Is Tibaldi Iride Nib Unit Threaded?

Pendel

My Tibaldi Iride has just arrived, and I have immediately became curious as to whether the nib unit unscrews or is a friction fit.

I know that many people replace the nibs on the Irides, so there should be a kind soul out there who can answer my question.

:-)

Leo

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pendel

• eric47

• Chris Chalmers

• rogerb

My Tibaldi Iride has just arrived, and I have immediately became curious as to whether the nib unit unscrews or is a friction fit.

I know that many people replace the nibs on the Irides, so there should be a kind soul out there who can answer my question.

There's a collar/sleeve that screws into the section. But probably best to that as is, and treat the nib as friction fit. That's what I did. (Some Stipulas Etrurias are also like this.)

P.S. Be careful with the feed on that pen, there's long thing tube (for the plunger) attached to it. So after you pull the nib, pay close attention to the feed position when putting it back together.

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

Thanks for the tip, Eric! Good point about the plunger tube!

I think the threads may be "stuck" on mine, and so I may have to follow your advice, unless some soaking can get the collar loose. Will see.

My first Iride came to me pre-loved and with two nibs, and I could just 'walk' the nib out and refit the other with no problem. I haven't tried anything with my new Iride, as I love the EF nib as it is. Good luck!

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

My first Iride came to me pre-loved and with two nibs, and I could just 'walk' the nib out and refit the other with no problem. I haven't tried anything with my new Iride, as I love the EF nib as it is. Good luck!

"Walk" as in wiggle out, as opposed to unscrew?

Yes, that's what I did as well. Chris and I are suggesting that you do *not* try to unscrew the nib.

Stick a piece of scotch tape and the nib and pull or wiggle side-to-side a bit to walk the nib out.

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

Yes, that's what I did as well. Chris and I are suggesting that you do *not* try to unscrew the nib.

Stick a piece of scotch tape and the nib and pull or wiggle side-to-side a bit to walk the nib out.

Many thanks! I promise that this Iride will not be unscrewed!

• 4 weeks later...

Mine unscrews quite easily, and 'seats' quite securely when screwed back. As has been said, the tube location requires care.

Can one or more of you Iride-owners advise me on the correct filling procedure, as I seem to squirt-out all the ink it's sucked-in, when I screw-down the plunger.

ATM, I am filling it by removing the nib and using a syringe!

BTW, that plunger has a helluvva spring on it, doesn't it? Requires a firm grip and a strong thumb!!

TIA

(edited for typos)

Edited by rogerb

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

Do pull the nib and feed please, in order to avoid unrepairable damage.

I only recommend pulling nibs these days, after the damage I have seen caused by someone (not me fortunately) trying to unscrew nib/feed/collar assemblies which were stuck in the section for whatever reason. Don't forget that celluloid shrinks, which means that it may be stuck for other reasons than just a little ink here and there. Furthermore, you never know whether the manufacturer, or a pen repair person, has used some kind of sealant or even glue to keep it in position.

In order to remove a nib and feed, don't wiggle it either; it may break the feed, especially on older pens with ebonite feeds (speaking from experience here :D), or even worse, damage the section. What you need to do is grab nib and feed with something that gives you extra grip, like a piece of rubber matting, and pull it out straight, away from the barrel, along the line of the barrel axis.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Can one or more of you Iride-owners advise me on the correct filling procedure, as I seem to squirt-out all the ink it's sucked-in, when I screw-down the plunger.

If needed, you can empty the pen pressing the plunger down slowly. To fill my pen I put the section in the ink and press the plunger down fast several times, allowing for a little pause (1 or 2 seconds) between the pressings for the ink to flow into the pen. After some time you will notice that no more air is getting out of the pen, since the barrel will be already full of ink. I then slowly press the plunger down and screw it.