cute...when you mentioned it first I visualised it along the lines of the ruler pens of Deccan & Guider...but when you posted the pics, I was amazed...this is really great...if I may say, a new genre of Indian FPs...do these two nibs share a common ink reservoir or are there separate reservoirs for either nibs? Now I want to get one too...Kim & Co. would be wondering about this sudden surge in interest and sales...good...

Regards,

Shrujaya

Writing and posting about fountain pens exclusively on www.jaisiri.blogspot.in ... recent posts on Hema Pens (Hyderabad), Haul at Majestic (Bangalore), and Asoka Pens (Tenali)...

The shortcoming with this design is that the lower pen will be in "nib down" position when carried in a pocket, it might cause a leak.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Two more:

1. ARTEX

2. FLORA

Both are by Artex Pen Mart, Kolkata.

I used Flora much when I was in school with Chelpark and local Shah ink. It's ED pen with fine nib.

Edited by hsshrivastava

Would anyone know any well made indian pens with gold nib and available in different nib sizes

Ratnam, Ratnamson, Guider. all the three companies will make gold nibs as per your specs for you. Just send them your writing sample like the way you want your pen to write. If you dont have the pen, specify the line thickness in mm. I think lines upto 1.2mm are possible.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

The shortcoming with this design is that the lower pen will be in "nib down" position when carried in a pocket, it might cause a leak.

Hari, could this be the reason why such double ended pens were made as desk pens or ruler pens earlier?

Writing and posting about fountain pens exclusively on www.jaisiri.blogspot.in ... recent posts on Hema Pens (Hyderabad), Haul at Majestic (Bangalore), and Asoka Pens (Tenali)...

Hari, could this be the reason why such double ended pens were made as desk pens or ruler pens earlier?

Certainly, IMO. I think I would have liked a BP at the bottom end, just like the wing-sungs. i think we can request them to fit a BP at the other end.

Certainly, IMO. I think I would have liked a BP at the bottom end, just like the wing-sungs. i think we can request them to fit a BP at the other end.

Without altering the overall shape of the pen, of course...I like the shape of the pen...it is compact...and maybe the BP end need not have a clip on the cap...for obvious reasons...oh...just noticed...it anyway does not have a clip...good...then...

Edited by shrujaya

My personal experience with Guider had been pathetic. I spent tons of money to get their acrylic pen with gold nib (Rs. 4000/-+) and Dr. Lakshman Rao told me that the nib carried life-time warranty. The nib was plain awful - a sheer waste (very scratcy). Then it broke. I sent it to Dr. Lakshman Rao and he repaired the same and sent back. It was again awful and again broke. I sent it to him and this time he just fitted my Guider acrylic pen with a ten rupees nib and sent back the broken gold nib telling that he does not have the tip material (plain lie). My several conversations with him indicated that he just did not want to do the job. In the end, after my repeated failed attempts, I finally got fed-up with Dr. Lakshman Rao and exchanged my expensive broken gold nib and paid an additional Rs. 500/- for a "Warranted Nib" from Mr. Prathap Chetty of Gem Pens, Chennai. Oh! Did I forget to tell you that Dr. Lakshman Rao blamed me for not knowing how to write with gold nibs (fyki, I have a Parker 51, Parker Sonnet, Waterman, Swan, etc. all with fantastic Gold nibs and they all write like butter). Perhaps Dr. Rao's gold nibs require some special training!!!

Lessons Learnt from Dr. Lakshman Rao of Guider:

1) The pens offered are of good quality

2) The steel nibs offered are also of good quality

3) Their so called hand-made nibs are a total waste of money.

4) Contrary to their promise, Guider's gold nibs do not carry a life-time warranty. Since you do not get any written receipt or warranty receipt from Dr. Lakshman Rao, you are at his mercy - and trust me, Rs. 3000/-+ is no small amount.

5) Buy pens with steel nibs from Dr. Rao.

6) Stay away from his gold nibs (waste of money) and go for branded ones

Regards,

"Chennai Living" Brahmam

Would anyone know any well made indian pens with gold nib and available in different nib sizes

Ratnam, Ratnamson, Guider. all the three companies will make gold nibs as per your specs for you. Just send them your writing sample like the way you want your pen to write. If you dont have the pen, specify the line thickness in mm. I think lines upto 1.2mm are possible.

Oh! my dear, dear Free-will!

Tell me really, "Will I ever be free?"

Allow me until my body becomes still,

To sacrifice as a still standing tree!

- Just another tumble weed!

