Indian Fountain Pens

vikasruparelia

Hello Friends,

I am Vikas here and I am interested in making a list of "FOUNTAIN PEN MANUFACTURERS" in India.

Incase anyone is aware of the WELLKNOWN BRANDS of FOUNTAIN PENS which are made in India, then please suggest and I shall do the remaining search as to its manufacturer / source / main retailer etc.

I would liek to focus on EBONITE / CELLULOID / CRYSTAL /ACRYLIC / STEEL / GOLD / SILVER / HANDCRAFTED WOOD ETC

The names that I am already aware of are:-

1. RATNAM

2. WALITY

3. AIRMAIL

4. VARUNA

5. GUIDER

6. SWARNAS

7. PRASAD

8. LEADER

9. ADVOCATE

10. BRAHMAM

Please do assist me in adding as many names as possible. Also incase you have the address / state / store where you get these from then also let me know.

I further plan to meet all the manufacturers personally and then collate their writeups, their complete sets, their plans and share in this network.

This would include extensive travelling at my end, thus I have earmarked the year 2011 as the year of THE FOUNTAIN PENS and i am confident that it shall be worth it.

I have targetted to come up with a WHOLESOME LIST at the earliest so that i can plan my travels accordingly. (needless to state that i shall be sharing my memoirs and experience though this network)

Eagerly awaiting response from one and all.

Thanks and Warm Regards,

Vikas

vikas@righthr.in

Thanks and Warm Regards,

Vikas Ruparelia

YOU DON'T CHOOSE THE PEN, THE PEN CHOOSES YOU . . . . .

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• brahmam

• sajiskumar

• shrujaya

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Somebody already did this...

http://www.fountainp...ames-brand-etc/

Thanks for your REVERT. Very foolish of me to have missed this.

However i feel that a COMPLETE COMILED DATA IS NOT AVAILABLE YET. In India we have over 22 states and the companies highlighted herein are only from 5 odd states, thus i am sure there are many gems around which we must have missed.

Thanks once again for your inputs.

Edited by vikasruparelia

Thanks and Warm Regards,

Vikas Ruparelia

YOU DON'T CHOOSE THE PEN, THE PEN CHOOSES YOU . . . . .

• 2 months later...

How is your "Grand Trail of Indian Pens" going?

Oh! my dear, dear Free-will!

Tell me really, "Will I ever be free?"

Allow me until my body becomes still,

To sacrifice as a still standing tree!

- Just another tumble weed!

Bril (Chennai / Bangalore)

Bismi (Kerala). i doubt whether they still manufacture. During 80's and beginning of 90's, it was the biggest seller among school children.

i believe Kores also had

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

There are some other brands like Oliver & Scholar. Some years back the famous Rotomac and Reynolds had their versions of fountain pens.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Luxor makes some "parkers" in India.

Hi Sagar

The Luxor story is a little bit more complicated. Originally LUXOR was a trade mark from a firm producing typewriter ribbons and other stationary articels in Heidelberg/ Germany. The fountain pen producer Heinrich Hebborn, who had founted his firm in 1925 purchased the LUXOR trademark, possibly in the early 1930th when he moved from Cologne/ Germany to Heidelberg/ Germany. His old trademark is unknown. They produced fountain pens and propelling pencils, later ballpoint pens, felttips and other modern writing equipment.Actually the old Celluloid fountainpens from the 30th look a little bit similar to the Parkers. Heinrich Hebborn sold his firm to the Parker branch in 31 of May 1969. They had been producing writing articles under the name LUXOR- PEN Heidelberg until closing of the works in 1976. Since Middle of 1976 all Patents had been given to the Parker development center in Baden- Baden/ Germany.

Some years ago I visited the "paperworld", one of the greatest pen and paper shows in the world in Frankfurt/ Germany. I was very surprised seeing the name and the original LUXOR emblems, now from a producer from New Delhi, at one of the stands. I took a visiting card and began to talk to the general manager about the origin of the LUXOR emblems. His answer was nothing but: "It would be very very good for you to leave this stand immediately".

PS Luxor New Delhi dates its foundation to 1963.

Thomas :glare: :glare: :glare:

Edited by Kaweco

How do you know so much! :notworthy1: Thanks for sharing.

His answer was nothing but: "It would be very very good for you to leave this stand immediately".

This is really sad. May be Hari would be able to throw some more light on it.

His answer was nothing but: "It would be very very good for you to leave this stand immediately".

This is really sad. May be Hari would be able to throw some more light on it.

I have no idea about the origins of the Luxor company in India other than what is on their website. If they have done some trademark infringement, I think the company claiming to hold the trademarks should ligitate.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

BTW Kaweco, if possible, do post some pictures of the logos from the Original German Luxor pen company, it will be interesting. Thanks! Hari

......... If they have done some trademark infringement, I think the company claiming to hold the trademarks should ligitate.

Hello Hari

It is not illegal to take a foreign logo or name when the holder does not exist any more. When the owner does not refresh his claim, he will lose it.

Kind Regards

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add a few pen companies about Lucknow

Kaushala

Anupam Bhartiya

Medico

Kingson

none of these continue with fountain pens today though.

regards

Ashish

Recently on my visit to my home town Calicut (Kozhikode) in Kerala, India I went to a very old pen shop where I used to buy pens during school going days. Surprised to find that the pens shop is still in business has other pen shops have vanished along with many other places we frequently visit during our college days.

The name of the Pen shop is Kim & Company. On drooling around what they are stocking currently which is mostly various types of ballpoints (which I was not interested) I came across a good collection of ebonites FP's. Intrigued I asked about them and they said they make it themselves in their work shop. They have the blacks, striated (or marbled) browns and greens and even a big black jumbo sized one without a clip. They said they have decent sales of these pens mostly purchased by writers and teachers. The pen looked simple with good workmanship and they are all eye droppers and the pens have no name. I bought only one piece, a black one which looks a lot like the Advocate not being sure about the quality and this little issue I have about eye droppers as I have not purchased any once the filling system types were available in the market. Once inked after reaching home the pen started writing without even a single hitch and writes a smooth line between medium and fine with good flow with write amount of wetness and balance. On daily use for the last 2 weeks it has not skipped even once and is probably one of the best writer among my small collection of pens. I wish to bring to notice this point that there may be more such Kim & Company's who are making excellent pens in our country which we are not aware off.

My great regret at this moment is that I bought only one piece and this feeling was enhanced when my FP user colleagues started saying that I should have bought one for them (my next visit is probably at least one year away but I have one more reason to visit Calicut). I also bought a bottle of an excellent Chelpark Crimson Violet ink also from them.

Sorry! I was not able to post images of the pen stored in my PC, can anybody guide me.

pbhat

If you don't mind me asking, what was the price of the pen? They sound interesting. Maybe Google will give some details.

1 Homo Sapien BA Maxi & Mech Pencil, HS Misnight in Florence, 2 Van Goghs 1 Blue Ocean Midi S Nib/1 Cappuccino Midi 14k Trim, 3 MBs 149/144/221, 2 Wm Phileas 1 Blue w/ mech pencil, 1 Demo, 1 Snorkel Sent., 3 MVs Regatta/Invincia/Artista,2 EB J - BSP,I am Not Affiliated with any website, company or product I might mention on this site."

I have a friend who is making a trip to India soon and I would like to ask him to pick me up a pen.

What would you recommend for a superb, newly manufactured FP ?

Say < $50.00

thanks

Hex, aka George