• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• saskia_madding

• watch_art

• mori45

• Malcy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After heat setting the TWSBI feed, my m625 nib has been writing like a *dream* for MONTHS. No flow problems, nothing.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/TWSBI/DSC08855.jpg?t=1312480918

I am so happy; this pen rarely ever leaves my rotation.

After heat setting the TWSBI feed, my m625 nib has been writing like a *dream* for MONTHS. No flow problems, nothing.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/TWSBI/DSC08855.jpg?t=1312480918

I am so happy; this pen rarely ever leaves my rotation.

That's great to know. My Pelikan nibbed TWSBI was nicked by someone at work so I have a second one but haven't swapped the nib yet, but will some time (this second TWSBI nib is a lot better than the original). :)

p.s. I have had a problem on both pens that the ink flow runs down and stops after an extended writing period. Moving the piston forwards makes it work again by pushing more ink through but this is not ideal. I have found that this flow problem is due to the surface tension developed by the ink. Inks that do not move around the ink chamber freely will cause this problem, you know - the ones that will sit at the piston end of the chamber with no visible means of support. Inks that slosh freely around the chamber and follow gravity down the narrow tube towards the feed without getting stuck allow the pen to write from full to empty without interruption. One such ink is Diamine Mediterranean blue which seems to have a very low surface tension, on the other hand MB Royal Blue seems to have a high surface tension and exhibits the problem every time.

Yeah my does the same thing, maybe once a day my 530 with the Pelikan nib will just stop writing. I take the nib out and re-position it on the feed and it starts again.

Have fist, will travel

My deviantArt page

• 5 months later...

Rather than starting a new thread, I figured I'd go back to this one.

I like the TWSBI overall and I'm having fun fiddling with the mechanics of it; however, the nail of a nib gets to me.

Clearly, I need to swap the TWSBI 530 nib for something else. I am absolutely in love with the width (Japanese F), the smoothness (buttery), and the softness (not necessarily the flex -- I mean the way the nib seems to be cushioned when it lands on paper) of the F nib on my Pilot Vanishing Point. What nib could I put into the TWSBI that matches these characteristics?

I saw someone put a Sailor nib on a Diamond. I am not sure which Sailor nib. You will need to search the Twsbi nib threads.

Edit- Ah! it was a blog post, there you go, have fun. Let us know how it works out.

Edited by ExcaliburZ

Have fist, will travel

My deviantArt page

This sounds really exciting to try. I wonder if it will be similarly easy to do with the Vac 700 when that comes out...

Probably, the 700 looks to have the same nib assembly as the 530/540 but will have a larger nib, so different nibs from what you can put on the 530/540.

Have fist, will travel

My deviantArt page

• 1 month later...

What we need is an innocent third party who will manufacture front-ends for the TWSBI that has threads on the writing end to accept pel. nib units.

I tried that but failed.

The Pelikan nib unit is a tiny bit too long to properly fit in a redesigned TWSBI section.

Although it's possible, insufficient wall thickness compromises mechanical integrity (my new section quickly snapped in two)

A solution could be to make the section a bit longer, but in that case the cap might become a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw someone put a Sailor nib on a Diamond. I am not sure which Sailor nib. You will need to search the Twsbi nib threads.

Edit- Ah! it was a blog post, there you go, have fun. Let us know how it works out.

Thank you SO much for that link! I read it and it led me to another post, which put a Pilot #5 nib on a TWSBI. That is just perfect for me.

Thank you SO much for that link! I read it and it led me to another post, which put a Pilot #5 nib on a TWSBI. That is just perfect for me.

That is great to hear. Please upload pictures and share with the rest of us.

Have fist, will travel

My deviantArt page

That is great to hear. Please upload pictures and share with the rest of us.

Finally got a chance to take a few pictures. Below is a TWSBI Diamond 540 ROC Edition with a Pilot #5 EF 14k nib from a Custom 91. The writing experience is perfection...

The full set of photos is available as well on Flickr.

post-49789-0-42551400-1330809903.jpg

post-49789-0-24033900-1330809915.jpg

post-49789-0-62227600-1330809893.jpg

post-49789-0-41563600-1330809928.jpg

Edited by trhall

And me! Can't wait to try it.

Great photos of the ROC and the Pilot #5!

Edited by jde

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

And me! Can't wait to try it.

Great photos of the ROC and the Pilot #5!

Looking forward to your thoughts on a TWSBI + Pilot combination, Julie. Your posts on Peaceable Writer are always so thorough. Thanks for the kind words on my photos.

Clearly, I need to swap the TWSBI 530 nib for something else. I am absolutely in love with the width (Japanese F), the smoothness (buttery), and the softness (not necessarily the flex -- I mean the way the nib seems to be cushioned when it lands on paper) of the F nib on my Pilot Vanishing Point. What nib could I put into the TWSBI that matches these characteristics?

In my case, I'm using a Pilot #5 EF 14k nib from a Pilot Custom Heritage 91. But it is more "firm" feeling than my F nib Vanishing Point. Julie (aka - jde) is going to try the same thing, but with a Pilot Custom Heritage 91 with an SF nib (soft-fine). It has a lot more "give"/"spring" in it compared to my EF nib.

So, you can hear what her experiences are once she gets her pen put together, or give it a try yourself! Hope that helps.

In my case, I'm using a Pilot #5 EF 14k nib from a Pilot Custom Heritage 91. But it is more "firm" feeling than my F nib Vanishing Point. Julie (aka - jde) is going to try the same thing, but with a Pilot Custom Heritage 91 with an SF nib (soft-fine). It has a lot more "give"/"spring" in it compared to my EF nib.

So, you can hear what her experiences are once she gets her pen put together, or give it a try yourself! Hope that helps.

I love that description of the VP nib, "cushioned when it lands on paper." That's it! Sadly, there is nothing like a VP nib. It is an experience unto itself, ya know? The Pilot SF I can give more feedback once I get into my new TWSBI in a few days. What I like about that SF nib is that it allows a bit of shading to come through, unlike a regular F Pilot nib. IMHO. trhall is more of a Pilot aficionado than I.

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

Haven't had my first TWSBI for two weeks and I'm already scouring the internet for old nibs to try stuff like this... Come on guys, stop trying to achieve perfection! But really, this is awesome and I am excited to see what modifications continue to evolve for this pen. If I don't give in to the Bad Boy w/ Angel Wings, I'll have to devout myself to achieving some of the work done in this thread. :notworthy1: Kudos to all of you!

This thread is old, but I just discovered it now. I wondered if anyone tried replacing the TWSBI feed with the Pelikan feed as well to get over the flow problems. Are the diameters of the feeds the same I wonder.

Read this thread and am a bit confused now, what with heat setting and knocking things out etc... I'm new at disassembling pens, but I'm getting my first TWSBI soon and I'd like to experiment so: Can you just take a Pelikan M200/400 nib/feed unit (the part which unscrews out of the section), screw it in and that's that? Or would you need to separate the Pelikan nib from its feed an put it on the TWSBI feed? How are chances this would work for someone who's never done it before? (Yes, I know, there's bound to be a first time but...)

Would be great if somebody could clarify.

Edited by elderberry

Read more about me, my pens, photography & so on my little blog