My personal experience with Guider had been pathetic. I spent tons of money to get their acrylic pen with gold nib (Rs. 4000/-+) and Dr. Lakshman Rao told me that the nib carried life-time warranty. The nib was plain awful - a sheer waste (very scratcy). Then it broke. I sent it to Dr. Lakshman Rao and he repaired the same and sent back. It was again awful and again broke. I sent it to him and this time he just fitted my Guider acrylic pen with a ten rupees nib and sent back the broken gold nib telling that he does not have the tip material (plain lie). My several conversations with him indicated that he just did not want to do the job. In the end, after my repeated failed attempts, I finally got fed-up with Dr. Lakshman Rao and exchanged my expensive broken gold nib and paid an additional Rs. 500/- for a "Warranted Nib" from Mr. Prathap Chetty of Gem Pens, Chennai. Oh! Did I forget to tell you that Dr. Lakshman Rao blamed me for not knowing how to write with gold nibs (fyki, I have a Parker 51, Parker Sonnet, Waterman, Swan, etc. all with fantastic Gold nibs and they all write like butter). Perhaps Dr. Rao's gold nibs require some special training!!!

4) Contrary to their promise, Guider's gold nibs do not carry a life-time warranty. Since you do not get any written receipt or warranty receipt from Dr. Lakshman Rao, you are at his mercy - and trust me, Rs. 3000/-+ is no small amount.

Regards,

"Chennai Living" Brahmam

I am sorry to hear about your experience with Guider. I have one gold nibbed pen from Guider. It is quite good. only problem was the cap holes which I blocked with wax. On their Jumbo pens, the feeders are inadequate and I recommend a replacement.

But,I appreciate you sharing your experience with Guider, it is always better to be informed.

Best

Hari

Edited by hari317

I think Ratnam, Guider, etc. depend on craftmanship, not on engineering - they do not know any engineering. My sympathy for these companies stem from the following reasons:

1. They are old per Indian standards and have made their traction into this domain pre-independence

2. They make good quality pens, save the feeder and nib

3. The fit and finish are reasonably ok

4. They are quintessential swadesi and carry some legacy.

Having said these, their technology is antidiluvian. I had made a bit of study on feeders and nibs (I would like to modestly state that my doctorate was in Mechanical Engineering). As you had rightly pointed out, the world has leapt forward in feeder technology and these guys use the most primitive feeders. Their joint between the ink tank and cap is acceptable; between the feeder holder and ink tank is also ok. But the way they mount clips dates back to the period of Hyder Ali (tic). But the worst is their assembly of feeder and nib to the holder.

But ok! My gripes are not about all these at all. We buy the Ratnams and Guiders out of affection and love. What ticked me off was the gold nib of Guider and their less than lukewarm response. The tip broke way and the Gold also seemed very hard and brittle. Gold should have some good malleability. The nib was poorly finished (not even buffed), The edges of the tines did not come together well and formed a wedge... I can go on and on. Long story short, Dr. Lakshman Rao does not know to make a gold nib and does not honor his words, "Life time warranty."

Anyway, an expensive lesson learnt!

Brahmam

Regards,

"Chennai Living" Brahmam

I am sorry to hear about your experience with Guider. I have one gold nibbed pen from Guider. It is quite good. only problem was the cap holes which I blocked with wax. On their Jumbo pens, the feeders are inadequate and I recommend a replacement.

But,I appreciate you sharing your experience with Guider, it is always better to be informed.

Best

Hari

Oh! my dear, dear Free-will!

Tell me really, "Will I ever be free?"

Allow me until my body becomes still,

To sacrifice as a still standing tree!

- Just another tumble weed!

I think Ratnam, Guider, etc. depend on craftmanship, not on engineering - they do not know any engineering. My sympathy for these companies stem from the following reasons:

1. They are old per Indian standards and have made their traction into this domain pre-independence

2. They make good quality pens, save the feeder and nib

3. The fit and finish are reasonably ok

4. They are quintessential swadesi and carry some legacy.

Having said these, their technology is antidiluvian. I had made a bit of study on feeders and nibs (I would like to modestly state that my doctorate was in Mechanical Engineering). As you had rightly pointed out, the world has leapt forward in feeder technology and these guys use the most primitive feeders. Their joint between the ink tank and cap is acceptable; between the feeder holder and ink tank is also ok. But the way they mount clips dates back to the period of Hyder Ali (tic). But the worst is their assembly of feeder and nib to the holder.

But ok! My gripes are not about all these at all. We buy the Ratnams and Guiders out of affection and love. What ticked me off was the gold nib of Guider and their less than lukewarm response. The tip broke way and the Gold also seemed very hard and brittle. Gold should have some good malleability. The nib was poorly finished (not even buffed), The edges of the tines did not come together well and formed a wedge... I can go on and on. Long story short, Dr. Lakshman Rao does not know to make a gold nib and does not honor his words, "Life time warranty."

Anyway, an expensive lesson learnt!

Brahmam

You are very generous in conferring doctorates, e.g. on Mr. GL Rao of Guider and Mr. Rafi of Kim.