Sheaffer Calligraphy Set/converter Compatibility?

P.A.R.

I've found thispen set at a local art store. However, because it doesn't come with one and I'd like to use bottled ink, I'd like to know if thisconverter will work. It appears to be a Sheaffer "viewpoint," but I'm not sure.

Assume no affiliation to recommendations.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/NoodlersCreaper/sig0001.jpg

Alternative Noodler's Ahab Nibs

"Free" Custom Fountain Pen Cases

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• P.A.R.

• oraxia

• lws

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about the converter you reference but the squeeze type converters that fit No Nonsense pens work. They are available from Peyton Street Pens, or you could PM FPN member terim (I hope I spelled that right).

Pilot 78G, B->CI, Pilot Green cartridge

Sailor 1911M, H-M, Sailor Jentle Oku-Yama

TWSBI Diamond 530, M, Pilot Iroshizuku Yama-Budo

Parker "51" Vacumatic, 14K F, Sailor Jentle Yama-Dori

Pelikan M201, Binderized F, Noodler's Green Marine (sample)

99% of Sheaffer cartridge-feed pens use the same cartridges/converters - the only exceptions (IIRC) are the very slim pens which needed a narrower converter.

- Lewis.

Li-aung Yip (Lewis)

B.Eng. (Elec&Electronic) + B.Sc (Mathematics) James Cook University - MIEEE GradIEAust

http://lws.nfshost.com/pix/Laplace-Sig.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• 1 year later...

Actually, I have a similar situation but I have an older Sheaffer Calligraphy pen. The nib says medium italic (made in USA) and the plastic cartridge says Skrip.

Does this converter work with this pen?

Thanks for your help!

____

Art Y.

Just be sure to really wash those pens and let the ink flow for a bit before really trying to write with it... I just picked up a set a week ago and... wish I had really flushed the nib/feeder before trying it out. It's a sharp pen with difficulty in starting/skipping.

And they'll dry out quickly if the humidity is low. The line variation is great though.

Arthury, that converter will probably work but post a picture of your pen first so we can make sure.

I have an old generation NoNonsense calligraphy pen set and these piston converters do NOT fit. The only thing that will fit the old ones is the old squeeze type converter, which is virtually impossible to find these days.

http://www.isellpens...ffer%20nos.html

This link will show you what the old style looks like. And if you scroll down you will see the piston converter listing clearing stating that it will fit most CURRENT models. It will NOT fit the old style.

And take note, it's also a lot less expensive than the one at Amazon. ( no affiliation)

Hope this helps.

edited for spelling and spacing...

Edited by dex138

My daughter just uses regular international cartridges on her Sheaffers, looks atrocious but she says it never leaks and you can buy them anywhere, so who is right and who is wrong?

I have two No Nonsense pens with the Sheaffer caligraphy nibs in medium italic and broad italic. The piston converter pictured in the links is what I use in both pens, and it works quite well. I had tried the squeeze converter, but found it too wobbly on the section.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I took the piston converter out of this New Balance and tried it in all of the old No Nonsense pens and it fit all of them. HOWEVER the two metal ones have a spring in the bottom that prevents the converter being used unless that spring is removed. The spring is there incase you want to use the other section shown with a rollerball or ball point refill.

Peyton Street does have the old squeeze filler for sale.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii101/matthewsno/DSCF4040.jpg

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

• 6 years later...

So I just realized that I have one of these old (80s era) sets kicking around and it's great to hear that they can be converted to a non-cartridge pen :)

Has anyone sorted out if there is a non-italic nib that can be purchased for these? The English on the box just calls it a fountain pen, but the other languages call them NoNonsense, so that might be what mine are. I mean, if I need to get another pen and cannibalize it for a nib, it's probably better to just pick up a new pen at that point, but if a nib can be gotten for a pen body I already have in the house, that might be nice?

Nevermind me! I'm just an inkling, a mere pigment of your imagination...

So I just realized that I have one of these old (80s era) sets kicking around and it's great to hear that they can be converted to a non-cartridge pen :)

Has anyone sorted out if there is a non-italic nib that can be purchased for these? The English on the box just calls it a fountain pen, but the other languages call them NoNonsense, so that might be what mine are. I mean, if I need to get another pen and cannibalize it for a nib, it's probably better to just pick up a new pen at that point, but if a nib can be gotten for a pen body I already have in the house, that might be nice?

Most of the NoNonsense pens used the very same section as the "School" pens.

My Website

Most of the NoNonsense pens used the very same section as the "School" pens.

Thanks for the heads-up :) I will keep an eye out for that, although it doesn't seem like replacement nib assemblies are really sold outside of maybe eBay (or my Google Fu is simply weak, which is often the case). I'll probably find something eventually, I'm just surprised I don't see replacement part listings for pens that seem like they are still in production... But being still very much new to fountain pens, I may have unrealistic expectations.

Nevermind me! I'm just an inkling, a mere pigment of your imagination...

Thanks for the heads-up :) I will keep an eye out for that, although it doesn't seem like replacement nib assemblies are really sold outside of maybe eBay (or my Google Fu is simply weak, which is often the case). I'll probably find something eventually, I'm just surprised I don't see replacement part listings for pens that seem like they are still in production... But being still very much new to fountain pens, I may have unrealistic expectations.

There has never been much of a replacement parts market in fountain pens. And the NoNonsense pens have not been made in decades I believe.

My Website

The calligraphy set for s easily found in craft and book shops. Inexpensive and fun, go buy a second set. If you have a knife honing stone or micro mesh abrasives, you can form the nibs or round for the corners. There is no tipping material, these nibs are cheap and soft steel. A few licks on an abrasive is all it takes to make irreparable changes. Forget converters, just buy some Sheaffer cartridges and when they’re gone, move on to better pens.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.